So what's the latest news on Turn-by-Turn GPS on the iPhone?

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi, all,

Last month, it seemed pretty "definite" that Telenav was going to be releasing its turn-by-turn GPS app. for the iPhone 3G (reference: the Gizmodo article as one of many you can look up on the web about the Telenav/Iphone 3G connection).

Of course, we all heard the rumors that TomTom was going to release their app. on the iPhone as well and we saw how quickly that got squashed...

Then recently, this article at the iphone blog came up:

"Why You Shouldn?t Hold Your Breath Waiting for Realtime Turn-by-Turn Directions within Google Maps"

Okay, so this seems to reinforce the fact that TomTom won't be on the iPhone any time soon. But what about Telenav? Is that still a "go?" Are we still going to eventually get the Telenav Turn-by-turn GPS software on the iphone 3G? What's the latest word on this? Thoughts, folks?

It's gotten to the point where I'd be happy with ANY type of decent turn-by-turn GPS app. on my iPhone. I would even be willing to pay the monthly Telenav. fee. GAWD, I'm like a pathetic beggar...;)

A guy who would really would like to see turn-by-turn GPS on the iPhone's big beautiful screen,
Brent

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Given that there's a rumored Apple Event on the 9th of Sept, I'd wait and see if there was any announcement there (or shortly thereafter).

It's expected to be largely iPod/iTunes focused, but I could see a throw-in announcement for turn-by-turn ;)

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
I ordered my 3g, should have it tomorrow. Turn by Turn is a big want, not a need, but I want it. If the Treo Pro is out before we get word on this, my 3g may just have to subsidize the new Treo..

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Here is what I don't get. If you have maps on won't it eventually turn off to the lock screen when driving. Unless you turn off automatic lock then you now have to keep you phone plugged into the cig lighter to keep the battery going. If your driving for say 5-6 hours on the road won't your phone just heat up from being on the whole time?

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
Here is what I don't get. If you have maps on won't it eventually turn off to the lock screen when driving. Unless you turn off automatic lock then you now have to keep you phone plugged into the cig lighter to keep the battery going. If your driving for say 5-6 hours on the road won't your phone just heat up from being on the whole time?

I never thought of that. I doubt I would use my iPhone for a long trip though. I would probably use it for short trips around the state.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Or you could just buy a cheap gps, throw it on your dash and forget about it.. I mean, don't you want to be able to take calls, etc, while driving? No matter what they do to it, it will be a third rate gps device.

Get a garmin...makes life easier. I'm all for stuffing features in a phone, but sometimes, certain ones are just better with a standalone. Also, garmins are better for taking the abuse from sunlight. I wouldn't want my iphone stuck on the dash in it or have to try to listen to its weaker speaker. Again, sounds good on paper, but not as feasible when trying to use it that way.

If i'm not mistaken, the garmin 880, expensive, is voice activated, has BT and many other features you probably don't need. THe much cheaper 700 series is being updated soon i hear. The iphone, i'd use the gps for other things..geotagging photos, sending addresses to my garmin unit, using the search when not in car, etc. Plus the gps comes in handy in various apps that want to know your location.

JMO..don't yell too much at me :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711