Why no tethering and VOIP over 3G?

Should Apple Allow Tethering apps or VOIP over 3G apps?

• No, for the whole world

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No for US if AT&T refuses.

• What is tethering/VOIP?

• Total voters

Mugunth

Sep 30, 2008
mugunthkumar.com
Well agreed that AT&T does not like people using their 3G network. But why should Apple penalize people living outside US? iPhone is available in Europe, Asia and Australia where 3G is quite dominant. I'm using my 3G iPhone in Singapore's SingTel network and they offer me 50GB of free data @ 1Mbps for a paltry 22.42 S$ (15 USD).

Checkout Singtel website as I'm not able to post links... :mad:

50 GB is useless unless I'm able to tether it to my PC. Moreover, a 512 Kbps broadband is free for access throughout the island (important shopping malls, MRT stations and so on) except for some remote areas.

Apple could allow apps like NetShare in stores outside US if AT&T does not like. Why should I be penalized when AT&T does not like tethering/VOIP?

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
There already is a VOIP client up called 'Truphone'. But I won't be satisfied until Skype comes out with an app. :)

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I don't see why Apple has to restrict these apps. Windows mobile comes with multiple ways to tether built in. AT&T even has online tutorials to teach you how to do it.
Many phones do this out of the box for that matter.

Why is the iPHone suddenly different?

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Well I doubt AT&T will allow that to happen over the cell network. I'd just wait for someone else to develop a better client.

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
AT&T's network simply can't handle that much data even only a fraction of iPhone users decide to do tethering. People who have iPhones are generally using data intensive apps. If 3g tethering is allowed I will completely ditch DSL and hook up my laptop with iPhone all the time.

Voltaic Shock

Sep 16, 2008
Visit site
Why could they handle it on the slower network but not the new 3G? Is it because they don't have enough towers in place and the proper infrastructure?

Unchewable

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
why iphone is different

i think At&t is just afraid of the load the massive amount of iphone users would put on the network. When iphone first came out it hit the data side of the network pretty hard. when the 3g came out there seemed to be less publicized issues with data throughput and now that they got things squared away they dont want a 3rd big hit to the network.

Mugunth

Sep 30, 2008
mugunthkumar.com
AT&T's network simply can't handle that much data even only a fraction of iPhone users decide to do tethering. People who have iPhones are generally using data intensive apps. If 3g tethering is allowed I will completely ditch DSL and hook up my laptop with iPhone all the time.

If AT&T is afraid why not sell tethering or VOIP app in AppStores in other countries?
For example for some strange reasons Google App is not available in Singapore Store... Apple has the architecture to sell/ban apps in chosen countries...

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
They already have tethering plans for other phones so I don't think it's due to their network. They just haven't found a way to charge iPhone users for it yet.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
They haven't found a way to charge the other smart phone users for it yet. It can still be done on the wrong plan with any phone.
It's just the sheer number of iPhone users that they're worried about, I think.

I don't know why Apple doesn't just allow the apps and let AT&T do the enforcement.

Or fine, make an app, but require it to use the isp.cingular APN which isn't included int he iPhone plan. Make people buy the data connect plan which has isp.cingular. Lock down the app so you can't change it on AT&T.

Well I jailbroke my iPhone 3G mainly to get iPhonePodcaster , an app Apple rejected and caused controversy. It just released on the jailbroken app store (Cydia.) It really is unbelievably easy and essentially idiot proof now. I have PDANet and it works great for tethering.

So they're simply forcing people to do things on the black market without collecting their fees.

If AT&T was smart, they'd offer an iPhone tether plan for $45 or something reasonable (no $60.) They'd get a LOT of people to take it if they could enforce it. At $60, people will just find a way to get around the ridiculous cost. Ridiculous since it's now limited to 5GB.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2