"No Service" in full 3G area

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
I had two incidents today where my phone showed "No Service". After see that, I soft reset the phone and the phone locked in on 4 bar 3G. Different locations.

Also, aside from these two incidents, my phone has had many occassions in the past couple of weeks where they show strong 3G signals but the browser was extremely slow until the phone eventually switched to Edge (usually after about 30-45 seconds).

Richard

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I've had a few problems with 3G not showing when it should. I've found that turning aircraft mode on and off resolves this. It's an annoying problem and although I've had worse, I hope a fix comes soon.

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
This happens to me all the time when I am near train or subway stations. Definitely some interference by the railroad. Maybe 2.1 will fix it. Haven't upgraded mine yet, will see.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I had two incidents today where my phone showed "No Service". After see that, I soft reset the phone and the phone locked in on 4 bar 3G. Different locations.

Also, aside from these two incidents, my phone has had many occassions in the past couple of weeks where they show strong 3G signals but the browser was extremely slow until the phone eventually switched to Edge (usually after about 30-45 seconds).

Richard

I'm going to ask a very obvious question but it is a must... have you upgraded to the latest firmware? 2.1?

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
A couple of days ago, I was having real trouble with 3G. My wireless wasn't connecting and 3G either wouldn't connect or kept switching to Edge. Having spoken to a couple of other UK users, it seems the problem lay with the service provider rather than the phone.

BRiphone

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
I picked up a 3G last week, and my wife picked up one yesterday. I noticed that her 3G (in white) didn't have a great signal. I installed lastest version of firmware and it went from no bars to 1.5 bars. My phone shows a better signal (full bars) than hers does...maybe hers needs to be reset? I will try the airplane mode on/off too. Just weird how two of the same phones, right next to each other, and on the same carrier have such a difference in service.

EDIT: Did a soft reset and that seemed to have fixed the problem. The phone was able to get a stronger signal in both, Edge and 3G networks.

Last edited:

snoopdeig

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
I've been having a similar issue with my new iPhone. Whenever I go from an area with no service into an area with strong service, the phone sticks on "no service" until I force a reset, either by toggling airplane mode, resetting network settings, or turning off the phone.

For example, in my office, I have 5 bars of 3G and get > 1000K/sec download speeds. If I just walk into the elevator and then come back into my office, I see "no service" until I reset. This is very annoying for me since there are a lot of AT&T dead zones in our building, and I often pull my phone out to see "no service" and I'll have a voicemail since I missed a call.

I have contacted Apple about the problem, and they agreed that it wasn't supposed to work like this, and they gave me a new phone. But I still have the same problem. Last Friday I went to AT&T and got a new sim card, but still the same problem exists today.

Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update...until then, I don't know what else I can do!

I've also held another AT&T phone side by side with the iPhone, and I found that the other phone found a signal as soon as I stepped out of the elevator, while my poor iPhone stuck on no service until I toggled airplane mode. I also did the experiment with a co-workers iPhone, and his had the same problem as mine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh