Newbie Here

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Newbie Here [Outlook Web Access Questions]

Ok I currently use a Curve on the VZW network but of course after "playing around" with my an Iphone, I must admit it is a great phone and thinking about getting one. I have done my homework and noticed that the IPhone and Curve offer the pretty much same applications for my uses. I tried to ask this question on a blackberry site and was told to suck and egg and IPhone sucks, so hopefully I can get some better answers.

Here is my question, I am a mortgage broker that deals with roughly 6 different email accounts; that are all web based email, and I don't use outlook. So with that in mind would I be able to hold that many email accounts on an Iphone and would I need the mobile me application since the emails are web based anyway. I hope I am asking this correctly and I look forward to hear from the members. If I can make this happen I plan on getting the iphone today :D

Last edited by a moderator:

E-Bot

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
well, since i am basically a traditional "user" and not business minded the only thing i can tell you from my experience is that safari at the very least will be able to handle your email needs. Home icons work wonders in cutting down time. But as far as syncing multiple email accounts and such. I have no real experience. I personally love the iphone, but im merely one person, with real expectations. THe best thing to do is keep researching on the iphone vs blackberry and see what suites your needs the best. Good Luck, im sure more knowledgable people will try and help you.

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Thank for your reply, to update I actually went out and purchased the phone today through best buy. I used some reward points and was able to get the 8gb for $75.00 plus I can return it 30 days if need be. It is really cool and look forward to "playing" with it. As long as it will be able to handle my email accounts, I so should be good to go. :)

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm late and after the fact here, but I have 8 e-mail addresses (also all web-based) that I have synced on the e-mail app...so yes, the iPhone will meet your e-mail needs even without mobile me. As far as web-based e-mail goes, the iPhone offers push yahoo! mail, Fetch (or pull) Gmail...and Fetch/pull Hotmail ONLY IF you use a third party app. like Izymail (which is quite simple to set up, the only catch is you have to pay something like $17 a year -- which really is pretty cheap)

nighthawk

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
how do i post a new post and say hi to every one i tryed new forman new post
what do i do. me or send me somthing here with a link.
thankyou

E-Bot

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Tunnel, i think pretty much you can get a hotmail gold account or whatever it is, for about the same amount without the middle man. I know that you have to pay for the upgrade in order to use pop through hotmail. I've tried a few times now with no luck and the same message. Some might tell you that having an older account allows at the very least forwarding and such. But my email account is at the very least 10 years old and has no such feature. But regardless. Email i find is very simple through safari as a last resort. But since im not a business user i guess in reality the ease of use is to be expected, since alot of my email use deals with clicking on the check and pressing the spam tab. By the way, Paul Newman died, one of the best actors ever. One of my personal favs. Not to mention how ****in tasty his salad dressings are. **** Vin Diesel.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
E-Bot,

I can't comment on the Hotmail gold or other paid services; my main e-mail address has always been the basic, free-level hotmail account. Since 1998, it's been and still is Tunnelrunner@hotmail.com

So, I've been using Izymail--which fetches/pulls my hotmail every 15 minutes and puts it on my iphone--and it works fine--and again, my account is 10 (going on 11) years old. If you, or anyone else is interested, go to IzyMail - WebMail in your Inbox Folks, it's so EASY that even someone as tech-retarded as myself (not joking here) was able to set up 2 hotmail accounts for my iPhone. Also, if you go to YouTube and keyword "izymail," "hotmail," and "iPhone," you'll get numerous, easy to follow tutorials.

Again, the only catch is you have to pay a yearly renewal fee. I pay $36 a year for POP access to 2 very old hotmail accounts on my iPhone - pretty good deal, IMO.

If anyone needs help or has questions, e-mail me.

And yes, Paul Newman will be missed,
Brent

Last edited:

Voltaic Shock

Sep 16, 2008
Visit site
I really miss my push mail from my BB?

Can the izymail do aliases so I can send it from any account I want. That was my issue with getting all my mail in GMail it would say sent on the behalf of - :\

I generaly just put one e-mail account on my phone since most of my e-mails go there. I know you can put more though.

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
I really miss my push mail from my BB?

Can the izymail do aliases so I can send it from any account I want. That was my issue with getting all my mail in GMail it would say sent on the behalf of - :\

I generaly just put one e-mail account on my phone since most of my e-mails go there. I know you can put more though.

I also miss my Blackberry email, but I am not ready to give up trying to get this to work on the IPhone, I can't believe on such an advanced phone you can access web based email with a phone that has a wonderful web application.

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
I'm late and after the fact here, but I have 8 e-mail addresses (also all web-based) that I have synced on the e-mail app...so yes, the iPhone will meet your e-mail needs even without mobile me. As far as web-based e-mail goes, the iPhone offers push yahoo! mail, Fetch (or pull) Gmail...and Fetch/pull Hotmail ONLY IF you use a third party app. like Izymail (which is quite simple to set up, the only catch is you have to pay something like $17 a year -- which really is pretty cheap)

Tunnelrunner,
Thanks for your input, is this Izymail the only software avaible that will help me get my web-based email to my new IPhone? Thanks for your support, and until then I will have to keep my Blackberry to access my email.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
to Voltaic Shock:

Sorry, I'm not sure about Izymail and Gmail aliases; I only use it for Hotmail.

To RPalumbo:

When you say "web-based e-mail," I'm thinking of the big 3: yahoo!, Gmail, and Hotmail. The iPhone already has the ability to retrieve your yahoo! (push) and Gmail (pull/fetch) via it's native e-mail app -- you don't need any 3rd party software. However, for Hotmail, you DO need Izymail.

Hope that clarifies it a bit. :)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
@rpalumbo:

The more info you can provide the easier it is to help. Otherwise it's shotgun in the dark :)

Are we to understand that you have 6 MS Exchange accounts you want to access through Exchange Web Access? (logging in through a browser?)

If so, just launch the iPhone web browser, type in your /exchange URL, and log in the same way you would with Safari or Firefox on the desktop. It's not as fully featured as doing it over IE (because IE uses proprietary MS controls), but you can do all the basic things.

If you have multiple accounts with different username/passwords and don't want to keep logging in/out all the time, look into something like 1Password, which after unlocking your passwords, may let you just jump in and out of different browser-based usernames (haven't tried this yet myself, but could be workable).

Depending on your Exchange server settings, you might also have ActiveSync or IMAP connections available. Check with your Exchange administrator. Setting either of those up on the iPhone is fairly straight forward if all your server-side settings are in order.

Same for your POP email. Add the account to your iPhone Mail app, and you should be good to go.

Again, the more info you provide, the easier it is to help. Like the old joke goes, most errors occur somewhere between the chair and the keyboard :)

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
@rpalumbo:

The more info you can provide the easier it is to help. Otherwise it's shotgun in the dark :)

Are we to understand that you have 6 MS Exchange accounts you want to access through Exchange Web Access? (logging in through a browser?)

If so, just launch the iPhone web browser, type in your /exchange URL, and log in the same way you would with Safari or Firefox on the desktop. It's not as fully featured as doing it over IE (because IE uses proprietary MS controls), but you can do all the basic things.

If you have multiple accounts with different username/passwords and don't want to keep logging in/out all the time, look into something like 1Password, which after unlocking your passwords, may let you just jump in and out of different browser-based usernames (haven't tried this yet myself, but could be workable).

Depending on your Exchange server settings, you might also have ActiveSync or IMAP connections available. Check with your Exchange administrator. Setting either of those up on the iPhone is fairly straight forward if all your server-side settings are in order.

Same for your POP email. Add the account to your iPhone Mail app, and you should be good to go.

Again, the more info you provide, the easier it is to help. Like the old joke goes, most errors occur somewhere between the chair and the keyboard :)

I guess my wording isn't completely clear. Web-based-email is actually Microsoft Outlook Web based. My company uses MS exchange and can access my email anywhere I have an internet connection. The link I access is:

htp:/ /webmail. XXXX.net /exchange/ (XXXX for security, & missing a "t" in htp b/c I need 10 post thanks)

That is my work email that I am having a problem with and my other POP3 email is:

htp: //mail. XXXX. com/ and I can not get the IPhone to recognize this email account as well.

I hope this help Rene, I look forward to hear from you

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Quoting RPalumbo's PM for response below:

Okay, first I think part of the problem is terminology. I may be misunderstanding you, or you may be confusing terminology and how things work, the latter of which would certainly cause you problems. The first step to fixing this is getting us on the same page.

Outlook Web Access is just a webmail (web page) interface to your Exchange. You can log onto it via the iPhone's Safari browser by typing in the URL like any website (e.g. you can type in Google or https://exchange.yourcompany/exchange/owa (or whatever the URL is) and go right to the web interface). This is the same as doing it on your PC browser "anywhere you have an internet connection", you're just using the iPhone Safari browser instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox or whatever.

Does that make sense?

If you want email client access, you'll have to talk to your Admin about ActiveSync or IMAP.

Next, your POP3 email won't *ever* have http:/*anything* in it. That's another webmail interface and has nothing to do with POP3. POP3 is access via an Email client like Outlook, Thunderbird, or Mail on the iPhone. You set up your POP3 server on your iPhone (and your SMTP server for outgoing mail) and it pulls messages from the server.

If you're using http://, again, that's just a webmail/web site/web page interface directly to your server, and you can use it the same on the iPhone with the mobile Safari browser.

Basically, pretend your iPhone is your PC, launch the browser, and do what you do on the PC, and let us know if that works for you.

rpalumbo said:
Hello Rene,
I have been trying to repost in Iphone Help 'Newbie Here" here is my answer and maybe you can help. Thanks

I guess my wording isn't completely clear. Web-based-email is actually Microsoft Outlook Web based. My company uses MS exchange and can access my email anywhere I have an internet connection. The link I access is:

htp:/ /webmail. XXXX.net /exchange/ (XXXX for security, & missing a "t" in htp b/c I need 10 post thanks)

That is my work email that I am having a problem with and my other POP3 email is:

htp: //mail. XXXX. com/ and I can not get the IPhone to recognize this email account as well.

I hope this help Rene, I look forward to hear from you

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
OK first thing first I was able to setup up all my pop3 accounts today, it took awhile, more than I wanted to but it works good so far.

Ok I talked to our IT guy to be able to get my email pushed as well and here is the issue, our POP3 no longer is active and the IMAP is not up and running, but we do run on an exchange server and this is what he gave me:

"You'll want to use Outlook Web Access (OWA) as the email type."

the Server name is : [url=http://webmail.xxxx.net/exchange

Ok I tried to enter this with the Microsoft Exchange Option under the add account feature. Is this wrong? I rather not have to log into safari every time to view it. Is there way to get it on my phone as a separate account. I look forward to hear from anyone that can help. Once this is setup I can ditch the Blackberry and finally use the IPhone. Thanks

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
rpalumbo:

Your IT guy is giving you WEB access, hence you need to use a WEB browser to access it. :)

For a mail client, you need a MAIL server. For Exchange, that's either ActiveSync or IMAP. If they have IMAP running, you can set it up pretty much the same way you set up POP3.

If they have ActiveSync running, that's when you use the Microsoft Exchange option under Add Account.

Here's a walkthrough for ActiveSync. The comments have *tons* of great info on connecting to Exchange (which can be a nasty beast).

Walkthrough: Exchange ActiveSync On Your iPhone 2.0 | The iPhone Blog

If you just want to test it, you might try entering webmail.xxxx.net as the server and see if ActiveSync responds.

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
wow, this information helps a ton! A little more complicated than using a blackberry but so well worth it. I am going to try and see if it works. The good thing is that our IT guy is willing to help if I still have issues!

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
***UPDATE***
Ok I find this strange, It seemed that I was able to get my work set up but when I tried "cannot get mail, connection to server failed"
So I tried to access the email through the web browser and after trying ten times, I could not get in that way as well! Any ideas? With every little bit of knowledge I get closer and closer!!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73