Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Default Go with Iphone or Blackberry?? HELP FAST

My husband has an Iphone and I currently have the brand new HTC Fuze from At&T. I am returning the Fuze because I am just not a huge fan of the phone. I like the Iphone but was curious if anyone actually uses the phone for business purposes??

I would be using the phone for email pretty often and AT&T is trying to talk me into the blackberry bold. I have used blackberrys before but I like the versatility of the Iphone.

Opinions are appreciated!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Here's a nutshell response. iPhone can do lots more, but the Blackberries are always about email. They do push email very well so if email is you're biggest need, get the Bold.

For everything else, especially in the multimedia/web browsing/maps areas, the iPhone will be the one to have.

You're asking on a iPhone site, so i'm hoping you're expecting iPhone biased responses.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Beginner

Thanks for the response. Honestly, yes I figured I would get more Iphone push responses, which is okay with me. Your point is pretty much the same point I keep making in my mind. If I wanted a phone that did strictly email I would go with the Blackberry BUT I don't want to base my $300 phone purchase strictly on work email, they aren't paying this bill I AM!

Thank you again for your response, I am about 99% sure I'm going the Iphone route today.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Basically what Reyza said.

-The Bold is a "business device" that has multimedia capability, while the iPhone is a "multimedia device" that is (I'm told) slowwwwly gaining acceptance in the business world.
    -If e-mail/productivity are most important to you, the Bold (the most beautiful device this side of the iPhone) is your best bet. The iPhone does e-mail too, but come on: berries are still the king. On the other hand, the iPhone is supreme as far as music (iTunes) and web browsing go (I've tried the Bold's browser; it doesn't compare to the iPhone, but who does?).
    -Both 3G powerhouse phones suck a LOT of battery.
    -Both are incredibly versatile. I'm guessing the Bold has superior PIM features.

It's a tough one. When I upgraded from a Treo 700p, these were the 2 phones I narrowed it down to: IMO, these 2 phones are overall, the very best that the mobile world has to offer right now. And they're both backed/supported by the 2 biggest superpowers of the smartphone world: Apple and RIMM. It was a tough decision, but I did go with the iPhone--I don't work in the corporate world and music and web browsing are important to me for everyday living reasons. Also, the iPhone gets updates faster and more efficiently than anyone else. RIMM was the king for years, but that seems to be changing with Apple's growing dominance.
    -The bottom line is that you really can't go wrong either way. Both the Bold and the iPhone 3G represent the best of the best right now. Just don't buy a Treo/Centro...
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 11-23-2008 at 09:21 AM.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

If it matters, I can type faster on the iPhone's keyboard than I can on any physical keyboard. And I did have a BB Bold as a second device. Solid phone but I got bored real quick.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I was trying to decide between the same two, since my contract with sprint is up. The email doesn't seem to be an issue. After having treos, I found myself using the touchscreen more anyway, especially when the keyboard messed up on one of them. There's a comparisson by boygeniusreport that gives a good review.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

My friend has a Bold and i played around with it. It is definitely media capable and the screen is beautiful. The one thing that it lacks is a convenient service like the App Store. I have around 75 Apps on the iPhone, I don't know if i'd be able to reach that with the Blackberry.

You'll be happy with either one, they are both powerhouses. I would use either.
    iPhone Intermediate

I personally love the iPhone and believe any business user could get what they need out of this device.

I am currently a student and use my phone for: texing (A LOT), web browsing, iPod (24/7), email, games, and occasional apps like Digg or Facebook.

Here is what I found on ArsTechnica's iPhone 3G shortly after it's release:

"If you're a business user, then we feel the answer is no, it's not worth it. The original iPhone was not made to be an enterprise device, and the new iPhone isn't either. Although some baby steps have been made, BlackBerry users will find themselves frustrated with the lack of complete Exchange support and may even end up returning their devices, or at least carrying an iPhone alongside a BlackBerry. We already know several who have done this, and it will happen to many more." --ArsTechnica
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

For those that say the BB is all about emails. That may be true but the iphone does have exchange which the emails are just like the BB.

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts

I use my iPhone with my exchange server which I use for my business so, I don't see the big deal about BB and email.
    MrP
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

My friend you have reached out and therefore I will provide you with the insight you seek-
    Sister you must come to understand one thing- patience. I own both an iPhone and a bb curve(work). I used to be a huge crackberry addict but had to try out the iPhone when it came out. The first generation left much to be desired (although it was still amazing) and do to certain missing feature (3rd part apps/push email/keyboard) I had to go back to the berry. When the 3g was anounced along with MobileMe I was once again lured in. Perhapse this would be it- and so once again I journeyed to the outer limits of AT&T where I sat in a beach chair all-night so that I would be assured a new iPhone 3g. I was not dissapointed. MobileMe while a bit rough has been amazing(I have just set up all other email account to forward to MobileMe so I have push all round- pretty much) and the 3rd party apps have been priceless. Only one thing now standeth between me and phone perfection- the keyboard. Here is where you must apply the key virtue I
    Mentioned earlier sisteratience! For in my struggles to accept what the iPhone has provided me I have reached the fullfilment of a trmendous human persuit- I have become one single iphonoperson.
    In other words if you really work on using the iPhone keyboard and don't just surrender and go back to the others you'll find the keyboard will be even more effective.

I just turned 30- literally 13 minutes ago so I'm wise now trust Me- LOL
    Go iPhone!
    MrP
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

So did you pick up an iPhone!!!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Yeah, I'm also curious to see which path she chose...
    :-)
    MrP
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

Your killing me here! What did ya get?!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Maybe she went with the iPhone since she has not returned...
    iPhone Intermediate

Haha guys guys giver her some time...she is obviously in that "I-just-got-my-iPhone-and-cannot-stop-playing-with-it-and-trying-all-its-awesome-features" mode like we were when we first got our iPhone
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    12,455 Global Posts

Get both. I love my bold and iPhone! Great combination.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default iPhone vs BB? Observation

I was on an airplane last week, sitting between 2 Blackberry users (myself having been a BB user for 6 years). Both were hard core, confirmed BB fanboys, but both were open (curious) enough to be interested in my iPhone. I spent an hour going over some of the features and capabilities, particularly business focused (brought up my Powerpoint presentation that I had just presented, using my iPhone and an AV cable - no laptop required), showed them how to manage email in far, far fewer steps, then on to other things like productivity apps, time and task management, even music and video.

They were amazed - as well as dismayed that their beloved BB, although it could do many of the same things, was clunky and cumbersome in accomplishing similar tasks. Both wanted to know why their IT departments banned iPhones from their use, when, obviously, the device and software was far superior to what they were using. Being an IT guy myself, I know that IT decisions are often [and erroneously] made based on comfort and familiarity, and seldom on cost effective performance - don't want to change what we already know how to support, even if the alternative is an improvement; although the transition is often expensive. :-(
    iPhone Intermediate

I think it's going to mostly depend on your IT department. I use it for business but the BB has certain security features that are much more mature than on the iPhone. That said, I am our IT director and we allow iPhone. I can't imagine using a BB. This phone works so well and until we mandate a policy that the company pays for the phone, I am sticking with iPhone.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kirkrr View Post
    I spent an hour going over some of the features and capabilities, particularly business focused (brought up my Powerpoint presentation that I had just presented, using my iPhone and an AV cable - no laptop required), showed them how to manage email in far, far fewer steps, then on to other things like productivity apps, time and task management, even music and video.
    Don't mean to threadjack, but how did you get the PP on you iPhone... and what other business apps are you using??
    iMore Beginner

I have both an iPhone and a BB Curve 8310. I have to add some caveats to the email prowess of the Blackberry.

1. A BB is only a fantastic email device IF you use it in conjunction with a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) account. If you however use it as a BIS device, it falls short. With BIS depending on your type of email account POP/IMAP etc you may not get instant push, deletes on both sides etc.

2. Emails are timestamped at the point the Blackberry receives the email, NOT when the email was sent. So if you turn off your BB at night, the next morning when you turn it on it will go ahead and retrieve all your emails that were sent while the device was off. The emails will all be timestamped when you turned ON your device. If you're on a plane and travelling to the other side of the world, your last 24hrs of emails are all time stamped incorrectly. Very irritating!

3. Inability to view rich text emails. I know this can be fixed with an add-on, but I'm not about to spend my own money on a company device. OS 4.5 is supposed to enable this but it only works with BIS for now. You'll have to wait for your company to upgrade your BES servers in order to work with it.

4. Attachment handling is stone age compared to the iPhone. It takes ages to "Open Attachment" because the RIM servers have to first convert it to their format. Formatting is ugly and zooming in/out is a real pain.

On the application front, there is an ugly truth that no one wants to hear about BB's - i.e. you can only install applications in the built in RAM. That means on a Bold you are limited to 128MB. It doesn't matter if you have a 32GB MicroSD card, the card can only store images and videos. You also have to leave about 10-15MB of the RAM free for operating purposes. So realistically you are limited to about 20-30 apps on a Bold. On my curve I barely install 10 apps before running up against the RAM limitation. Compare that to an iPhone with a 500MB (/) partition. The iPhone partition can also be resized with PwnageTool if necessary.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

This is one of the most fun questions ever, and one I have been obsessing about for months. Frankly, I don't believe the iPhone=media Bold=business tagline is terribly fair. I chose a Bold, but I clearly read theiphoneblog.com because i love my iPod Touch.

What I can say is that the real difference,for me, is not to do with the nuanced differences between hardware (i love the Bold's screen and keyboard), browser (iPhone all the way), or applications (AppStore has lots of fun stuff) but rather some critical differences that you notice right away.

1. iPhone messaging is unusable compared to Blackberry. Even Beejive IM doesn't touch Blackberries. Try carrying on a Google Talk conversation from an iPhone then checking mail and coming back to the conversation. I promise you'll understand the difference right away.

2. Blackberry apps tend to be more aware of the cost/scarcity of wireless connectivity. In other words, you can save stuff from the browser easily for offline use, and most blackberry apps tend to recognize that either a) data costs you, or b) you may not be online. The best example is that BIS mail supports ways to reduce data consumption when you roam/travel, and always-on messaging means you don't have to pay through the nose for SMS when you are abroad.

3. Lock-down. Apple locks down certain things, like saving files from the web to your local filesystem. Now you don't sound like jailbreak-material to me, so be aware of this. On my blackberry I can save files from the web for later use. Apple makes me use other apps like Instapaper or AirSharing which seem to protect me, from, well, myself.

But I love zombie attack, the look of iPhone mail, guitar simulators, etc... and I think the Apple mobile platform is really really cool and holds lots of potential.

So I say if you want a real communications device, Blackberry is a better choice until Apple comes out with push notifications. Then it'll be a level playing field. So I think your choice comes down to guessing whether Apple will get your current iPhone these features, or whether you'll have to wait around for the next-gen hardware.

Good luck!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

step one buy an iphone
    step two jailbreak it
    step three never look back
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

BB's are nice but they are not truely versitile devices. Without a BES it's just not worth it if you need more than email which is the only thing they are really known for.
    iPhone works with exchange and has a good amount of software available for it. If all you need feom your phone for work is to respond to email then the iPhone is more than enough. At this point in the smartphone game BB is no longer the "King" it's just the most used because it was first out the gate. Just about every smartphone made now can compete with BB and do so much more.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

I posted this in another thread but it applies here as well.

What really has me stumped is how some people claim the iPhone is a "stop and go" phone. That is something I'd expect to hear from a first time user. And that can go for any new device. For me WM is the slowest OS out there. The past 2 months I've had the BB Bold and HTC Fuze. It was my first BB but not my first WM device. Hands down the iPhone beats both at speed. There are way too many steps with the BB - there are some shortcuts sure but over all just a pain to me. You are ALWAYS hitting the BB button which became a hassle. Good example was to simply send a text. You could just not hit a simple keyboard button like enter. You had to hit the BB button, then scroll down to hit send. Just not very convenient.

And for the poster above who said that BeejiveIM does not compete with BB messaging? You are kidding right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast