Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

1,287 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts

Default iPhone 2.2 beta 1 firmware is out to devs

Apple Seeds iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 1 - Mac Rumors

Here's hoping for push!!! I know there are a lot of features people want to see, but if I had to pick one for the 2.2 release it would be PUSH!

I setup a poll for the 2.2 release date on my blog so if you have 33 seconds pop over and take your best guess

when will iPhone 2.2 firmware be released? | When Will Apple?
    iPhone Intermediate

308 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

I want push too!!!! However it will only be for apps such as AIM and so forth not email.
    iMore Actual

1,887 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,452 Global Posts

Notification Services don't "push" AIM (or any App). What they do is, when an App is closed, NS sends alert status updates to a service on the iPhone which will: update a badge on an App icon (the little number you see on Mail, SMS, App Store, etc. that tell you there are new messages), make a sound, or pop up a dialog box.

Push email has to come from the service provider, Apple (unless Apple is the service provider, like for MobileMe). If Google opens up Push Gmail for the iPhone, the built in Mail apps would automatically handle it the way it does any other push email (unless Google does anything... strange with it)