Round Robin: Casey Needs iPhone Help, Tips, Tricks, and Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruswitz

Aug 21, 2006
Visit site
1. Favorite thing about the iPhone 3G
2. Least Favorite thing about the iPhone 3G
3. Most Used 3rd Party App
4. Most Played Game
5. Should I Jailbreak? And if so, for what 'killer apps'?

1. The UI, the browser and the sound quality.
2. Lack of turn by turn GPS directions. Short battery life, but it would help if I stopped using it for a minute or two.
3. Pandora, LastFM, i.TV, Simplify, NowPlaying, MightyDocs, Safari
4. Vegas Pool, AquaForest, Spore, Shanghai
5. I can only see three reasons to jailbreak - tethering, categories, and winterboard. The other stuff just doesn't seem significant now that we have app store. Frankly, I don't have a need for tethering and the others are still cosmetic, so I'm not jailbreaking. You may want to wait on jailbreaking since the 2.2 update could drop soon.

Dimietriev

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
After seeing all these 'omg jailbreak' posts, I know the value of tethering, but how do you go about not getting caught by at&t? I tether legally on my blackberry and enjoy, but for some reason fear the rath of fees and canceled accounts.

akamaru64

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
phew, I'm excited for a chance to win.
i don't know much about the phones but I'll make sure to check everyone elses responses for tips and tricks just in case I somehow win :D

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
The UI. Very slick and cool.

Battery life (solely due to the fact I am always playing with it!!!)

4. Most Played Game[/QUOTE]
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294091463&mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Darts[/URL]

[QUOTE="c4sizzle, post: 1459243, member: 112167"]5. Should I Jailbreak? And if so, for what 'killer apps'?
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. My favorite/most use app is SBSettings for toggling Wifi/Bluetooth/3G/Airplane mode.

tlds

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I need iphone help too

I do not own an iphone, my brother loves his. I have used them in the att stores. Just a little to much money. I have been reading the round robin to learn more as I'd like to get a iphone for x-mas.

mszatny

Oct 24, 2000
Visit site
UI, Stability, Web Browsing, Exchange ActiveSync

Apple preventing innovative and useful apps like Slingbox and TomTom

eWallet, MochaVNC, BrightKite

4. Most Played Game
UNO (New)

After some hesitation, I did not Jailbreak. Unless Sling or TomTom are available via Jailbreak, there is no good reason yet. I also do not have the patience to wait for jailbreak before installing OS updates.

Geoff

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I agree with MsZatNY here: UI, Stability, Web Browsing, Exchange ActiveSync

No Adobe Flash Reader

eWallet, Facebook, Shazam

4. Most Played Game
Fuzzle

I have decided to hold off for now.

Touch Me

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Re: likes & dislikes

As a long time Mac user and someone who has been wanting an iPhone since they were first announced in Jan. 2007, I can tell you most emphatically that my least favorite thing is the iPhone's lock into AT&T. You see, AT&T does not serve my area and so Apple will not sell me an iPhone. So, I have been waiting patiently for the iPhone to be released to other carriers or for AT&T to move into my area. No luck so far.

Of course, I could buy an unlocked version at an exorbitant price without warranty and try to get it to work on another network. I have seriously considered this action several times but there are as many horror stories as successes. I'm not eager to take the risk. Sure would be a nice xmas present, though!

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Best
It replaces my digital music player & my smartphone & adds a beautiful widescreen display

Worst
I feel like Veruca Salt complaining about this device, but the one thing that can't be fixed by a free software update: battery life.

App
My favorite and most used app by far is the Safari browser. Yeah, it crashes and nope, no Flash but compare it to any other handheld device for looks and ease of use and I think it will blow the other browsers to teeny tiny shreds.
[edit--you said 3rd party app--whoops--that would have to be eReader!]

Game
I like the fact that games are so fun to play on the iPhone. Pick any game, then imagine what it would be like trying to play it on any other phone; very few look as nice, and none (at least not yet) have as much variety.

Jailbreak
I think it's great that software developers are showing off their skills and filling niches not yet filled by the App Store, but I'll keep admiring from a distance. I need a phone in my pocket, not a brick.

Last edited:

Steve1976

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Reply to your questions.

I dont own an iphone, although I wish I had another great toy, but...... I've played with many for countless hours. I've possibly played with my brothers Iphone more than he has. Anyways, here's what I think

1) My favorite thing about the iphone is eye candy/ consumer friendly OS. There is not one phone that comes close to this. I am currently a windows mobile user but I am pretty jealous of how easy things are on the phone. The iphone's eye candy just makes you want to keep playing with it more and more. Even just the little transitions from one interface to another just flips me out.

2) The least favorite thing about the iphone is the lack of MMS. You can send pictures through your email provider through the iphone but I am so perplexed why they didn't include this feature in such a great phone. Even though most people use MMS messages for silly stuff, it's just nice to have. Alot of my friends constantly send me pictures all the time, or even other type of media messages. Don't get me wrong, the iphone has so many benefits that people I could live without the MMS if I was an everyday user.

3) Favorite third party app is Palringo. Palringo takes advantage with the 3G easily. Through this you can keep in touch with other users, have a group chat, send pictures to other users. You can use your Palringo account, along with AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, ICQ, and even Goggle Talk! How awesome is that. You can take picture with your phone and send it to whoever in real time. Several of my friends and co-workers all talk on there. Some of them do not have unlimited text messages, so they just meet on there. What would have been my favorite app was the tethering program that was released just for a week or so and was pulled off of Itunes. Too bad it's not on Itunes now since ATT is going to come out with a $30 a month tethering application on top of your $30 internet access. Just another way to make more $$$$. You might want to look into how to copy applications from other peoples iphones, especially if they have that program.

4) Tap Tap. Oh my GOD!! This game is awesome if you are into the genre of music beat games. It's in the same realm of Guitar Hero, Rockband, Frequency, Amplitude, and Dance Dance Revolution. Best of all, it's free! You can even download more songs for free! Also it displays how great the graphics and horse power the processor has on the iphone! I've spent more than 6 hours in one day playing that addicting game! Dang it!

5) I feel ya on the jailbreak! It would be so tempting if I had an iphone. Here's my opinion on it. First I would not jail break the phone, just because of the warranty but if it was covered by a 3rd party insurance company I would. Your phone is a huge investment, and it would be a shame if something went wrong with your iphone. On the other hand, if a 3rd party insurance company covered your iphone completely, I'd jailbreak it, and if it gets broken, oh well, get another one!

This is just my opinion on the iphone 3G!

Steve1976

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I dont own an iphone, although I wish I had another great toy, but...... I've played with many for countless hours. I've possibly played with my brothers Iphone more than he has. Anyways, here's what I think

1) My favorite thing about the iphone is eye candy/ consumer friendly OS. There is not one phone that comes close to this. I am currently a windows mobile user but I am pretty jealous of how easy things are on the phone. The iphone's eye candy just makes you want to keep playing with it more and more. Even just the little transitions from one interface to another just flips me out.

2) The least favorite thing about the iphone is the lack of MMS. You can send pictures through your email provider through the iphone but I am so perplexed why they didn't include this feature in such a great phone. Even though most people use MMS messages for silly stuff, it's just nice to have. Alot of my friends constantly send me pictures all the time, or even other type of media messages. Don't get me wrong, the iphone has so many benefits that people I could live without the MMS if I was an everyday user.

3) Favorite third party app is Palringo. Palringo takes advantage with the 3G easily. Through this you can keep in touch with other users, have a group chat, send pictures to other users. You can use your Palringo account, along with AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, ICQ, and even Goggle Talk! How awesome is that. You can take picture with your phone and send it to whoever in real time. Several of my friends and co-workers all talk on there. Some of them do not have unlimited text messages, so they just meet on there. What would have been my favorite app was the tethering program that was released just for a week or so and was pulled off of Itunes. Too bad it's not on Itunes now since ATT is going to come out with a $30 a month tethering application on top of your $30 internet access. Just another way to make more $$$$. You might want to look into how to copy applications from other peoples iphones, especially if they have that program.

4) Tap Tap. Oh my GOD!! This game is awesome if you are into the genre of music beat games. It's in the same realm of Guitar Hero, Rockband, Frequency, Amplitude, and Dance Dance Revolution. Best of all, it's free! You can even download more songs for free! Also it displays how great the graphics and horse power the processor has on the iphone! I've spent more than 6 hours in one day playing that addicting game! Dang it!

5) I feel ya on the jailbreak! It would be so tempting if I had an iphone. Here's my opinion on it. First I would not jail break the phone, just because of the warranty but if it was covered by a 3rd party insurance company I would. Your phone is a huge investment, and it would be a shame if something went wrong with your iphone. On the other hand, if a 3rd party insurance company covered your iphone completely, I'd jailbreak it, and if it gets broken, oh well, get another one!

This is just my opinion on the iphone 3G!

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Safari. Android also has a WebKit-based browser, of course, but I do not know if it by default (or by spoofing) hits the iPhone formatted versions of some popular sites.
Again, Safari. The stability is awful. It crashes, or slows down to unusuable levels, and *then* crashes, far too often. I do not keep track, but I would estimate Safari has crashed 10-20 times more than all my other applications put together. (Granted, I use Safari more than most applications, see #1).
Bylines/NetNewsWire. Following news or blog updates via RSS is much more efficient for a mobile device. If only there was an officially sanctioned way to download feeds in the background...
4. Most Played Game
None -- I like games, but have not found any of the iPhone games all that compelling.
Yes, BossPrefs, if only for the numeric battery indicator, something else Apple should have in there by default, or at least available. I also like MxTube as a simple way to keep local versions of YouTube clips for "offline" viewing, e.g. on the Subway.

Touch Me

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Re: likes & dislikes

Many users cite eye candy, music, chatting and games as what they like about the iPhone. Entertainment is fine but smartphones are so much more. My favorite thing about the iPhone is that it leads in new directions and helps support Apple, one of our leading technology innovators. The entire field of personal electronic devices is a lot more interesting now.

thelarster

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
App store, app store, app store
MMS! I don't mind sending pics via email, it's the receiving and having to go to ATT's viewmymessage that is NOT fun.
I've used quite a few, but it's probably a tie between Omnifocus (for GTD, Facebook (I'm addicted) and Google Maps/GPS.
4. Most Played Game
MotoChaser or Spore
I haven't had the guts to do it yet so I must not be missing much yet.

Dimietriev

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Many users cite eye candy, music, chatting and games as what they like about the iPhone. Entertainment is fine but smartphones are so much more. My favorite thing about the iPhone is that it leads in new directions and helps support Apple, one of our leading technology innovators. The entire field of personal electronic devices is a lot more interesting now.

I have to agree. Sure there have been touchscreens before, but think off all the phones that were changed and pushed out trying to compete with the iphone. It makes other companies to try harder, and the consumer wins.

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
1. Favourite thing: the large display. It's perfect for everything from videos to browsing. I look at other phones with keyboards and the screens are so much smaller. Size matters! Lol

2. Least favourite: no cut/paste.

3. Most used 3rd party: I use and really like Evernote a lot. I can pass notes from desktop to computer, and can access them anywhere.

4. Game: Texas HoldEm for the graphics or FieldRunners for fun.

5. Jailbreak: Hell yes! It fills in a lot of voids that people complain about: SwirlyMMS for MMS, Cycorder for video capture, Categories to sort apps onto one or two homescreen pages, Backgrounder to run multiple apps simultaneously, Snapture for a better camera, iRealSMS 2.0 for landscape texting/forwarding/contact forwarding. I would also mention Winterboard for full customization, but I believe it slows down the phone. Customization vs. Speed, you decide.

And that's it. Thanks for paricipating in the Round Robin. It is such a great idea; I'll be following it every week!

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
In my above post for Evernote I meant I can pass notes from desktop to iPhone :p.
Also for jailbreaking, SBSettings (upgraded version of Bossprefs) allows for quick access to toggles like Bluetooth, wifi, 3g, and airplane mode just by swiping the top bar anytime.

Also, Quickgold is a must have as well. Can't live without it. It allows you to quickly launch apps and contacts by searching. Just press home button, start typing, and it will show contacts and apps that correspond to what you type where you can just tap to launch or call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2