Sync iPhone with Laptop or Desktop??

Sync with Laptop or Desktop?!

• Sync with desktop: Size matters!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Sync with laptop: Mobility is king!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Synch with both: I didn't read your post!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Sync with ???: I have another option!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
When I first got my iPhone in 2007, I only had a work laptop, so I synced with that. However, the drive wasn't very big, so I was always very careful about what I kept on it.

Now I've got a home desktop and personal laptop, and I'm rethinking my syncing!

Desktop is attached to a Drobo, so storage will never be an issue (I hope!), and already stores all my iTunes and Apple TV content, some of which is compatible with the iPhone (higher res stuff, not).

Laptop has 128GB and is portable, so pretty much anywhere I am, I can sync (though I mainly sync just to get new podcasts, which hopefully will be available over-the-air via iPhone OS 2.2 shortly), or to take off photos and backup (where's my push photo sync, MobileMe!!)

I can't decide which machine to sync! Massive capacity and single source vs. high portability has got me flummoxed.

(Note: I've done the hack to give both iTunes libraries the same ID, but it only works on "manual mode" which really defeats the purpose for me, so I can't use both as an option -- I need to decide!)

What do you do? What would you do? Help!

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I sync with my desktop, as my laptop is work issued and there simply isn't enough hard drive space for me (based on the fact I am constantly adding new music). I have though of using my external hard drive as the main source of my library so that I can use it on both, but haven't had the time to really explore that option.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone and iPod Classic both sync to my work laptop for podcasts, Audiobooks, APPs and Jailbreaking. But I also sync my Classic to a Desktop that has all my Music which is pretty static.