Round Robin: Casey Needs iPhone Help, Tips, Tricks, and Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Okay, well first of all..Hello TiPb faithful!

Before I start, I have to admit something: I'm not exactly a stranger around the TiPb neck of the woods. For the very keen observers and most loyal of TiPb fans, I'm Casey Chan on the front page and I've been contributing news, reviews, and articles to the site for the better part of the year. Even more, I've gotten to know a lot of you guys!

But after Android popped up in the form of the G1, I've been focusing my efforts over there (AndroidCentral.com, for those who don't know!) and have been using the G1 as my sole device. But no more! For the 2nd Annual Smartphone Round Robin, I have to give up "the next big thing" in Android and give a try to every device in the SPE family. Meaning iPhone 3G, AT&T Fuze, Blackberry Bold, & Treo Pro here I come!

More info here: Smartphone Experts Round Robin

And well what do you know, my first week will be spent with the device that is near and dear to our hearts: You guessed it, the iPhone 3G!

Since I'm still confident in my iPhone ability, I'm not asking for specific help (yet) but instead wish to ask for your FAVORITE and MOST USED tips and tricks. Anything cool that has come up recently? Any apps you can't live without? Let me know!

To make it easy for you guys, here's what I'm asking for:

1. Favorite thing about the iPhone 3G
2. Least Favorite thing about the iPhone 3G
3. Most Used 3rd Party App
4. Most Played Game
5. Should I Jailbreak? And if so, for what 'killer apps'?

Once I hit some snags with the iPhone I'll definitely be back for more help but in the meantime, my (second) first impression on the iPhone 3G?

Damn, it looks and feels better than I remember.

This is an Official Round Robin Contest Thread -- Details Here

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Ha! And I'm busy with the Android G1, so how's that for twists and turns round SPE way!

Common Team TiPb, the prodigal son has returned, let's help him out!

(Count-down to Bad Ash urging you to jailbreak in 5... 4... 3... 2... )

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
.....1..... >>>>>Jailbreak<<<<<< and be sure to follow any of my guides on the front page... ;) The search feature is your friend until I provide some links. (I'm in a hurry at the moment and at work... Will chime in some more sometime tomorrow with some links.)

Last edited:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Tough one to start! If there's just one I'll go with UI/capacitive screen/UI-capacitive screen integration (not sure if that really counts as one!)

Lack of turn-by-turn navigation app(s).

Most often launched: NetNewsWire (basic but fast and nicely done news reader).
Used for most amount of time (hours per day): either WunderRadio (AFAIK the only internet radio app that will play all BBC channels) or eReader (Stanza is slightly better in at least one way but I have a ton of eReader-only content from my Palm days).

4. Most Played Game
Super Monkey Ball, but I'm probably the wrong person to ask as it's more-or-less the only game I've played.

I've never felt the need.

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me

The user interface. Kills it.

Lack of a unified inbox and, er, yeah... cut and paste :p

About all equal. I use the built in apps *far* more.

4. Most Played Game

Enigmo.

I haven't *ducks and runs from Bad Ash tackle*

Here is a question back at you:

What do you want to do with your iPhone?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Greetings Casey,

I enjoyed the Round Robin last year (when I was using a Treo 680) and look forward to seeing the results this year. It would be cool to have each "reviewer" actually rate the phones numerically in a range of categories (ease of use, 3rd party apps, producitivity, etc) so that we can get direct comparissons.

Anyway, in response to your questions:

I would have to say the user interface. Yes, it has all the nice bells and whistles (GPS, Wifi, 3G) but there are other phones that have most, if not all of those features. The way Apple ties it all together in the user interface is the most appealing to me. It is easy to add apps, run any program, and the core functionality is so tightly integrated it almost runs itself.

A lot of people will probably say thingsl ike MMS, cut and paste, but the thing I miss the most is the ability of an app to run in the background. While push notification might eliminate some problems (like being able to set up alarms for certain programs, even if you aren't running it) there are certain limitation to apps not being able to run in the background. One thing I would LOVE is some sort of usage tracker - not minutes or data, but programs. Find out which programs I use the most. It would also be great to have some sort of power saver settings (turn off 3G/GPS/Wifi at 11:00pm since I am going to sleep, turn them on again at 8:00am). But without an application that can run in the background, those are impossible.

This is a toughy. Aside from games, my most used 3rd party app is probably Car Care, for tracking car use and mileage. I also use movies, units, recorder, and dobot to dos regularly, as well as easy relax ultimate. Recently Grocery IQ was added to my list and I use that at least once every two weeks when I go grocery shopping. There are probably about 8 to 12 "core" 3rd party applications that I use on a regular basis. Aside from those listed above, I also use i.TV, facebook, and wikipanion.

4. Most Played Game

My game playing goes through phases, depending what I have just downloaded and has attracted by attention. Currently, I am fluctuating between Glyph, Aurora Feint, Field Runners, and Texas Hold Em. Trism is probably a good game that highlights some of the features of the iPhone, as does Raging Thunder.

I jailbroke for a while, but I found I didn't use enough of the apps to keep it jailbroken. It also seemed like it slowed the iPhone down a little bit. While jailbroken, I mostly used BigBoss Prefs and Cycorder.

Chris

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

To expand a bit more on that. Yep, I think the UI is terrific for many reasons, not least that it is clearly built for capacitive touch screens and is perfectly optimised for finger-based input. Capacitive screens obviously have their downsides but they're clearer and much more sensitive than the alternative resistive screens and this much more than outweighs the negatives (no gloves etc) in my opinion. The use of these ultrasensitive screens and an interface that fully utilises them (large(ish) on-screen buttons, dragging, flicking, pinching gestures etc) largely defines the iPhone experience, but, even with a round-robin, eye-on-the-competition kind of hat on there are other areas in which the iPhone excels of course. Here are a couple off the top of my head:

1) Music. iPhone sounds great (noticeably cleaner and richer than my 2nd gen Nano), is (at least for the 3G) compatible with standard headphones without an adaptor, and the iPhone iPod GUI is by turns very efficient and drop-dead gorgeous. Second favourite thing about the iPhone: it completely replaces my old iPod Nano (which I don't have to carry anymore).

2) Video. I've had PDAs and smartphones for more than 10 years and without exception they either didn't do video at all (early Palms) or completely sucked at it (Treos, PPC, WM and S60 devices). I didn't hold out much hope for video on the iPhone but it turns out to be the real surprise in the package. The recipe for success isn't especially astounding (decent size screen (and not square!), pretty good resolution, frame rate fast enough that everything looks smooth, good contrast, good colours, nice UI), but it's the first device I've owned that gets it right. I don't use the YouTube app much but I watch a bunch of content from elsewhere: EyeTV recorded TV shows (synced via iTunes), BBC TV programmes streamed via the BBC iPlayer web app (BBC iPlayer - Home - UK only I'm afraid), TV shows from iTunes Store.

3) End-to-end solutions. It's just the simple things that please me, like it takes zero button pushes/mouse clicks/key strokes to get music off of a CD onto my iPhone (put the CD in the Mac, iTunes launches, grabs track info, rips the tracks and attaches album art; put the iPhone in the dock and everything is transferred), or the (similar) simplicity of getting podcasts or music and video from iTunes store onto the device. There is no reason why any of this should be complex and it isn't.

4) Web browser. Partly it's about the UI (drag and flick to scroll, double-tap, pinch to *intelligently* zoom) but partly it's just that the browser renders pages so quickly and so well. The only other browsers I've used that are even in the same ball park are Nokia's S60 browser, which is also web-kit based, and the browsers included in a number of iPhone third-party apps, which I guess are using the core browser components of iPhone OS (good examples are the news readers like NetNewsWire and the Wikipedia apps (Quickpedia is my favourite)).

5) Email. There are certainly improvements I'd like to see to the email app (like a single inbox for all accounts) but push from my work Exchange server works well and the iPhone Mail app does a better job of rendering html emails than any other I've used (probably because the same core browser components are used for this too). This actually makes a fairly huge difference to usage as it means I can deal with much more of my email without having to resort to a desktop/laptop.

6) MobileMe integration. MobileMe was rightly hauled over the coals by the tech media for its initial problems. It wasn't just that it was down periodically but on one occasion it completely failed to transfer an appointment entered on one of my Macs to my iPhone. This is totally unacceptable and if it had done it again (I checked religiously for a while and still do occasionally) I'd have stopped using MobileMe calendar sync altogether. I'd imagine that this sort of syncing is mission-critical for most users (missing meetings just isn't an option) and Apple should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves that this ever went live in the condition it was in (to be fair, I think they are). Happily, however, it seems to be 100% reliable now and up 24/7 and as such it's pretty sweet. In an ideal world I'd never use a cable to connect my mobile device to a desktop/laptop again and syncing would happen OTA anywhere in the world - MobileMe sync gets us quite a long way down that path, and does so without having to have access to an Exchange/Blackberry server.

7) Works out of the box with OS X laptops and desktops. Palm tried and succeeded only with a poor solution; Nokia relies on a combination iSync (for PIM) and OTA/BT downloads (for apps), both of which work well, but fails on OS software/firmware update (which requires a Windows machine); Google (I think, I've not used an Android device) largely side-steps the problem by taking the desktop out of the equation (sounds good - I look forward to this becoming clearer to me during the round robin ;)); Microsoft doesn't really try (PIM is limited to Exchange AFAIK and some third-party software and all WM software/firmware requires a Windows machine; third-party sync methods - I used Missing Sync - are good but incomplete solutions). Apple, as we might expect, completely nailed it.

8) Software/firmware updates. Most of Palm, Nokia and WM phones I've owned had carrier-specific versions of the OS and associated first-party software. This sucks in itself (often there was a mess of carrier branding) but (worse) meant that updates were released incrementally and frequently not at all for my device. Apple has one current, released version of iPhone OS and updates are available to all at the same time.

9) Wifi. The instant, seamless, no-user-action-required connection to known (previously joined) Wifi networks is such an obvious thing that makes a real difference to using a device that you'd think all Wifi devices would this. Sadly they don't. Case in point, my Nokia S60 E61 was a Wifi device but I had to manually select a network every single time I wanted to use it so, of course, I almost never did. With the iPhone I use Wifi most of the time because as long as I've joined a network before it does so again without my having to do anything at all.

Ok, so that's some positive stuff (from an iPhone perspective), some stuff where I think the iPhone clearly out does at least some of the competition. Here are a few areas where I think iPhone lags:

1) Multitasking of third-party apps. Although Apple gives the included apps most all of the multi-tasking I need (music plays and mail downloads in the background etc) that's not true of third-party apps, which are not afforded the same luxury. Now it's absolutely the case that I don't need eReader to be running in the background (as long as it reopens quickly where I left off - which it does - that's fine) and the push notifications thing (promised but not yet delivered) should be a good solution for some apps (messaging and news reader apps etc), but there are other apps that would benefit from some multitasking love. Would I like to listen to my favourite stations using WunderRadio while checking email or surfing the web? Damn right I would! I said above that I'd never seen the need for jail breaking, but it occurs to me now that that's not actually true because I remember reading about a jail break app that enables full multitasking (the name escapes me) and thinking I should probably look into it. I'd be grateful if anyone could pass on their experiences (Bad Ash?) with enabling multitasking. I suspect Apple is preventing multitasking of third-party apps to prevent problems with the memory getting all used up. I'd love to know how much, in practice, this is actually a problem.

2) Bluetooth. I have no desire at all for A2DP (which, at least for headphones, seems like an exercise in increasing the number of devices to be charged, decreasing battery life, and reducing audio quality) but I can see no reason at all that Apple doesn't provide BT profiles for file transfer. I use the excellent (but sadly no-longer free) AirSharing app for file transfer and viewing. It works great for transferring files from a desktop over a local Wifi network (and it's much quicker than BT) but even on a Mac the direct file transfer via an ad hoc Wifi network is a bit of a cludge (at least a couple of taps too many) and doesn't work at all with Windows machines I think (perhaps with a third-party desktop app?).

An alternative with promise is MobileFiles, an app that allows file transfer to the iPhone via the MobileMe file storage (iDisk). This works with either Wifi or cellular data connections (so avoids the requirement for ad hoc Wifi networks) but isn't quite there yet IMO. At the moment it seems rather slow (possibly an iDisk problem?) and could really do with the ability to sync the contents of entire folders between the iDisk and local (iPhone) storage (at the moment files have to be move one at a time, which is just a pain).

[Cont. below; apparently there's a 10,000 character limit]

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
This brings me to:

3) A common documents folder. If I transfer a file with AirSharing the only app that can see it is AirSharing. If I transfer a file with MobileFiles the only app that can see it is MobileFiles. That's just madness. A common documents folder to which all apps (including the native Mail app) have read and write access would be a big improvement to the platform in my opinion. I'm guessing that at some point Apple might spring on us a whole host of improvements to do with document management and editing to move the iPhone to the next level as a business device. I don't really need copy and paste (my previous devices had it and I hardly used it) or the ability to edit documents (ditto; even the iPhone screen is too small IMO) but I'd love to see some file management improvements.

Anyway, before I started out on the above (which turns out to have been a rather long distraction) I had a point in mind. In answering your question, Casey, what's my 'Favorite thing about the iPhone 3G' I was really thinking about the round robin and comparisons with other platforms. The real truth of the matter is though an answer that might apply to almost any smartphone. My favourite thing is the convergence of basic features: phone, calendar, contacts, email, SMS, web browsing. As I've noted above I think the iPhone is better in some of these areas than at least some of the competition, and also adds *great* media functionality into the mix, but it's the basics that I use most often and they're my real favourites.

Katadare#IM

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site

The way it handles media, it's very intuitive.

E-mails/Texts and the keyboard... Cannot rotate to get a bigger keyboard while typing e-mails

Twinkle, it's a great Twitter App. It has location based tweets, ie you get to see the list of other location based tweets with say 50 miles of where you are right now. It automatically wraps urls and pics for you. Check it out!

4. Most Played Game

For me it was Spore, it's kinda fun and light. Don't need to think to hard playing it.

Since the app store came out, I found that I used the installer less and less. The ones that I did keep was the HP calculator set, which was a collection of all the famous HP calcs that you can use, and MIM (Make it mine), which allowed you to rename your Carrier name to whatever you want.

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
video podcast streaming through podcaster

lack of buttons

facebook

4. Most Played Game
enigmo

yes jailbreak use pda net for wireless tethering and categories to sort all your apps

Osnaz

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
My first post! :D:D:D

-I like how it's not a Blackberry smartphone (for businesses only), but that it's geared for the general population.. So I guess it would be the App Store, so much stuff! It's what makes it so unique, you can choose what you want on your Iphone!

Osnaz

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
-Strangely, also the App Store. Apples total control has killed off many good apps, such as... I forgot the name, it was like PDAnet. As well, most of the stuff on the store is useless junk or overpriced good stuff, or overpriced useless junk!

- I'd have to say X-Plane, I'm a flying junkie, and X-Plane is just plain awesome! It's physics are unmatched, it's graphics are up there among the best, it's under 10MB, and free updates for life (I must say, updates come very fast!) However, it's $10, very expensive, but I would say well worth it, for flying junkie and nomal people alike!

Osnaz

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
4. Most Played Game
-As stated above, X-Plane! Need I repeat myself? :)

-I haven't jailbreaked yet, I'm too afraid of messing up and geting thrashed by Apple! :) However, I do think you should do it if youre not afraid for your warranty, as there are many good apps, most importantly, PDAnet! Get back at ATT for milking you of your money, or if your up here in Canada like me, it's allowed by Rogers and Fido, so you can have internet for your PC or Mac, or whatever, anywhere in the country!!

Osnaz

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Another good one is Winterboard! Customize you Iphone! However, I think there aren't many good skins out there, and the good ones, are... well... mediocre.

Hayze

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
4. Most Played Game

1. Favorite has got to be the great user interface. It is absolutely amazing, and makes you just want to never turn the thing off.

2. The keyboard.... But isn't this always the biggest gripe about touchscreen phones? With some practice, it becomes easier to use, but it is always a problem to use.

3. I still haven't come to the point where I trust 3rd party apps, so I'll stay away from this one.

4. I've been playing iBowl a lot lately, even though it's free, it's still a pretty fun game, another great thing about it, the free games in the app store aren't bad.

5. This is an opinion thing, I would say no, not a big deal to me. It's a great phone with or without jailbreak.

JayC3

May 31, 2008
Visit site
4. Most Played Game

1. The large screen and integration with iTunes and my media files

2. The keyboard, although I got used to it, its still a bit wonky especially the auto correction.

3. Here's my list :
BeeJiveIM - The BEST IM client in the iPhone
Mail - Not the best mail client, but it gets the work done
Remote - Using the iPhone to control my iMac or Apple TV is SWEET !
Twitterific - need I say more?
Currency - Check the daily currency conversion (handy for those who are going overseas all the time)

4. TanZen, Pac Man and TicTacTouch

5. For me, I didn't have the need to jailbrake my iphone as I'm already happy with what it can do for me. It depends on your needs, if you need the apps that are not available officially (eg. PDANet for the iphone), then you should jailbrake it.

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
My thoughts

Ok this is my post here so here I Go!...

- It would have to be the UI

- The camera, we need a variable focus 5 MP camera!!!

- Net News Wire!
4. Most Played Game
- Adrenaline Pool Lite - it's free and you can play online. Love IT!

- Personally? No need anymore. It causes more problems than it can fix
when Apple pushes out updates. One should be coming soon so watch out!

hgerstung

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
(...) But no more! For the 2nd Annual Smartphone Round Robin, I have to give up "the next big thing" in Android and give a try to every device in the SPE family. Meaning iPhone 3G, AT&T Fuze, Blackberry Bold, & Treo Pro here I come!

More info here: Smartphone Experts Round Robin

I really have to say that I enjoyed the last SPRR very much, I was a Treo 680 user back then but converted to the iPhone 3G this year.

Okay, well first of all..Hello TiPb faithful!

(...)
To make it easy for you guys, here's what I'm asking for:

4. Most Played Game

Ok, lets go:
1. I also love the user interface, but being able to have all my iTunes stuff including music, videos and audio books with me without having to carry around a second device is simply fantastic. I can even use my old iPod car stereo adapter system from HarmanKardon with the iPhone.

2. Definitely the mail app. Man is that a crappy piece of mobile email client. I posted an in-depth rant about this in my blog.

3. Byline. I initially used NetNewsWire as a news reader app, but Byline with its nice user interface really kicks ***. It is only a reader and does not allow to add newssources on the iPhone which initially confused me a lot but after I checked out how to add news sources (with Google Reader) I fell in love with it. Being able to define news folders which act like channels and combine news from different RSS feeds is fantastic. And the "Subscribe with Google Reader" feature allows me to easily add a RSS feed of the webpage I am looking at. This means you are collecting news sources while you are surfing on your PC. Dead easy!

4. I hardly play any games on my iPhone, but my kids love all those music toys like Bloom, miniPiano and this Guitar app.

5. Definitely yes. I was reluctant at first but I feel that my iPhone is complete since I did it. It simply adds a number of must-haves to this gadget:
- MMS (SwirlyMMS)
- Video (Cycorder)
- Landscape SMS (biteSMS)

Additionally, you get a number of fantastic and very useful modifications to your phone:
- BossPrefs: allows you to have a configurable list of config switches on one single screen (like Bluetooth on/off, GPS on/off, 3G on/off, Airplane Mode on/off). It is much faster to use than the original "Settings" app which requires you to navigate through a number of sub menus for most of the above switches. It is also great to be able to set up the "Home" button of your iPhone to bring up BossPrefs when you double-tap it.
- IntelliScreen: This fantastic Add On allows you to place a large chunk of information on the "lock screen", i.e. the screen that appears when your phone display has been switched off and you press one of the two keys (power or home). Among other things you can tell it to show you the next upcoming calendar appointments, the received SMS messages, weather information for your home town and a list of the last received mail messages
- Categories: After a while your home screen is cluttered with tens of applications that you have installed on your phone and organizing them in a useful way is quite a task. One bad thing is that there is no fast way to go back to the first screen when you are at screen number 9 after running a rarely used (and therefor placed on the last screen) app, you have to swoosh all your way back to page number one, which was pretty uncool. Categories allows you to put the app icons into subfolders, a great way of reducing the overall number of icons (and therefore pages) on your springboard.
- QuickGold: A killer app, really. It will pop up when you press the home button while already looking at the home screen and provides a search field which allows you to search for apps, contacts, SMS messages and other things. I mainly use it to launch rarely used apps that I put into one of the Categories subfolders. No need to use Categories for starting an app, just type in the first one or two letters of the app's name and then select it from the list of hits. Fast and easy, just how we all like it :)

What Jailbreaking also offers is eye candy. You think the iPhone UI is already looking great? Man, try out one of the numerous Winterboard themes. My favourite one is "ATouchOfClass" but with a nicer background image. Cool stuff.

Did I already mention that I love my iPhone :) ... Enjoy!

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
4. Most Played Game

OKAY here is goes...

1. Love the interface and the overall look of the phone

2. Navigating between different e-mail systems (i.e. unified inbox), Anemic Calendar App (no categories, reminder snooze, integrated to-do's)

3. Smarttime/Toodledo

4. No really a game player, but I do use Sudoku

5. I did jailbreak my phone, there are some pretty good apps out there, but I am choosing to leave it stock for now. It is easy enough to jailbreak and try it out, and if you don't like it you can just go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.