Next-gen iPhone evidence lurking in latest firmware?

alphajuliet

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I just read this on Engadget.... anyone have any inside info on this??

Next-gen iPhone evidence lurking in latest firmware?

by Chris Ziegler, posted Jan 28th 2009 at 10:37PM
Could Apple possibly be working on another iPhone? Well, yes, of course -- but Mac Rumors may have stumbled upon the first solid evidence that there's a major hardware revision in the works (and no, we're not necessarily talking about the nano). Seems that the latest firmware revisions have some juicy metadata buried deep within that refers to a product code of "iPhone2,1" -- a decidedly higher number than the "iPhone1,2" representing the current iPhone 3G. What's more, an ad network is reporting web hits from an iPhone2,1, so it looks like this is very much the real deal; only question is, just what the heck is it?

w w w.engadget.com/2009/01/28/next-gen-iphone-evidence-lurking-in-latest-firmware/]Next-gen iPhone evidence lurking in latest firmware? - Engadget

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I saw this as well last night posted right here on the front page. This should not come as a shock to anyone. June/July will come quick...

Last edited:

Madscotsman

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
and as such, I now find myself in that age old delimma, do I get an iphone 3g now, or wait for 5-6 months for the next generation.....decisions decisions

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I would buy it now because there is a good chance there will be a market for out of contract iPhones. I assume ATT will offer the same deal as last time that lets iPhone users to upgrade and start a new 2 year contract early.

alphajuliet

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
do you think this will be the case in the UK too? if I get the phone now and then few months time a HD is released... you really think they will let you upgrade THAT early??:confused:

legendofdon

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I would buy it now because there is a good chance there will be a market for out of contract iPhones. I assume ATT will offer the same deal as last time that lets iPhone users to upgrade and start a new 2 year contract early.

ATT only let 1st gen iPhone owners upgrade because anyone who bought a 1st gen iPhone didn't get a subsidy even though you agreed to a 2 year contract. With the iPhone 3G, you got a subsidy so you can't upgrade early and get another subsidy until your contract allows you to upgrade. I'm sure there will be "full retail" pricing for non eligible people just like with the iPhone 3G.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
ATT only let 1st gen iPhone owners upgrade because anyone who bought a 1st gen iPhone didn't get a subsidy even though you agreed to a 2 year contract. With the iPhone 3G, you got a subsidy so you can't upgrade early and get another subsidy until your contract allows you to upgrade. I'm sure there will be "full retail" pricing for non eligible people just like with the iPhone 3G.

I would not be so sure on that. For the iPhone 3G, even if you were not eligible you could get a 3G with a subsidy. I think we should hold off before we have more info. Who even knows if a new iPhone is around the corner. I'm beginning to think we may just get a large software update. Which would be nice.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I would not be so sure on that. For the iPhone 3G, even if you were not eligible you could get a 3G with a subsidy. I think we should hold off before we have more info. Who even knows if a new iPhone is around the corner. I'm beginning to think we may just get a large software update. Which would be nice.

You just made my day! I am getting my iphone in 13 days, and I have not been able to stop thinking about how pissed I would be if a whole new phone came out within a few months. A huge software upgrade seems logical... If could fix a large percentage of the things that most people complain about without the need to spend 500 bucks. :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You just made my day! I am getting my iphone in 13 days, and I have not been able to stop thinking about how pissed I would be if a whole new phone came out within a few months. A huge software upgrade seems logical... If could fix a large percentage of the things that most people complain about without the need to spend 500 bucks. :D

Keep in mind I am simply just taking a wild guess. So don't hold me to that.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm beginning to think we may just get a large software update. Which would be nice.
Could be possible, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Apple always seems to release products in a yearly fashion around the same time like the iPhone in June/July and Macbook in September/October.

Plus the rumors of the 2,1 showing up and unknown iPhones showing up in weblogs leads me to believe we will see a hardware upgrade in June. Just doesn't seem to make sense with more competition coming out for Apple not to crush them with something newer.

