GSM off, while WiFi on?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
How so? There are flights now that offer WiFi service, for a fee of course.

Well, a few but it is irrelevant.

My understanding of the intent of "Airplane Mode" was to give us some hope of demonstrating to lame airline personnel that our iPhones were in compliance with their policy, whatever that policy requires. While a few airlines may have decided to relax their policy against Wi-Fi, most airlines do not want radio transmitters of any kind on board. There is no justification for this policy but the airlines seem to prefer the position of "better safe than sued."

Airplane mode is a mere ploy but it is one that worked. While I have been told on many airlines that I could not use my Treo to listen to music or read, I have never had that problem with my iPhone.

I am concerned that when airline personnel learn that Airplane Mode no longer means that all transmitters are off, they may insist that the iPhone be "turned off and put away."

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well, a few but it is irrelevant.

My understanding of the intent of "Airplane Mode" was to give us some hope of demonstrating to lame airline personnel that our iPhones were in compliance with their policy, whatever that policy requires. While a few airlines may have decided to relax their policy against Wi-Fi, most airlines do not want radio transmitters of any kind on board. There is no justification for this policy but the airlines seem to prefer the position of "better safe than sued."

Airplane mode is a mere ploy but it is one that worked. While I have been told on many airlines that I could not use my Treo to listen to music or read, I have never had that problem with my iPhone.

I am concerned that when airline personnel learn that Airplane Mode no longer means that all transmitters are off, they may insist that the iPhone be "turned off and put away."

I understand what you are saying. But if airlines are using WiFi... that must mean it is perfectly harmless in flight. As long as the other radios are turned off via airplane mode you should be good. And same here, never have I been told to put the iPhone away.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I understand what you are saying. But if airlines are using WiFi... that must mean it is perfectly harmless in flight. As long as the other radios are turned off via airplane mode you should be good. And same here, never have I been told to put the iPhone away.

If it is harmless now, it has always been harmless. What is more, there has never been any evidence of harm. That has not had anything to do with airline practice. They have taken the position that "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." In our risk averse society, once someone has raised a question of harm, and in the absence of ability to prove a negative, we are forced to behave as though the answer to the question is positive. Thus the position of the airlines and the rather creative Apple response.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner