BGR's Top 10 things they hate about the iPhone
Interesting list and interesting list of comments. 1/2 of these don't matter much to me, but there are certainly some ticked off folks commenting!
The top 10 things we hate about the iPhone
They did one for Blackberry too.
- 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM #2
- 01-20-2009, 10:08 PM #3
- 01-21-2009, 02:42 AM #4
- 01-21-2009, 09:09 AM #5
What I thought was interesting (and worth posting) was the fact that it seemed there were a bunch of iPhone OWNERS over there slamming the phone. I expect the Crackberry folks to chime in, but most of those seemed to be iPhone owners.
- 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM #7
- 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM #8
Im going to dissect this post. It seems stupid top me.
1. You canít use custom sounds for email notifications, SMS, etc.
2. Copy and paste. Sorry, but itís ridiculous at this point.
Agreed. But not ridiculous.
3. When forwarding an email with an attachment, the iPhone sends it out locally. That means if you have a 1MB attachment, you have to send 1MB worth of data when forwarding. This doesnít happen on Windows Mobile or the BlackBerry ó itís sent from the server. Not cool.
Never had a problem with this. how trivial.......
4. No unified inbox. At this point, thereís no reason you should have to go through the rigmarole of switching through tabs and endless menus to get to another email inbox. Cut this down, give us color-coded emails that correspond with that particular account ó something!
Never had a problem with this. how trivial.......
5. Video recording. Again, itís technically possible, but we donít have it.
Jailbreak your phone. Also, how trivial.......
6. The touch screen capture button in the Camera application is horrid. Letís use one of the volume keys or something to take a picture. Itís not a good setup.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?
7. You canít forward text messages. Something that is a no-brainer just isnít here.
8. There isnít a way to delete individual calls from the recent call list. Not that we need to hide anything from our girlfriends or anythingÖ
9. No file structure that is user-accessible. That means you canít save any attachment that isnít a photo, you canít download files from websites, etc. Additionally, each application can only access its own file structure so you can forget about doing anything sexy.
Again. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!? Never been a issue..
10. The push-background notification service is still nowhere to be found.
With my headphones in this service works great.
Wow this has to be one of the lamest blog posts ever.. yet, I am commenting on it.
- 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM #9
- 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM #10
- 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM #11
I don't text, but I do IM... and I just can't imagine, ever, under any circumstances, wanting or needing to forward a text to someone else (even for business)... and I'd certainly hope MY texts wouldn't be forwarded to others.
People have some weird-azz needs.
- 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM #12
Well the only thing I could use SMS forwarding for is if someone sends me a funny joke that I would like to share with others. Then I could just forward it to whomever instead of having to remember how it goes and then retype it. But that doesn't happen often enough to get to the point where I care.
- 01-27-2009, 07:48 AM #13
9. No file structure that is user-accessible. That means you canít save any attachment that isnít a photo, you canít download files from websites, etc. Additionally, each application can only access its own file structure so you can forget about doing anything sexy
So there is no file manager for the iphone? I cant download a file that doesn't have a recognized extension? There really isn't a user accessible file structure?
- 01-27-2009, 07:58 AM #14
- 01-27-2009, 08:13 AM #15
- 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM #16
- 01-27-2009, 12:36 PM #17
- 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM #18
1. Who cares about custom sounds.
2. I use copy and only a few times a year.
3. If I had to forward a large attachment I would log into the email service on the net and sent from there.
4. I liked the unified inbox on BB but it is also advantageous to keep things separate. Its not difficult to switch to the next inbox.
5. Who cares about shooting video with a phone. The quality is lousy on all phones. My cheapo camera it tiny and takes excellent video.
6. The touch screen capture button in the Camera application is fine.
7. I have never needed to forward a text message.
8. If you need to delete individual calls from the call history list then you are a lousy jerk.
9. I do like to be able to access/modify the file structure as well as store and download unknown file types but I only do this a few times a year.
10. The push-background notification service is still nowhere to be found. What does this mean?
- 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM #19
- 01-27-2009, 03:20 PM #20
- 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM #21iPhone Nanite
- 5 Posts
as a fresh convert I just feel the need to chime in here, specifically in regards to some of smileyboy's comments on the list.. first off because it has never been an issue for you does not mean it isn't an issue for someone else. It takes all types of nerds to make the gadget world go round....
Most notable for me are the forwarding of txt msgs then copy & paste. While I know some people may never use these types of functions I personally use(d) both quite regularly and the simple fact that these are not native is somewhat mind boggling. I could understand if we were talking newer functionality etc but we're talk dinosaur tech. Sure you may not need to copy/paste or forward text.... i do. Often. Case in point... I just got a text from a friend's band...I wanted to invite some other people... easiest way... forward the text & append it. NOPE can't do it... I'd have to retype all the info etc... kind dumb. But if I can't forward the txt maybe I could just copy the important stuff & paste it in a new txt.... oh nope can't do that either.
The rest.. video recording & so on.... THE thing that makes it all so confusing / frustrating is why? when virtually everything else on the market does, why go and specifically lock people out.
& the file structure bit... yeah on the BB you could save virtually anything to your phone, get to your desktop, plug in and see your phone as a mass storage device and off load it (so somewhat eliminating the need for a jump drive)..again without hacking it or buying more software.
I understand that not everyone needs or would ever even notice some of these things & sure jailbreak it etc... but why should I have to hack up my device or purchase additional software for something simple that should be ready to go outta the box.
Don't get me wrong so far so good (about a week) and I can say this... for what the iPhone does better than BB it does WAAAAY better & there's more shiney bells & whistles to keep you distracted... but the BB just simply does communications way better and seems to be way more personally configurable...
I will be reading up on jailbreaking my phone and such and who knows maybe that will make all the diff but I'm not sure. But the ability to get the additional software to patch what I see as holes in design with no overhead, as it were, will make some of these issues less painful.
Last edited by bassface; 02-12-2009 at 06:36 PM.
- 02-12-2009, 09:43 PM #22
Amazon.com: Sandisk 16GB Microsd Card: Electronics
No need to carry cards around. Just 1 card in the device.
- 02-12-2009, 11:15 PM #23
I always noticed this. I will admit I wasn't a fan of the first gen iPhone. But when i was still rocking my blackberry I had nothing but respect for the 3G iPhone. I would occasionally ask him to send me a picture sarcastically...
I was talking to a buddy who has the G1 Phone and he started ripping into the iPhone when i told him i was getting one. Its just endless hate...
- 02-13-2009, 12:34 AM #24
- 02-13-2009, 12:53 AM #25