My only reason for thinking they could possibly hold off is if they wanted to move to a 2 year cycle with iPhones so there aren't as many different version floating around out there, so they can keep it simple. If a new 3rd gen iPhone comes out then it gets harder and harder for apps to support all models. Although this isn't that big of a problem as some apps (mostly games I would assume) could be made for 3rd gen iPhone. Just like you can't play a PS3 game on a PS2.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Could be possible, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Apple always seems to release products in a yearly fashion around the same time like the iPhone in June/July and Macbook in September/October.

Plus the rumors of the 2,1 showing up and unknown iPhones showing up in weblogs leads me to believe we will see a hardware upgrade in June. Just doesn't seem to make sense with more competition coming out for Apple not to crush them with something newer.

My only reason for thinking they could possibly hold off is if they wanted to move to a 2 year cycle with iPhones so there aren't as many different version floating around out there, so they can keep it simple. If a new 3rd gen iPhone comes out then it gets harder and harder for apps to support all models. Although this isn't that big of a problem as some apps (mostly games I would assume) could be made for 3rd gen iPhone. Just like you can't play a PS3 game on a PS2.

What has been spotted around could be a smaller iPhone... nanoish perhaps. So that would still be a new iPhone, just a lower end model. I would not put it past them. I know they have denied it but think about it, all those case companies releasing iPhone Nano cases... could they all be wrong?

Also I want to add, that I really feel that software is the most important thing put into any device... that said, a new major software update would be a really good idea for Apple. That alone would crush anything out there today. Who has better software currently? Windows Mobile? Blackberry? Palm? The answer is nobody. And yes I said not even Palm with their soon to be released Pre. That will not be the phone that saves Palm but that is another thread. The iPhone hardware is capable of handling a lot. People may gripe about a better camera, but I'm sure that to could be improved via software as well. Just a thought.

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
What has been spotted around could be a smaller iPhone... nanoish perhaps. So that would still be a new iPhone, just a lower end model. I would not put it past them. I know they have denied it but think about it, all those case companies releasing iPhone Nano cases... could they all be wrong?
I guess I just I don't think there will be a nano because it doesn't make sense with anything Apple has said in general about the iPhone. They want to keep it simple and this would be the opposite of that. Plus if the screen ratio was different then apps would need to be created to a specific phone which I think Apple wanted to avoid.

Also I want to add, that I really feel that software is the most important thing put into any device... that said, a new major software update would be a really good idea for Apple.
I agree with you on this, but software can be better with more powerful hardware or limited by underpowered hardware (however you want to look at it). I know as computers got faster and loaded with tons of ram developers in general got lazy and didn't make their code efficient, but if you write really good code and have hardware that can work 2x as fast than before that can only make the whole experience better.

That [software update] alone would crush anything out there today. Who has better software currently? Windows Mobile? Blackberry? Palm? The answer is nobody. And yes I said not even Palm with their soon to be released Pre. That will not be the phone that saves Palm but that is another thread. The iPhone hardware is capable of handling a lot. People may gripe about a better camera, but I'm sure that to could be improved via software as well. Just a thought.
Yeah, I'm not so much interested in a better camera, but faster CPU and more ram so there will be less hang ups, better graphics, background applications, etc.

I think the most important update with the phone could be the battery. There is a lot of new battery technologies out there still in development and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has invested in their own technology. Imagine Apple being able to claim to have a 3G phone that can last 2x as long as any competitor?

The good news is we only have to wait like another 4 months or so to find out. Not sure what's more addicting, watching LOST and trying to figure it out or trying to figure out what Apple will do / release next? :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm simply throwing more ideas out there. Bottom line is that it is Apple we are talking about. Anything is possible.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what's more addicting, watching LOST and trying to figure it out or trying to figure out what Apple will do / release next? :D

The Island is just a glitchy iphone app... eh eh eh ?

But seriously... I would have to agree with Bad Ash on this one, although hardware would be awesome, It would seem like most of the qualms people have with the iphone could be fixed with a software update... Look at the crackberry forums. They all complain about the same things:

1) Copy paste
2) MMS
2) Push Notifications
4) Landscape SMS

If Apple were to put out a huge update that covered all of those things... I think you would be hard pressed to really find too many downfalls in the iphone. (The would no doubt)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR