Changing the text message alert tone???

ILBandit

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I have added quite a few ringtones to my new 3G, but I notice that none of the custom ringtones will appear in my choices for "new text message sound".
Is there a way to add new / custom ringtones to the text message sounds fields?
The ones that came on the phone are OK, but I would like to have several other ones as an alert also.

gai

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid not. Not sure why Apple missed out on this. This should have been given as an option for the users as I consider this as a basic functionality of a hand phone.
I feel that the bundled tones that comes are just too soft and short. I missed many messages since I started using the iphone especially at night when I'm deep asleep and urgent matters need to be looked into. If only the tones could be repeated twice or trice per SMS. That would be great.
Let's hope the 2.1 FW would have some good news for us.

ILBandit

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid not. Not sure why Apple missed out on this. This should have been given as an option for the users as I consider this as a basic functionality of a hand phone.
I feel that the bundled tones that comes are just too soft and short. I missed many messages since I started using the iphone especially at night when I'm deep asleep and urgent matters need to be looked into. If only the tones could be repeated twice or trice per SMS. That would be great.
Let's hope the 2.1 FW would have some good news for us.

I agree, I had a app on my treo, that would bug me every 5 minutes with a loud tone if I missed a text, phone call, voicemail, etc. It would be nice to have something like that implemented.

I'm glad to be able to get louder phone ringtones, the stock ones were pretty quiet also.

gai

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
I agree, I had a app on my treo, that would bug me every 5 minutes with a loud tone if I missed a text, phone call, voicemail, etc. It would be nice to have something like that implemented.

I'm glad to be able to get louder phone ringtones, the stock ones were pretty quiet also.

Hey.... If that app appear in the app store, I'll be one of the first to get it.
Since there is always a missed call and message indicator on the iphone, I'm sure that writing an app for this purpose will not be that difficult.

One way to overcome this problem is to Jailbreak your phone. Which I'm not really keen on doing.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Don't know if you guys had an original iPhone or not.

But if i remember correctly when i first got my iPhone within a month or 2 months after release they come out with an Update with included like 2 or 3 more text message sounds.

Not really a big update but still more sounds..

Why they have not kept on doing this? I would say is probably because they seem to be sticking to priorities whcih would be other things right now...

the good news is, Logically that's a very easy thing to patch in... either giving us the option to MAKE SMS tones, or just giving us more tones... either way i foresee it coming up in yet another update which is good. =)

Which should see a change in this soon..

If you do jailbreak your iPhone i believe you can COPY over the already current existing SMS Tones and replace them with new ones. But that's if you jailbreak. which i'm not going to do. =)

Camcardshark

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hey.... If that app appear in the app store, I'll be one of the first to get it.
Since there is always a missed call and message indicator on the iphone, I'm sure that writing an app for this purpose will not be that difficult.

One way to overcome this problem is to Jailbreak your phone. Which I'm not really keen on doing.

how exactly do you overcome this problem if you did jailbreak?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Do a search for my posts. In august I believe, I posted a detailed guide how to change SMS and MMS ringtones via SSH/USB Access.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234