Iphone display goes off when speaking

amit85

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi all. I have a peculiar problem. When i am attending a phone call and the phone is next to my ear, the display is visible, but when i take it away from ear to press key for switching to speakerphone mode or to mute or to hold the call the display goes off. The moment i take it away from ear display goes off and i am not able to use any feature like speakphone, hold, mute.
what shall i do so that display doesn't goes off?

amit85

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
That is so odd it sounds like a joke almost... Never heard of that happening before.
To be precise when i keep a finger on the receiver the display goes off and when i uncover the reciever display comes back in 3-4 seconds. can you suggest why that happens and how that can be stopped?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
When you hold it to your face it turns off automatically
When you are on speaker and not using the phone it will eventually turn off

All you have to do is touch the screen or press the home button to make it turn on again

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
To be precise when i keep a finger on the receiver the display goes off and when i uncover the reciever display comes back in 3-4 seconds. can you suggest why that happens and how that can be stopped?

Does this happen even after you have restarted your phone?

mudonthetires

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Same trouble!! It was the skin!

I had the same trouble. As soon as I put my phone to my ear the display went off but when I took it away from my ear the display would STAY OFF. When I removed the silicone (or rubber) skin I had protecting it, the problem was corrected. When the skin was on the phone, the phone thought there is an ear to it so it shut off the display. As soon as I removed the skin it behaved properly. :)

TeknologeeFreak

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I dont believe a "gel case" would be the issue here, unless it protects the area where the proximity sensor is located. I had an issue that relates to this a few months ago. The proximity sensor is directly to the left of the headset above the screen. At the time I had the problem, I was using a mirror screen protector, the thickness and possibly the mirror finish on the screen protector was causing the proximity sensor to function 50/50. If you are using an Otterbox Defender series WITH a screen protector, that could also cause issues. I would purchase a new screen protector and see if that helps the problem. If all else fails, restore...Hope this helps.

*can you post a picture of the current hardware protection you have???

senseful

Jan 10, 2010
sensefulsolutions.blogspot.com

If by "receiver" you mean the speaker you place next to your ear to hear the other person, then that is normal. Since the proximity sensor is located right next to it on the left side. If you cover that with anything while on a call, the display will turn off. That is a feature of the iPhone so that when you hold it up against your ear, the screen automatically turns off and the screen doesn't waste your battery. If it's not turning off when you hold it next to your head, make sure that your head is near this proximity sensor.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2