iPhone 2.3 Firmware Release Date?

When do you think iPhone 2.3 firmware is coming?

• January

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • February

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • March

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • April

Votes: 25 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Just wanted to see when everyone expects to see the iPhone 3.0 firmware released?

Normally by this time we would start to hear the rumors of it being in the hands of developers, but so far nothing. This is starting to make me doubt my guess of a mid-late January release.

I've attached a poll to this post as well as putting it up on my When Will Apple? blog.
when will iPhone 2.3 firmware be released? | When Will Apple?

What do you think will be included? I'm thinking they will finally get Push service put in, but who knows that's been so delayed they might just wait for the next iPhone. Turn by Turn? Copy / Paste?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuartino

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
Do you think they will quick release a new version to try and break the dev-team unlock? Perhaps they have been holding back cut and paste, so that they could release something to counteract the unlock! OMG I sound like Mulder and Scully...

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
OMG I sound like Mulder and Scully...
Haha

I'm not sure what to think. Could be they threaten the devs not to discuss the upcoming release or they only released to a smaller core group to kind of do what you are saying with a quick release to give the jailbreak / unlock guys less info to work with before the release.

Or maybe they aren't going to release on their ~2 month schedule.

Still surprised we haven't heard anything about it and it's been a month 2.2 was released.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would rather they wait an extra month or so and actually update/fix something worthwhile rather than just giving us a quick fix to hold us over for the next big release. :p

Oh, and I am trying to wait for the next iPhone...do not want to discuss it but I am simply waiting with my first gen 8GB. :cool:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I voted Feb, but I believe it may be in June or July, lol.

I believe 2.2.1 is next and will debut in Feb.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I believe 2.2.1 is next and will debut in Feb.

Yeah, I put 2.3 assuming that 2.2.1 wouldn't happen as 0.0.x are usually for bug fixes and there aren't any bugs I've heard about with 2.2. So anyone that thinks it will be 2.2.1 vote for the date here as I'm just wondering when people think the next release will be out.

phile

Dec 27, 2008
www.sector404.org
Despite being a new iPhone user, I already have a few specific wishes for the next iPhone update, two of which seem universal:

1) Support for rotation in the email app
2) Copy & Paste

and one I have not seen discussed:

3) The ability to custom map the fields when syncing Outlook contacts.

The reason for #3 is that the iPhone maps Outlook's primary Email field as "Work email" and Outlook's Email2 field as "Personal email". If there is already a way to reverse this behavior, I am not aware.

-phil

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Despite being a new iPhone user, I already have a few specific wishes for the next iPhone update, two of which seem universal:

2) Copy & Paste

I second that! :D

I am using biteSMS for texting and have become very used to being able to switch to the landscape mode for a more natural keyboard feel. It is a pain when going to the native email app and it does not allow such a, what most would consider basic, featuer. :eek:

joeya7x

Jan 4, 2009
myspace.com
Im still hoping for Push notification. And I feel confident that will be on the next firmware upgrade, Beejive isnt as useful without push... would like to multitask while using Pandora as well..

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I put 2.3 assuming that 2.2.1 wouldn't happen as 0.0.x are usually for bug fixes and there aren't any bugs I've heard about with 2.2.

Are yee Daft man? :eek:

No bugs? SMS failures all over the place, battery drain from apps that won't die, continued new and mysterious failure modes, bricking phone with every new software update.

No bugs?

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Fix that AND MMS for att.....that bothered me the most about being with att..no pic msgs =(

Whats that got to do with ATT. The phone does not do MMS for any carrier.

Jailbreakers have movie camera capability. Why an't apple release THAT? The hardware is willing, but Steve says NO.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Are yee Daft man? :eek:

No bugs? SMS failures all over the place, battery drain from apps that won't die, continued new and mysterious failure modes, bricking phone with every new software update.

No bugs?

Daft? Interesting choice of word there... anyway, no I'm actually pretty smart and when I said no bugs I didn't mean random problems with a tiny percent of devices which are probably due to jailbreaking or hardware issues. You should go by apple and see if you can trade in your busted iPhone :eek:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Whats that got to do with ATT. The phone does not do MMS for any carrier.

Jailbreakers have movie camera capability. Why an't apple release THAT? The hardware is willing, but Steve says NO.

Because then you will have the bigger majority of people that don't know any better complaining that their battery drains too fast when they take 1 hour of video. I'm sure we will see this in a future version though. Also, from what I've seen so far on the JB phones the video is pretty crap quality, I'd rather use my new TZ5 that can do 720p video :)

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Because then you will have the bigger majority of people that don't know any better complaining that their battery drains too fast when they take 1 hour of video. I'm sure we will see this in a future version though. Also, from what I've seen so far on the JB phones the video is pretty crap quality, I'd rather use my new TZ5 that can do 720p video :)

...actually, the video quality is pretty nice considering it is off a phone and developed by one man himself and not Apple :cool:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Anyone else getting the feeling that 2.2 was the last iPhone update in the iPhone 3g era? No rumors of a beta in devs hands yet???

Seems like they are adding a lot of features in preparation for a 3.0 release that will probably come out like 2.0 did with a new iPhone.

phile

Dec 27, 2008
www.sector404.org
I just thought of a 4th feature I would love to see in a future update, if not 2.3: the ability to crossfade music. I have so many albums that require a smooth transition from track to track, in order to fully appreciate the intended listening experience.

2) Copy & Paste

and one I have not seen discussed:

3) The ability to custom map the fields when syncing Outlook contacts.

The reason for #3 is that the iPhone maps Outlook's primary Email field as "Work email" and Outlook's Email2 field as "Personal email". If there is already a way to reverse this behavior, I am not aware.

-phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2