Wouldn't it be cool if...

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Now this is something I was thinking about today as my phone sat in its pretty little dock on my desk. Everyone's been talking about what they want to see in 2.2 lately, and it's coming, so we're all excited. But you know what would be really awesome?

I'd LOVE to see a kind of desktop application for my Mac that allows me to use iPhone features (SMS for instance) directly through the phone while it's docked. I don't like pulling it out to respond to a text, and that's just one thing I can think of. You can play your music from there through iTunes while it's docked, why not something like this?

Plus, you can probably think of other useful ways to build on this, but it just seems like the kind of thing Apple could do that would just be so awesome and useful. Even if it were not a separate application, but something built directly into iTunes that was accessible only when your phone was connected. I know iTunes is already a bloated pig, but I'd love that kind of functionality.

Is this crazy? Oh, and a pre-emptive apology if this has been brought up before. ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've thought about that before, it would be cool. It is annoying when you are on the computer and you get a bunch of texts and have to reply via the phone. Petty I'm sure but it would be cool.

Reactions: Rene Ritchie

Yeraze

Oct 15, 2008
www.yeraze.com
While that is a kewl idea, it's probably too close to Tethering for Apple to implement it.

Personally, i'ld like to see better use made of the GeoLocation features & BlueTooth, eg enabling Macbook apps to query your iPhone for your location and update accordingly (like the new Geode extension).

afazel

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Well there's nothing official from Apple like this right now, but if your phone has been jailbroken you can install Veency. It's a VNC server for your iPhone and will let you do anything from your PC that you can do from your phone. It actually works really well too :D

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I love that idea! I just need to get an Imac or the new macbook pro.....money is not available for it right now which sucks. I will take donations thank you very much!:D

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
I was thinking, it would also be awesome if while my phone is docked, I could dial numbers on screen with my bluetooth earpiece in and make calls from the phone. I ran into this problem several times today. I had to pick the phone up in the dock, dial the number and place it back down.

I realize this makes me sound criminally lazy, but I think you get the idea. It's about streamlining the experience no matter what the capacity...

Reactions: Rene Ritchie

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Tron Avatar +5 Geek Cred!!

SMS should just get parsed and shot through to iChat or whatever IM client you like.

I hate all these fragmented, archaic, sandboxed protocols!

FREEDOM!

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Thanks Rene! I always appreciate whenever anyone notices... and I like the idea about sending SMS through to an existing app. Of course, it would probably only be iChat, if Apple's going to do it...

Does anyone know if the SDK allows for devs to access desktop apps through the dock connector? (I would imagine not, as in Apple's perfect, shiny world would be thrown into turmoil by mere suggestion of said process.) ;)

It would add a layer of interactivity to the phone that no one's been able to do yet. And would preclude the need to buy a separate item (a la Palm Foleo, or the thing Reaktor5 mentioned).

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Well, apparently, you can do some of what I want if you jailbreak your phone, with Veency. But I really don't want to do that... I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I rely on my phone for business and can't go messing around with stuff like that... or can I? ;)

But it's another hoop to jump through. I want it to be easy! And I want it now! (read in Veruca Salt voice)

afazel

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Well there's nothing official from Apple like this right now, but if your phone has been jailbroken you can install Veency. It's a VNC server for your iPhone and will let you do anything from your PC that you can do from your phone. It actually works really well too :D

*cough* ya, I said that :p

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
I downloaded QuickPwn and the IPSW, but I'm sooo hesitant to pull the trigger... I'm too nervous to JB the phone. My iPod Touch is no big deal, because if that goes down, life goes on... :confused:

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
I feel so warm and tingly inside. Mike and Dieter talked about this thread on the latest podcast. Fun surprise on the way to work... :)

And veency, while slow, is pretty cool. Not perfect, not a seamless integration, but I gotta say, until someone does it better, it solved my problem. Viva la jailbreak!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost