Why can't I get a iPhone a without 3G plan?

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the 'car radio' analogy is fitting.

Not surprising. :cool:

The iPhone 3G has a REAL radio in it to handle the data separately from cell calls. It is physical hardware in the new iPhone 3G (which is why the old iPhones **can't** access it.) My analogy wasn't an accident.

You are saying you don't want to use it / can't use it -- so you dont' want to pay for it. However - it is in there - waiting to be used. So if you decide to travel to somewhere where there IS 3G - then you will be able to use it. You are paying more for the ability to access the 3G network - whether you do or not is immaterial.

If you don't want to pay the money for 3G - then you need to get a phone that doesn't even SUPPORT it. Then AT&T can be sure you aren't using it - and can offer you a lower data plan.

Anyway - hope this helps.

-Daniel

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah - today is especially bad - so much so that I turned 3G off to get the 5 bars of Edge back.

Just so I am speaking directly -

Edge = -63 (signal strength) (varies from -63 to -67 normally)
3G = -113 (signal strength) (varies from -99 to -113 normally)

And it still tries to pick up on 3G - drops the call. Then 5 seconds later - switches to Edge...

*sighs*

-Daniel (in Los Angeles)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah - today is especially bad - so much so that I turned 3G off to get the 5 bars of Edge back.

Just so I am speaking directly -

Edge = -63 (signal strength) (varies from -63 to -67 normally)
3G = -113 (signal strength) (varies from -99 to -113 normally)

And it still tries to pick up on 3G - drops the call. Then 5 seconds later - switches to Edge...

*sighs*

-Daniel (in Los Angeles)

Los Angeles? That actually shocks me... I figured you were on the fringe of poor 3g area. :eek:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Not surprising. :cool:

The iPhone 3G has a REAL radio in it to handle the data separately from cell calls. It is physical hardware in the new iPhone 3G (which is why the old iPhones **can't** access it.) My analogy wasn't an accident.

You are saying you don't want to use it / can't use it -- so you dont' want to pay for it. However - it is in there - waiting to be used. So if you decide to travel to somewhere where there IS 3G - then you will be able to use it. You are paying more for the ability to access the 3G network - whether you do or not is immaterial.

If you don't want to pay the money for 3G - then you need to get a phone that doesn't even SUPPORT it. Then AT&T can be sure you aren't using it - and can offer you a lower data plan.

Anyway - hope this helps.

-Daniel

Trust me, I WANT to use it. Back home (currently in college) I'd get 3G signal when traveling to Boston or even just a few miles south south from my house. Even though it was rare, it was surely welcome over EDGE.

It just doesn't seem fair to me. I'm sure AT&T has a way to turn 3G off for certain phones or know when it is connected to the 3G network.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Anyone?

I don't think they do.

I could be wrong though...

-Daniel

Now I am not 100% sure but I do not think so. Reason being is I had a tilt along with a first gen iPhone and I could put the iPhones sim card in the Tilt and 3g would work just fine. Nothing ever happened with my bill etc...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
i can't turn off evdo with my wife's centro or pick between evdo rev0 or rev a. You'll have to get over it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal