Storing sensitive data on iPhone

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
I bought LockBox Pro a while back, and put all my credit cards, passport, driver's license, etc. info into it in case I lost my wallet or something. I had a program like this on my Treo, and my BlackBerry before this, and I wanted one for the iPhone. Problem is, every time I do something to my phone (read: restore, or now, jailbreak) this data gets erased and needs to be re-entered.

Can anyone recommend an app that exists both on the iPhone and desktop that syncs back and forth so I don't have to go through this each time?

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
mSecure. App store. Supposedly links with iTunes for restoring. I just love answering my own questions. ;)

Oh well, what's another $1.99?

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Most definitely. I can tell you already that it's much easier to enter data and more intuitive that LockBox was. As far as the recovery of that data, you guys may have to wait until I do another restore. I have things working well now (clean restore + jailbreak) and I'm not so inclined to do that again... for at least a few days... :)

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Well, it's only for Windows right now, and it's 10 bucks for the app (iPhone) plus 10 more (I think) for the desktop app. Mac version is coming, but that's still a lot to pay for just that one thing.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Well, SplashID definitely looks more full-featured than mSecure, but again, it's 10 bucks, and another 20 for the desktop software. I'm gonna see how the 2 dollar investment goes first. :)

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Ha! If I find the time, maybe I will write a little review up. In the meantime, I contacted support to ask about the back up and restore process, and got this reply soon after:

Thank you for your purchase and I am glad to hear you like it.

iTunes does a full backup of all application data at the end of each sync. If something were to happen to your device, when you connect the fresh device iTunes will prompt you to restore from a previous device or if you want to set it up as a new device. You would want to choose the previous device and then it would be restored to exactly the same state as it was at the last sync. This isn't anything special to mSecure so I am surprised that this didn't work for another app. I can tell you that we've tested it a number of times and it worked flawlessly.

Also, fyi, we are working on a desktop companion to mSecure that will be another source of backup. We're hoping to get it out by the end of the year.

So I wrote a quick response back to that end, saying that I would much prefer an associated desktop app that syncs back to the app as opposed to restoring a (possibly damaged) backup in the event that I went down that path. So hopefully, they'll release a decent companion app soon (and not charge an arm and a leg for it!).

Like I said, if I find myself with a little free time, I will try to compare LockBox and mSecure, as I've used them both.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh