Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Default hotmail and msn email

when i try to set up my hotmail email address i go to other and put the password and stuff...but then it tells me that i have to subscribe to something...does this mean i have to pay??..is there any other way to get hotmail on my iphone?
    iPhone Intermediate

Subscribe? For Hotmail account? That's odd.

Can you post a screenshot? (Hold down home button and then push the the sleep/awake button at the same time)
    T w i t t e r: mrallenu

"Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant ****in' Mark Twain ****. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone."
    --Otis B. Driftwood
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

It says that I need a windows live plus subscription. What's that?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Hotmail doesn't like to allow POP3 support to external companies. They charge for that service (stupid). I don't think it will let you create an account on the iPhone. There's 2 options to work around it. Go to hotmail settings on you computer and set it to forward all mail to your Gmail account (which iPhone supports) or get mBox Mail from the app store which is a nice implementation of hotmail to the iPhone.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

ok thanks for the help
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Hey...I tried the way to forward my email to my gmail but it says you can only forward email to a msn account. Help??
    iPhone Intermediate

I think he was saying forward the hotmail email to your Gmail account.

"Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant ****in' Mark Twain ****. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone."
    --Otis B. Driftwood
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Apparently they now support pop3. I tried it and it worked for my free hotmail account I've had for years. Here's the info link:

Side note: I live in Canada which is supported. If you live in the US it's not yet supported so you might have to use that forwarding method. It's under hotmail options.
    iPhone Intermediate

Did the option that reyza suggested work for you? :o

--Otis B. Driftwood
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

To follow up on Reyza's post about MSN/Hotmail allowing free POP access on the iPhone:

I just tried to install my 2 *free* hotmail accounts in the e-mail app.

Apparently, it works! I can now send/receive from my hotmail account for free; I don't have one of those premium accounts.

Good news for hotmail users who've been dying to get their e-mail on their iPhones.
    Has anyone else tried it?

Guess I can ditch my Izymail service now...
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 02-17-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Glad to hear it is working out for you now!

Always nice to have your email on a device that is designed and powered for it

--Otis B. Driftwood
    iPhone Nanite

Default The correct way

the correct way: windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=6ae4b9c2-1c01-4e9c-bdc5-12da8728f4c2