Macworld Wish: iPhone HD!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
If the cost of a 32 GB chip is borderline too expensive I'd much rather Apple went with that than a more expensive, higher-res display. I also don't want anything that either slows the device or badly impacts battery life. Perhaps OLED can save the day?

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
MacWorld in Jan 2009? Might be too early for a new iphone. By then the iphone 3G will have been in the market for only 6 months. Technologically they can make one now, but it wouldn't make economic sense to introduce it at MacWorld. I am hoping the HD will come out next July. :) Does it mean they have to increase the screen size? The Storm's screen looks bigger.

MPKU

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
MacWorld in Jan 2009? Might be too early for a new iphone. By then the iphone 3G will have been in the market for only 6 months. Technologically they can make one now, but it wouldn't make economic sense to introduce it at MacWorld. I am hoping the HD will come out next July. :) Does it mean they have to increase the screen size? The Storm's screen looks bigger.

Just like the 3G and the iPhone before it, the next phone will probably be announced at MacWorld in January and be available in the summer.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Just like the 3G and the iPhone before it, the next phone will probably be announced at MacWorld in January and be available in the summer.

I think January may be a bit of a stretch. But you never know. It seems like iPhone 3G just came out! :eek:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think January may be a bit of a stretch. But you never know. It seems like iPhone 3G just came out! :eek:

Yeah, I don't see an announcement of the 3rd generation iPhone (not to be confused with iPhone 3g) at macworld. I do think there is a higher probablity of a firmware 2.3 at macworld, with a mid to late January release. I do think there is a chance of a 32GB iPhone 3g being release early next year with price drops for the 16GB and bye bye 8GB.

MPKU

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Ash and Dizzy, why is it a stretch?

The iPhone was introduced at MacWorld January 2007, went on sale June 2007. People though there was no way a new version would come soon...but...

The iPhone 3G was introduced at MacWorld January 2008, went on sale July 2008. People think there is no way a new version could be coming soon....

Apple updates iPod's every year, why is it a stretch that they do the same to the iPhone?

And think about the changes that happened from iPhone and iPhone 3G. They added 3G, changed the form factor, changed the memory, added the APP store, improved the screen quality and so on. Why would it be to soon for changes like memory and HD screen?

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The iPhone 3G was introduced at MacWorld January 2008, went on sale July 2008.
Was it? I thought it was still in the rumor bin from something and att dude said in 2007?

People think there is no way a new version could be coming soon....

Apple updates iPod's every year, why is it a stretch that they do the same to the iPhone?

And think about the changes that happened from iPhone and iPhone 3G. They added 3G, changed the form factor, changed the memory, added the APP store, improved the screen quality and so on. Why would it be to soon for changes like memory and HD screen?

I'm not saying they won't release one, but they will not release a whole new 3rd generation (not 3g) iPhone at Macworld. I now understand you are saying they will announce it, but I was thinking release it. There is a small chance they might say something about a new 3rd gen iPhone, but I doubt it. I do feel however that we might get a 32 GB version sometime in Jan or Feb and then a 3rd gen in June - July

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I think 32GB is more likely than a new screen. Also the recently announced 802.11n chip for mobile devices is a possibility. 2.3 and turn-by-turn navigation? Yes please.

And of course, if they do bump the capacity, I'll pay the cash to upgrade :)

WPeterson

Banned
Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
iphone hd seems interesting. so the handset has to come with 480p screen for least req, right? more than that, the processor, CPU, GPU, etc... good enough.

but for HDTV, how can i get it received via iphone?

PeerB

Jan 6, 2009
Visit site
HD is such a relative term. The pixel density of the iPhone's current screen is already quite high. There is a sharp diminishing return on how good a picture can get by shoving more pixels into a set amount of space. That said, if they reach 480p, I certainly hope I can get my broadcast TV on. Bunny ears for the iphone? Sign me up.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ash and Dizzy, why is it a stretch?

The iPhone was introduced at MacWorld January 2007, went on sale June 2007. People though there was no way a new version would come soon...but...

The iPhone 3G was introduced at MacWorld January 2008, went on sale July 2008. People think there is no way a new version could be coming soon....

Wrong, iPhone 3G was announced at WWDC 08. It was released a few weeks later.