2.1 Firmware this Friday [Details inside]

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This Friday. 2.1 is released.

"iPhone owners get a 2.1 software update that ?fixes lots of bugs.? Significantly improved battery life, fewer call drops, crashing problems, increased speed for iTunes backups and various other fixes."

Friggin sweet... :D

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just saw that. Can i say disappointing? Bug fixes were expected. Thought they might actually throw in a feature or two. But what makes this a 2.1 update and not 2.0.4?

But i suppose they do need to get the old stuff straight first before adding new things. If it works, great. Can't wait to find out.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Just saw that. Can i say disappointing? Bug fixes were expected. Thought they might actually throw in a feature or two. But what makes this a 2.1 update and not 2.0.4?

I would not say disappointing. Lets wait until Friday and see what happens. Maybe there will be a surprise or two tossed in. But think about this. How often are new features added to Windows Mobile devices or BB or how about Palms? You'd be lucky to get a bug fix in a whole firmware release. So I think Apple has spoiled some people. Give it time.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
with palm and wm, the features are already there as well as hundreds of apps. We kinda bought the iphone that was missing basic features but hoping they might put them in down the line. Say in a 2.1 update?

This feels like a mere 2.0.4 fix.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Well maybe there are secret new features that they aren't telling us about so when we install 2.1 we get excited.

MPKU

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
I am going to stand on the "disappointed" side of the fence for now. I rarely have a problem with my iPhone so a "bug fix" update to me isn't a big deal. I was looking forward to added features. Hopefully Friday I have a reason to be impressed.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
with palm and wm, the features are already there as well as hundreds of apps. We kinda bought the iphone that was missing basic features but hoping they might put them in down the line. Say in a 2.1 update?

This feels like a mere 2.0.4 fix.

I honestly can not complain since I knew ahead of time that certain things were missing. And to say WM or any BB is perfect and has everything is the farthest thing from the truth. Apple never promised that they would add copy/paste or anything else. Just something you have to live with. Me personally I don't miss anything from any Palm or WM device I've ever owned. The iPhone is slowly has gotten everything that I NEED. Would it be nice to have some things such as copy/paste. Sure. But without it I won't die.

*Good example... WM devices, how long did it take them to get threaded SMS??? How many years???

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I find it weird that 2.1 is available for the touch right now to download, but not for iPhones. Oh well, what's another 3 days?

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I hope the push notification is still coming!

And I think it's out for the iPod touch is because they didn't have to work on anything involved with the phone. So once the other bugs and things were fixed the iPod touch version was done.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I find it weird that 2.1 is available for the touch right now to download, but not for iPhones. Oh well, what's another 3 days?

I'm assuming it's due to the phone radios, etc... Like you said, what is another 3 days. Especially if they go over it one last time... or toss something extra in the next couple days.

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
Well he said sometime this month for push notification, so I am hoping that that shows up sometime soon. Friday would be the logical day. (Are they going to release 2.1) and then in the next 2-3 weeks release an update that adds push notification for application???

Also the GPS thing would have been great, copy/paste yeah, but I don't see that coming anytime soon.

One thing that I am going to be pissed about is if the genius playlist feature isn't included in the release. I have yet to see this confirmed, but the nano is getting it and the touch is getting it. iPhone better be getting it. I have been playing with it in iTunes and I am already addicted to it.

Also considering how close the iPhone and touch are it would seem really dumb if they didn't make it consistent and put it in both devices.

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
You know I just watched the keynote presentation and Jobs only spent 1 minute discussing iPhone.

48 minutes 40 seconds to 49 minutes 40 seconds. Kind of interesting how he rushed through it and really didn't mention any features, just performance updates.

I am hoping they are trying to pull some SURPRISE trick and there are new features. Otherwise, this update really isn't deserving of a 2.X title.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well I think the reason behind the delay till Friday could be that they released the iPods today which come with 2.1 firmware so it kind of makes sense to release it on the same day. At the same time the touch and iphone share pretty much the same firmware (might even be identical and just acts diff in certain areas based on the device).

Another reason is they released iTunes 8 and the 2.1 touch so this would let the initial surge of downloads from their server subside before the millions of iPhone users go to download the update.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Well I think the reason behind the delay till Friday could be that they released the iPods today which come with 2.1 firmware so it kind of makes sense to release it on the same day. At the same time the touch and iphone share pretty much the same firmware (might even be identical and just acts diff in certain areas based on the device).

Another reason is they released iTunes 8 and the 2.1 touch so this would let the initial surge of downloads from their server subside before the millions of iPhone users go to download the update.

As far as I've been told by people who work for Apple, the firmwares are EXACTLY the same. I'd guess it's for the servers. After the fiasco that was the MobileMe/2.0 release and iPhone 3G activations, they don't want that to happen again.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
I'm thinking they held off the iPhone firmware just in case it screws up a billion phones. Then they can scramble over the weekend, and not have (as enormous) a business PR disaster with people not getting emails, calls, etc.

No one is going to sue Apple if their iPod stops working for a few hours, but after what happened initially with the 3G, it might start a groundswell if the 2.1 update did something bad...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods