Can't update Apps

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Ok, First thing I will say so I am not beheaded for coming into this forum with a less than brainwashed view of the iphone, I like the interface and apps but it doesn't work for me as a phone. This is after 4 different iPhone 3G's at the request of Apple and ATT.

That said, gone round with Apple, Apple agreed to trade my 3G for a 32GB Touch but then I realized I wouldn't have a camera, and I like the apps with the camera.

So they suggested I try one of their brand new in a box (did they change something) iPhone 3G's. Fine, whatever, i doubt it will work as a phone (even if it doesn't drop calls, still very low on my functionality needs) but I will carry it along with a Smart phone.

Here is my questions, My current # 4 Iphone 3G (not the new one coming)
runs apps fine with no sim card. I use wifi. But now I can no longer update apps, sometimes I can load new ones, but never can update.
It downloads the update then gives me the message "Unable to download application" "such and such application will be available for download when you log in to the iTunes Store on your computer" DONE OR RETRY

I have logged in, rebooted, synced backup up, everything short of a restore and get the same message.

Does this mean: I can't update apps without an iphone sim? or do I just need to restore, there is a glitch?
I don't plan on having an active sim in the "phone" but pop my att in once in a while to browse.

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
hmmmmm thats odd because as far as i know your itunes account is what gives you access to app downloads not your att account...have you tried updating your apps via iTunes on your computer and then syncing your iPhone? That will update them for you.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the iPhone' functionality as a whole-
Might i ask what other things (i know you mentioned dropped calls) frustrate you about the phone features? There are many apps (a-lot of them free) which might help fill in the gaps for you.

Hope the updating by computer will work for ya! Let me know.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ok, First thing I will say so I am not beheaded for coming into this forum with a less than brainwashed view of the iphone, I like the interface and apps but it doesn't work for me as a phone. This is after 4 different iPhone 3G's at the request of Apple and ATT.

That said, gone round with Apple, Apple agreed to trade my 3G for a 32GB Touch but then I realized I wouldn't have a camera, and I like the apps with the camera.

So they suggested I try one of their brand new in a box (did they change something) iPhone 3G's. Fine, whatever, i doubt it will work as a phone (even if it doesn't drop calls, still very low on my functionality needs) but I will carry it along with a Smart phone.

Here is my questions, My current # 4 Iphone 3G (not the new one coming)
runs apps fine with no sim card. I use wifi. But now I can no longer update apps, sometimes I can load new ones, but never can update.
It downloads the update then gives me the message "Unable to download application" "such and such application will be available for download when you log in to the iTunes Store on your computer" DONE OR RETRY

I have logged in, rebooted, synced backup up, everything short of a restore and get the same message.

Does this mean: I can't update apps without an iphone sim? or do I just need to restore, there is a glitch?
I don't plan on having an active sim in the "phone" but pop my att in once in a while to browse.

Did you dump your Treo Pro??? :confused:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
You won't be beheaded for bashing Apple or the iPhone, but you will be for thinking you would be! ;) Give us some credit, my man!

As to your problem, did you log into iTunes Store and authorize the PC you are using prior to first syncing your iPhone?

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I will be honest, and understand that phones are very individual, that is why there are so many. I had the first two Smartphones on the Market. Visor phone which was a plastic earpiece that snapped into the top of a Handspring PDA. I also had some Samsung.

I need texting for sure, I work with the Deaf, texting and the Deaf go together.
I am a photographer, I love taking pictures, I love sending pictures.
I need instant email. My work uses outlook, I use Gmail and very heavily use Google Calendar.

That said

Treo Pro was great.
Likes: I didn't mind the keyboard at all. I like the form factor.
GPS Awesome, exchange great. Palm WM tweaks very nice. Camera and Video OK.

Cons: Hated the browser (Seduced by iPhone) but not a deal breaker. Cracks were the deal breaker. I don't believe that the cracks are only from a bad batch. I don't believe that Palm will deal well with the cracks, Handspring might of, but Palm isn't in a cash position to replace everyones phone 3 or 4 times.

Iphone (I am a 1/2 PC 1/2 Mac guy at home):
Likes: the most beautiful interface I have seen. OS beautiful. Love applications like Toodledo that are unmatched anywhere. Browser fantastic.
Camera OK.

Deal Breaker iPhone: iPhone is terrible for me (and it seems like a lot of people now) with dropped calls like no tomorrow. I need the phone to be a phone. MMS I know some people thing this is not important, it is to me. People send me pics from all over the country. I have traveled extensively people MMS me regularly and me back. There is no excuse for this omission other than ATT not wanting to use the bandwidth. When people MMS it is a total nightmare to retrieve. Camera bad lag, but useable (yes I have had 4 3G's, it isn't that i got a bad one). No instant mail. Me mail is poor, the online me mail is poor. No video is a bummer too, why a multimedia company would not include video baffles me, but I am sure it is ATT.
No visual indicator on the front for voicemail, email or text messages wtf? I have to turn it on to see that I missed the weak vibration?

Anyway I am keeping an Iphone to play with the apps and browswer

Updating apps on the pc: I will try that thanks!

I am currently trying the G1 and LOVING IT!!! Wish it had video (it will I think) but meets my needs fantastically.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal