iPhone battery draining faster than normal

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Ok, I'm not sure if this is because of 2.2 or not, but my battery is dropping faster than it should be. I also recently setup my phone for iPhone development with xcode, but don't see why that would effect it.

One thing I did notice today I took my phone off the charger around 9am EST and by 11am I was at about 80% battery. I looked and the standby was 1 Hour, 59 Minutes and usage was at 1 Hour, 18 Minutes. I didn't use the phone for anything but checking email once or twice (just refreshing the inbox, not reading). Plus the phone has seemed warm last night when it drained fast.

I rebooted the phone last night and shut it off for like 15 mins as well. Still having the same problem today. I've synced it with iTunes again and shut off push email and going to see how it does later in the day, just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this?

Also, this is not jailbroken, so no background apps

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That's quite odd...I get better battery life with my jailbroken 2G iPhone and that's while checking email, texting, and using iPod :confused:

Have you recently purchased this phone? If not maybe a restore (I know it's a pain) will help clear any "bug" that has come to kill your phone.

I also highly suggest taking it by the Apple store as you have made no modifications to it ;)

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, right now I'm just going to try a few different things so I can try to track down the problem before I do a restore. So far though since I did a fresh sync with iTunes and turned off push email the usage is in line with what I have actually used.

It seemed like something was stuck in the background running, but since I had shut down the phone a couple times not sure why that would happen. I'm hoping the sync resolved whatever was stuck running.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
That happened to me when I upgraded to 2.1. The phone was actually hot to the touch. I did a hard reset, and everything was fine after that. I think it happened to Bad Ash as well.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Cjvitek is correct. Do a full restore from scratch via iTunes. The lock and home button hold down is just a simple reset. You must wipe your phone out completely via iTunes.

And when restoring RESTORE AS A NEW IPHONE! Can't stress that enough. Do not use a backup file.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Cjvitek is correct. Do a full restore from scratch via iTunes. The lock and home button hold down is just a simple reset. You must wipe your phone out completely via iTunes.

And when restoring RESTORE AS A NEW IPHONE! Can't stress that enough. Do not use a backup file.

Yeah, problem still seems to be happening, not as bad as earlier, but still draining too fast.

This really sucks. I just got all the provisioning and stuff setup for my phone in Xcode.

So this basically means I have to start at 2.0, with no images, text or apps or anything correct? Basically the same as if I got a brand new phone?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, problem still seems to be happening, not as bad as earlier, but still draining too fast.

This really sucks. I just got all the provisioning and stuff setup for my phone in Xcode.

So this basically means I have to start at 2.0, with no images, text or apps or anything correct? Basically the same as if I got a brand new phone?

You lost me there... you want to be sure to be updated to the latest firmware 2.2. And yes, do a full restore via iTunes and do not use a back up to restore.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, been programming for 3 hours, that didn't make much sense.

Was just asking if it was like starting with a brand new iPhone (ie 2.0) like I did on July 11th. Sucks, but I guess it will be nice and run faster for a little while, so at least there is plus.

FlapiPhone

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello Dizzy,

I thought I was the only one having an issue with yhr battery draining rather quickly since I upgraded to firmware 2.2. But I also installed some new apps and updated some old one right around the same time. I charged my phone last night around 10PM and used Loopt for a brief moment and then felt asleep. When I woke up and started checking emails and surfing the web a bit I got the 20% warning. Have talked on the phone or anything much since I charged. I wonder if loopt has an issue closing out? Come to think about it I have been checking Loopt lately maybe daily. I'm gonna do a soft resset and not use Loopt and see if I notice any improvements.
Another issue I have been having related to AOL mail failing to move emails to sub folders under my saved folder. It also won't allow my to delete items which essentially moves items to the Trash folder.
Thanx 4 starting this thread.

FlapiPhone

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Dizzy I don't believe in full and complete restores unless your phone is spitting up blood hen it tries to push email--exactly, it's just ridiculous.

Restore via iTunes and just delete and reinstall all apps downloaded. And yeah it's like Christmas or Hannukah or Kwanza or whatever your fancy
for a holiday is came early

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Dizzy I don't believe in full and complete restores unless your phone is spitting up blood hen it tries to push email--exactly, it's just ridiculous.

Restore via iTunes and just delete and reinstall all apps downloaded. And yeah it's like Christmas or Hannukah or Kwanza or whatever your fancy
for a holiday is came early

Sorry but I'm going to completely disagree with you. Anyone with a lot of experience with smartphones knows if for some reason you need to restore/hard reset due to a problem you may be having you never... ever... restore a old back up file on to the fresh install. Who is to say the issue you are having is not on that back up file? So sure a fresh install and lets just put our problem right back on the device by restoring that old backup! I'm not the smartest guy in the world but please take my advice on that Dizzy.

Spend the extra few minutes to get it right. Chances are you will have less or NO issues.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you can isolate the issues--you do not have to go to the extreme. I have had my share of smartphones also.

If you are good enough (or simply want to take the time to find the issue) you can find the issue rather than just heading straight for a restore! :rolleyes:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If you can isolate the issues--you do not have to go to the extreme. I have had my share of smartphones also.

If you are good enough (or simply want to take the time to find the issue) you can find the issue rather than just heading straight for a restore! :rolleyes:

You missed my point... :rolleyes:

"Anyone with a lot of experience with smartphones knows if for some reason you need to restore/hard reset due to a problem you may be having you never... ever... restore a old back up file on to the fresh install."

Notice the "IF FOR SOME REASON YOU NEED"...

Last edited:

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I read what you typed clearly.

I said that you do not have to do a restore (completely without backup file) if you can find the real issue.

I know that sometimes it happens that it is something in the backup file but I like to test it first by not restoring from a backup...if still acts up, then I would do a complete restore...would blow but I just like to really look at every possible answer. :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I read what you typed clearly.

I said that you do not have to do a restore (completely without backup file) if you can find the real issue.

I know that sometimes it happens that it is something in the backup file but I like to test it first by not restoring from a backup...if still acts up, then I would do a complete restore...would blow but I just like to really look at every possible answer. :D

All I'm doing is to try to get across IF you need to restore not to use a backup file. That's just me. That's all. ;)

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Sorry but I'm going to completely disagree with you. Anyone with a lot of experience with smartphones knows if for some reason you need to restore/hard reset due to a problem you may be having you never... ever... restore a old back up file on to the fresh install. Who is to say the issue you are having is not on that back up file? So sure a fresh install and lets just put our problem right back on the device by restoring that old backup! I'm not the smartest guy in the world but please take my advice on that Dizzy.

Spend the extra few minutes to get it right. Chances are you will have less or NO issues.

I did a complete restore without restoring any backup since it really doesn't matter too much. I use exchange so once I setup my exchange account again i had all my calendar and contacts back. I had to setup my 3 email accounts (1 being the exchange) again, but that took all of 4 mins. The only other downside was having to retype username / password into some apps. I actually think this was a good thing since it's like having a fresh install and everything seems a touch more zippy.

And of course the battery super drain is gone now! Thanks for the help Ash.

@MrEClass I did try to figure out the problem as I'm the type of person that really needs to know why, plus I am in the IT field. But seeing as I depend on my phone as the lifeline for my IT/Web Dev business I just needed this fixed. So after playing around with it for a day I decided to just go for the sure fix and swallow my pride on trying to understand exactly what it was :eek:

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I understand about not restoring from a backup. What I don't understand is, what about all the other program data *besides* usernames and passwords, that you can't just "re-enter"? For instance, in Hold 'Em Poker, how would I restore my millions of dollars in winnings without the backup?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I understand about not restoring from a backup. What I don't understand is, what about all the other program data *besides* usernames and passwords, that you can't just "re-enter"? For instance, in Hold 'Em Poker, how would I restore my millions of dollars in winnings without the backup?

I think in that case you are just SOL :eek:

Would be nice if the games themselves could be backed up outside of the phone backup. Although I think games are storing data online now so that would help too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice