Iphone Charging Tips

shawnonmobile

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Iphone Charging Tips

iPhone 3G cannot be charged with a FireWire power adapter or FireWire-based car charger. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPhone via USB. If iPhone is connected to a computer that?s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPhone battery may drain.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I believe these tips are commonly known but thanks for the information.

I did, however, make the mistake of charging my phone via my laptop when I forgot that I had closed the lid (My settings currently have the laptop go into sleep mode when I close the lid) and my phone did not charge at all during the night. This was not such a bad thing though as it was a Sunday and I don't have a whole lot going on on Sunday except for studying :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I believe these tips are commonly known but thanks for the information.

I did, however, make the mistake of charging my phone via my laptop when I forgot that I had closed the lid (My settings currently have the laptop go into sleep mode when I close the lid) and my phone did not charge at all during the night. This was not such a bad thing though as it was a Sunday and I don't have a whole lot going on on Sunday except for studying :)

I'm guessing you guys are on Windows laptops? You can charge your iPhone while a Mac is in sleep mode. I charge mine every night this way on my Macbook.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I use a latop running Vista and you cannot charge anything while it is in sleep mode as far as I know.

That is very cool that the MacBook charges the phone while asleep. Do you know how it works?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yes, I use a latop running Vista and you cannot charge anything while it is in sleep mode as far as I know.

That is very cool that the MacBook charges the phone while asleep. Do you know how it works?

How it works? No idea... All I know is that it works! :D

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Wow thats cool that mac works. I have been wanting a macbook pro or Imac for a while now. Hey badash buy me one and I will forever be in your good graces. :D

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm guessing you guys are on Windows laptops? You can charge your iPhone while a Mac is in sleep mode. I charge mine every night this way on my Macbook.

Do you worry about battery "memory" or any of those issues associated with prolonged or often charging? I use my iPhone for everything (I watch at least 45 minutes of video every morning in addition to about an hour of listening to books every day) and it needs constant charging. I've started to just leave it plugged in when I am not using it but worry about battery issues.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Do you worry about battery "memory" or any of those issues associated with prolonged or often charging? I use my iPhone for everything (I watch at least 45 minutes of video every morning in addition to about an hour of listening to books every day) and it needs constant charging. I've started to just leave it plugged in when I am not using it but worry about battery issues.

Honestly, no. I won't have this phone for over a year so there is no need to worry. I go thru so many devices that is a non issue for me. :)

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well it is a Lithium-Ion battery so it's of the best but it is still subject to a limited "lifetime" but it has a great number of cycles it will go through before the battery slowly starts to lose capacity.

The best thing you can do to preserve it is to keep it from dropping and more importantly from extreme heat like inside a car.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
The best thing you can do to preserve it is to keep it from dropping and more importantly from extreme heat like inside a car.

Cool, I don't do either of those two things. Does anybody think it's a good idea to always leave it plugged into the laptop when not in use? - Bad Ash's approach to cycling devices not withstanding :)

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would not recommend just from the small bit of knowledge I have about Lithium-ion batteries. Constant charging of any lithium-ion battery will being to slowly decrease the overall capacity of the battery.

The main problem I see is that high temperature, especially for extended amounts of time, will greatly reduce your battery capacity and quicker than you would like.

Although I have mentioned that you will lose battery capacity it does not happen over night...this occurs over many charge cycles.

If you want to learn a little bit more about lithium-ion batteries and how they work, I found this site right here: Battery University. The site seems to have a pretty well set of facts about lithium-ion batteries and how they are used and what not.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
It's BAD to constantly 100% drain it, however every once in a while (like once a month or so) it's good to drain it 100% to reset the memory "limits" or whatever you call it.

RuthWhise

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I got the emergency battery for charing in lower battery. But it cannot charge to full. It can help me to keep talk in portable. Visit more-thing.com

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I got the emergency battery for charing in lower battery. But it cannot charge to full. It can help me to keep talk in portable. Visit more-thing.com

There are a lot of emergency chargers out there. I've got 3 different models (you can never have too many emergency chargers) and the best in terms of size and price were from dealextreme which do give a full charge as far as I can see - I've never run out of juice on the go anymore.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's BAD to constantly 100% drain it, however every once in a while (like once a month or so) it's good to drain it 100% to reset the memory "limits" or whatever you call it.

I was a bit skeptical about this claim of yours dizzy until I found the same fact on the site I posted in one of my previous posts. :rolleyes:

I think this is one of the more important tips for people to know when dealing with the charging of their iPhone or laptop.

edanzig

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Battery Question

I understand that the 3G Iphone battery only has a certain number of recharges before it fails. I like to top off my battery several times each day just in case I get called away from the office or home for an extended period and need a full charge. Is this a bad habit? Is it better to charge the battery just once, say during the night? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2