How fast... or slow is your 3g speed?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
2.2Mbps, though subsequent tests show pretty wild fluctuation between 1.5 and 2+ even over short intervals...
Yeah, that's normal with 3g/edge testing, but should be more consistent if you are on a private wifi connection.

Another site is the DSL Reports test:
iPhone speedtest

It's not a pretty site that's for sure, but I find this test to be a bit more accurate than testmyiphone.com.

And I just recently created another test site called My3gSpeed:
My 3G Speed | Test my iPhone speed, 3g speed test

I think my site is pretty nice looking and gives results similar to what DSL Reports gives.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Here are some test I took the other day. This is kind of the low range I get while sitting in front of my computer, but it changes every second so if I did a test right after that it could have been higher

EnterpriseGlobe

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
3G Speed.. How fast is your 3g?

I have an 3g iphone and our area was finally upgraded from Edge to 3G. :)

I'm curious how fast the 3g is in your area.
I'm not really impressed with it.

Is there a piece of software that I can use to test this? :D

What types of speeds are you guys getting?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
In the App Store there is a free app called "Speedtest". It will do what you are looking for.

I just tested it out tonight and I got 1052 Kbs up down and 233 Kps up. I have gotten better but hat is what I got tonight.

That is about 30% faster than I use to get with Sprint's EvDo. At least in my Area (North Alabama)

Reactions: Leanna Lofte

redrebellion

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
depends where i stand in my house. Certain spots in the house recieve no 3G. But when i stand other side of the room it will be quite fast. Not tested the speed but i will try out that app tonight

blakejackson

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
There's a good chance that because its a new network, everyone is trying it out at once, which can reduce the speed. Also, at&t's 3g network is just rather moody, no two ways about it. At its fastest, it will smoke EV-DO, but it doesn't seem to hold as consistent of a speed as Verizon's network, at least in my experience.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
At my home in Frederick, MD (speedtest.net app, 45 miles north of DC)
~1000kbps down
~250kbps up

In Washington, DC
~2000kbps down
~300kbps up

3G was just expanded to my home in Frederick in December. I found downloads to be quite a bit faster in DC and I assume they are probably similar in Baltimore as well. But even 1000kbps is pretty fast I think for a wireless cell service. It also varies a bit naturally, but looking at my testing results those are the averages. I also tested EDGE one time at home, it was pretty bad; ~150kbps/~80kbps. But I think my area is one of the ones where EDGE was down graded for better 3G.

noahv

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
3G speed tests results

testmyiphone (3G down) = 329 Kbps (but awful [>8000ms] latency)
i.dslr.net/iphone_speedtest (3G) = 589 Kbps (better latency)

tests taken within 5 seconds of each other, without moving phone or otherwise changing parametes.

fwiw - ymmv.

claygreenberg

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I live in NYC and the fastest download time I've ever gotten is between 500-600 Kbps. That was at very "off-peak" times. More often, it's much much lower. Case in point:

I just tested with the speedtest app:
165 Kbps down
95 Kbps up

latency: 578 ms

I was recently in Columbus, Ohio and tested >1300 Kbps down, and I've done many resets, network settings resets, and even restored as new twice, so I know it's not a problem with my unit.

This is infuriating

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
What's the DL speeds for 3G in your area?!?!

Currently in Woodland Hills California.

Just used the speedtest app on my phone, here's my results

1.71 down
.21 up

Good if accurate. But not great:eek:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I've been getting about 1.5 down in Miami using my speed test site.

EDIT, Just realized this wasn't a new thread and just posted these links above so going to delete them from here :D

Last edited:

macnkat

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
0.18 down...I didn't even bother with the up I was so disappointed. That's in my house, 3G and 5 bars for what that's worth.

macnkat

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Beaumont CA, between Palm Springs and San Bernardino. I was shocked to say the least, this isn't a podunk little area and the cell reception has always been great. I really think I might have an issue with Safari because it's constantly crashing, but I'm not sure. When I use the house wi-fi it's 4.45 Mps.

lagmefragme

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
oww... the hazards of being in a univ town with a ton of students around

Individual 3g tests from testmyiphone.com:
0.183 Mbps down (latency not even measured)
0.085 Mbps (latency: 8428.5ms)

Dual 3g test from testmyiphone.com:
0.107 Mbps down
0.240 Mbps up
latency not measured.

It's fun seeing that I'm .2 and .5 times faster then EDGE. It's also fun seeing my up faster than down. And I did the test once and got .16 Mbps down so I power cycled my phone before doing the tests again (results above).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73