The 3G Iphone has no clothes.....

Ntheno

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
Let me start by saying Apple has no bigger fan than me. I walked away from Windows two years ago and I will never return. That being said, it's time to recognize the fact that the 3g Iphone has some major issues and is a vastly inferior product to it's peers.

Let's start with the AT&T network. With 3g turned on your phone will drag a 3g connection well into 2g coverage which prevents you from receiving and placing phone calls not to mention missing push data services. This is caused by AT&T's #G coverage and not your phone but, it's a huge issue.

Next, Battery Life, it's a joke. If you don't mind parking the phone in it's charger for half the day you will be fine. For those of us that choose to be mobile well, good luck. You can read an email or make a call before the thing needs recharging.

Now let's spend a little time on the software, this thing is crashing more than a new Lenovo with Vista. It's full of bugs that cause the phone to reset four to five times a day.

As a former crackberry addict I have to admit my expectations were higher. The new push email with activesync is a dramatic improvement but it is far from RIMM's quality.

I really hope Apple gets this figured out quickly. The product is no where near enterprise ready and won't be without significant improvements. I love the concept and if they ever make if work it will be great!

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Give them some time I am sure Apple will have things running smoothly. As for battery life, I use my phone a lot and my battery life is really good.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Yeah my battery life is amazing... i get over a day and a half with it.

But this goes without saying this is a COMMON SENSE THING.

1. you can't just watch movies, surf the web, use all of the amazing media on the iphone for a whole day straight yes that will kill the battery down to zero.

But guess what? it would do it to ANY OTHER device as well. PERIOD. there's no way to argue this.
The iPhone doesn't have a "el cheapo" battery inside it, it actually has a top of the line battery. It's just that it does so much, and does it so well that certain things will drain it out.

Make sure you turn 3G OFF unless your using it.

Why walk around with it on? if you're not using it, turn it off... I believe TUAW made a post about certain settings that you can make sure that are set to preserve battery life. But in my opinion this is pretty much common sense stuff here.

~iPhonemilk

PS. my 3G connection is amazing whenever i have it turned on... (i live in DC)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
With common sense, the battery is very good.

I've been saying this all along... people who think it is horrible have never used a smartphone before. The battery on the 3g is probably one of the best on any current smartphone. Like you guys said, just depends on how you use it.

blackbrd13

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
I have to say that battery on mine seem to be pretty good. Just like everyone says its how you use it.I mean I can take my laptop and if you watch a movie,surf the net,edit a couple documents,write a new document and you might get what about 3 hours of battery life (maybe).Might be just me but I think the battery life is do able.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm fine with it. Just try to get in the practice of having chargers. Got one at work, one at home, one in car, one in wife's car. This applies with any smartphone which should be charged when possible.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I've been saying this all along... people who think it is horrible have never used a smartphone before. The battery on the 3g is probably one of the best on any current smartphone. Like you guys said, just depends on how you use it.

Exactly...

it's like... dude get another smart phone.. try it out and actually listen to music.. watch movies surf the web.. whatever.. and go ahead and get back to me on how your battery life is then...i bet you won't be pleased.

Until the actual Technology of battery's improves... or we get better hardware like a new type of memory perhaps? (dare i say, Phase memory? ) i don't see any revolutionary changes to battery life in ANY Smartphone that will be released. We will all be stuck with 24 hour phones basically.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I agree, the battery life is great. The people complaining about it have to understand that the iphone has so many fun and different features that you cant help but use it all day long. Using it all day long leads to the battery draining, and as someone mentioned earlier that is normal and any phone/smartphone/computer would do that. I think what's happening is people are so use to Blackberry's, or Treo that doesn't have all the features iphone has (music,videos,app store,BETTER internet) so there batteries would last them a full day without a charge. Hell.....the great internet experience alone on the iphone has me on the internet more than my Mac at home. I use to hate internet on smartphones before iphone. I'll admit I thought the battery was horrible too when I first bought my 3g but I had to remind myself that I'm surfing the internet more, i'm listening to music, watching videos, and playing games, searching the app store, and talking on it alot, which is way more than I was doing with my Blackberry or Treo.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree I get a day and half with regular use. Makes sure wifi and 3G are off when mobile!!! They drain battery big time. I had the pleasure of using 3G for the first time ever over the weekend in MI. Its awesome.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2