Using Australian Purchased iPhone in US?

Scat_Pack

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey smart people.
Not sure if this is the best place to post this questions, but here it goes...
I've been a dedicated Mac person since 2005, and have wanted an iPhone since the day it came out. But I absolutely DESPISE AT&T (I was a Cingular customer when AT&T bought them out -and shortly after the take-over the service sharply degraded while the prices quickly sky-rocketed -not to mention the billing "errors" that resulted in me getting double-billed TWICE). I've looked into unlocking an iPhone but from everything I've read, if I buy one new and have a problem with it, I'm boned -because I unlocked it. My question is, if I buy an iPhone in a country that sells them new already unlocked (I'm leaving for Australia later this week, 2-6-09, and I've read they're commercially available there already unlocked) and brought it back to the US and used it on a non-AT&(totally blows)T network, would the phone still be covered under my "legitimately unlocked new from Apple" warranty if I had a problem with it?

What do you folks think?

Thanks,
Scat Pack in Madison, WI.

PS. This whole deal with Apple and AT&T laying in bed together forcing customers to get corn-holed by AT&T in order to get a cool Apple product leaves Steve with a serious black eye, and many customers with a very foul taste in their mouths. Very disappointing.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I think apple would honor your warranty as long as you had proof of purchase. However, I dont think they would honor an unlocked US version. Also, sorry to hear about your AT&T experience. I have been very please with AT&T. I have been with them on and off for 8 years. I had short stints with sprint and verizon. I have to say, I prefer AT&T for a number of reasons. But I can say their phone service and customer service has improved greatly over the last 2 years.