Purchasing iPhone tomorrow...advise

newtotipb

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi, New to the site and first post. Some great info here!

After some iPhone research, I've decided to purchase and will probably do so tomorrow. I'm currently an ATT customer.

Just wondering if anyone has any advise or concerns. If you were to do it over again, would you buy? Any reason I should wait a month or 2? It seems like there is something always coming so if its not earth shattering I might as well buy now.

My only hesitation is other offerings like blkberry and Android (which I haven't researched much.) iPhone seems to be the best thing out right now.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks so much,
E

PS. Oh, and deciding between 8 & 16GB. Can anyone give me a feel for space on the iPhone. (I don't own too much music-mainly apps, pre-installed, photos)

Last edited:

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
I believe even if you buy at eBay you still have to sign up for a new 2-year plan. And its costs nearly $600 at eBay. So, buying directly from Apple or AT&T will be cheaper and safer. I don't see any reason to wait for a better phone. The next phone that's better than the iphone 3G will be iphone 4G, which may not come out untill 2 years later. Are you currently in a contract? If so, how long have you been in the contract?

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Also New here

I purchased my iPhone about 2 weeks ago and the love it. I dropped my Blackberry for it and couldn't be happier. Two question you should ask yourself is 1. What do you plan on using the phone for. I use mine for work and it was a pain to get the email to sych over but once that was done I was smooth from there on out. If it's for work, check you IT department to see if they support the iPhone and 2. If the extra $100 bucks won't hurt your pocket book shoot for the 16 gig. You never know when the extra space will be needed for all the cool apps at the apps store. I was to quick in a hurry and bought the 8gig becuase the store I went to was out of the 16gig.

newtotipb

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far.

I won't use mine for business, they make me use an older blackberry for that and I can't download anything with it except what the company allows. (not much)

I've already been with ATT for 3 yrs so okay there. iPhone will be for personal use.

I do have a question about the 8g vs 16g. I was all set to purchase the 8g. Can't imagine I'd fill it up. I don't think I own more than 100 songs. Apps seem pretty small. What fills up your iPhone to "stretch" 8g? I'm sure movies can be large but those would be temporary. Help me out and missing something b4 I purchase. Thx.

E

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far.

I won't use mine for business, they make me use an older blackberry for that and I can't download anything with it except what the company allows. (not much)

I've already been with ATT for 3 yrs so okay there. iPhone will be for personal use.

I do have a question about the 8g vs 16g. I was all set to purchase the 8g. Can't imagine I'd fill it up. I don't think I own more than 100 songs. Apps seem pretty small. What fills up your iPhone to "stretch" 8g? I'm sure movies can be large but those would be temporary. Help me out and missing something b4 I purchase. Thx.

E

Well, certain apps are bigger than others, but they still do not take up that much space. It is basically movies, videos, pictures and music that takes up the most space. I have the 16gb 3G and I prefer it over the 8gb, just for the extra satisfaction of having the room to add more. I have a little more than half my space left, but like I said, I like knowing that there is a lot more i can do. If you do not plan on having a decent amount of music, videos or any other multimedia on your phone, than get the 8GB, but be warned, it can be filled up fast once you see all the things it can do. :D

Last edited:

TSX

Oct 8, 2008
Visit site
Buy your iphone at Best Buy, they offer insurance on the iphone. Thats the only reason i bought mine from there. If you break it the replace it for free. ATT and Apple dont offer insurance

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Buy your iphone at Best Buy, they offer insurance on the iphone. Thats the only reason i bought mine from there. If you break it the replace it for free. ATT and Apple dont offer insurance

Of course you are paying a monthly fee I'm sure. And if not they will not replace it it you do damage to it. Such as a drop or any other kind of physical damage.

TSX

Oct 8, 2008
Visit site
Of course you are paying a monthly fee I'm sure. And if not they will not replace it it you do damage to it. Such as a drop or any other kind of physical damage.

Yea you pay a monthly fee, but it covers any type of damage exept water. so if you drop it, step on it, or run over it it will be covered.

newtotipb

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Geesh, they fee the "heck" out of us on this thing, don't they. Can't we just buy a flat $30-$50 insurance on it like we did on all the other phones?

I just called BB and it is $15 / mo. No, thanks, I think I'll just be very careful.

Last edited:

newtotipb

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Bit the bullet...new iPhone owner!

Thanks for all of the replies! I purchased the 16gb phone today. I've had just enough time to make some calls and not much else.

I've not been able to connect to the internet yet. Not sure but I must be doing something wrong. I would have thought that possible at least with 3G (its on).

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Congrats on getting your iPhone! 3G should work out of the box, but the carrier can make mistakes on the setup. Drop by or give them a call, you have a right to "just the internet" on your iPhone...

newtotipb

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
All is working now...

For some reason I had to restart the phone. Now all is working great. I'm impressed with 3g so far. As I read everywhere, I can tell battery life will be a challenge.

Now just finding useful apps and accessories.

E

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
For some reason I had to restart the phone. Now all is working great. I'm impressed with 3g so far. As I read everywhere, I can tell battery life will be a challenge.

Now just finding useful apps and accessories.

E

It's a computer. It's going to need to be rebooted every so often.

Also, I use mine all the time (checking email, using the iPod watching movies and videos, etc) and the battery is an issue. However, so was my LG and so is my old iPod. It's not miracle technology but it works very well. JustMobile makes a cool battery backup and get yourself a car adapter.

Welcome to Just Mobile

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
How far do you get through the day using e-mail activesynch? This seems to be one of the biggest battery burners.
Also for those concerned about insurance- I always buy major devices with my American Express card. The double warranty has paid off several times including replacing a Palm TX and repairing an out of warranty camera.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods