3G vs. Sgnal Strength

ErikJeanna

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
When I pulled my phone out of the box, 3G was enabled by default. I played with apps, used the internet and everything was fine. Then I got a call and the reception was terrible. I dropped 3-5 calls a day in places where I used to have full signal with my Blackjack. My whole family is on AT&T and all get excellent signal, but I toggled between 1 bar and NO SERVICE!

I went to AT&T a few days later and asked them to help me out. The guy behind the counter said I had to turn off the 3G feature. Turn off a feature if I want to make a phone call? Uh... that sucks? But low and behold, he turned it off, my signal shot from 1 bar to 5 immediately. Check out the screen shots where at 10:18am, my phone is set to EDGE how it normally is. Then at 10:19am, I turned on 3G and then have NP SERVICE! Crazy!!!

So here I have this beautiful new iPhone 3G that runs on Edge 24/7 so I can make/receive phone calls. Does this sound right? Is anyone else having issues like this? What is the point of releasing a feature that you can't use?

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Something similar happens to me. If I move maybe a foot and get no service, then move it again a few inches and I'll get full service. All of this over EDGE. There's definitely something buggy going on, whether it be AT&T or the iPhone.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You both aren't talking about the same issue.

For the first guy - Isn't this the issue that was addressed with the new firmware? The problem with the phone switching to EDGE when the 3G signal is low?

With 3G turned on, the bars are measuring the 3G signal. With it off, they are measuring the EDGE signal. Those two signals won't be the same!

For the 2nd guy - he isn't talking about moving around and getting different signal strength, but rather the signal strength with 3G on or off. Your issue is different. Maybe you are near the edge of a signal? Or maybe your radio is faulty.

Chris

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
When I pulled my phone out of the box, 3G was enabled by default. I played with apps, used the internet and everything was fine. Then I got a call and the reception was terrible. I dropped 3-5 calls a day in places where I used to have full signal with my Blackjack. My whole family is on AT&T and all get excellent signal, but I toggled between 1 bar and NO SERVICE!

I went to AT&T a few days later and asked them to help me out. The guy behind the counter said I had to turn off the 3G feature. Turn off a feature if I want to make a phone call? Uh... that sucks? But low and behold, he turned it off, my signal shot from 1 bar to 5 immediately. Check out the screen shots where at 10:18am, my phone is set to EDGE how it normally is. Then at 10:19am, I turned on 3G and then have NP SERVICE! Crazy!!!

So here I have this beautiful new iPhone 3G that runs on Edge 24/7 so I can make/receive phone calls. Does this sound right? Is anyone else having issues like this? What is the point of releasing a feature that you can't use?

Sounds like you are in a bad location for 3g is all. Have you upgraded to the newest firmware? (2.1) If so it's just your location. Like Chris said above, your Edge and 3g service will not be the same. Completely different.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site

Check the coverage maps of you area for 3G. Remember, AT&T has not completed their 3G rollout yet.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
You both aren't talking about the same issue.

For the first guy - Isn't this the issue that was addressed with the new firmware? The problem with the phone switching to EDGE when the 3G signal is low?

With 3G turned on, the bars are measuring the 3G signal. With it off, they are measuring the EDGE signal. Those two signals won't be the same!

For the 2nd guy - he isn't talking about moving around and getting different signal strength, but rather the signal strength with 3G on or off. Your issue is different. Maybe you are near the edge of a signal? Or maybe your radio is faulty.

Chris

Hm, maybe I misread. Sorry. :eek:

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
Even if you are in the 3G coverage area you wil still see the phone switching between 3G and EDGE from time to time, especially you are indoor. If you are outdoor in a 3G area, try browsing the web right after you make a phone call. you might see EDGE first and then 3G after 10 seconds or so. It could be the software (I haven't updated to 2.1 yet).

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Even if you are in the 3G coverage area you wil still see the phone switching between 3G and EDGE from time to time, especially you are indoor. If you are outdoor in a 3G area, try browsing the web right after you make a phone call. you might see EDGE first and then 3G after 10 seconds or so. It could be the software (I haven't updated to 2.1 yet).

Yea you might want to upgrade to 2.1. 3G and EDGE connections are a lot more stable, at least for a majority of people.

ErikJeanna

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I'm current. I upgraded to the 2.1 FW last week. I still have the same problem as the day I got the phone.

So let me get this straight... the signal strength on the upper left of the phone is the signal strength for EDGE or 3G? It's not the phone signal strength? If so, then why don't I drop calls anymore when NOT in 3G mode as opposed to dropping several a day IN 3G mode?

I'm confused.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
The phone signal IS either EDGE or 3G. That is how the sound (and data) is transmitted. But EDGE and 3G are distinct from each other, so the strength in EDGE may be stronger than the signal strength in 3G.

devax

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
As many have said, you appear to have greater Edge signal strength than 3G in your area. Your family doesn't drop as many calls because they are probably not on 3G or are in a better 3G area. I think you will see that your performance on phone calls will be similar or better than what they get if you use Edge only.

It sux, but AT&T is apparently moving fast to upgrade the network.

ErikJeanna

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
OK, I didn't know that the phone signal had anything to do with EDGE or 3G. I thought those were strictly terms for DATA speed... not phone signal. I didn't know they ran on the same thing. With that in mind, then it makes sense why I was dropping calls. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
OK, I didn't know that the phone signal had anything to do with EDGE or 3G. I thought those were strictly terms for DATA speed... not phone signal. I didn't know they ran on the same thing. With that in mind, then it makes sense why I was dropping calls. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yea. EDGE and 3G both have different data speed, of coarse 3G being faster. Also, 3G is suppose to have better call quality. :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods