Has the 2.0.2 fw really fixed anything for you???

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I can't update until after work... so post your results here... what is working seems to working better? What is not fixed? Etc...

biker74

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
Iphone working as normal and well.

The only noticeable difference I am finding is, although still not getting a great 3g reception, well, none. The iphone is now finding 2g when it cant find 3g - before it was just telling me there was no service or sticking at 3g with no bars.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm curious to know if they fixed the issue with the sounds disappearing. I really have no issues with 3g in this area. Knock on wood...

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
I got done updating about an hour ago and so far, this is what I noticed:

-No more keyboard lag (all around)
-No more lag in contacts (the most lag I've had was a 1 second lag)
-Faster UI

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
I updated a while ago, and I am sitting in the office where I make most of my phone calls, and seeing "No Service" on the phone. Too early to tell if this is a result of this 2.0.2 update, or whether AT & T's network is just having a bad day in my area, but I have seen the bouncing bars phenomenon frequently in the past hour. While typing this message, I went from No Service to a fraction of a bar, to 4 bars, and back to 2 bars -- all while the iPhone is sitting on the desk in front of me.

This was Edge. When I had 3G on, the meter would also bounce around, but stay much lower -- from fraction of one bar to 2 bars, which is to be expected since I am right on the edge of AT & T's 3G coverage area.

When I had 3G on, I also had a few minutes where I had bars, but no indicator of the type of connection [E] or [3G]. Perhaps that is normal, and I just need to read my instruction manual more.

AZBear#CB

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Update complete with no problems. :)

Getting more 3G bars 2 - 3 in front and 5 in back of house. (used to be none up front and 2 or 3 in back).

As stated above no more lag in contacts (YEA!!)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
One thing I have to say is this update is not going to improve your signal. Like mentioned above your signal is going to depend on your location and At&t's 3g coverage. What was supposed to be corrected was the change from 3g to edge or vice versa and the dropping of calls. I've read a lot of people complaining {Not on this forum} that this update did nothing because their 3g service still is not good.

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but since I updated my iPhone it is really really fast (not data) the UI is blazing fast now, compared to 2.0.1 F/W.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Any way to gauge whether it is truly getting a stronger signal or just displaying more bars in appeasement?

EDIT: Just finished updating. I'm not seeing any increase in signal where I live. So.Cal.

Last edited:

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but since I updated my iPhone it is really really fast (not data) the UI is blazing fast now, compared to 2.0.1 F/W.

I agree!!!! Wow. Now singal is another matter like badash said. The UI is fast. Now it tooks me 3 hours again to get this and need more time to test. Keyboard is fast.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ok, installed the update... very disappointed from the start... seems snappier sure... unplugged the phone after update and I got a text message... no sound! Still, come on Apple... so that's one thing for sure that was NOT fixed.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I see no difference in the update. I still have contact lag, which has always been my problem since day one. Everything else works perfectly and always has. It takes about 4-7 seconds every time before I can scroll thru my contacts.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I see no difference in the update. I still have contact lag, which has always been my problem since day one. Everything else works perfectly and always has. It takes about 4-7 seconds every time before I can scroll thru my contacts.

That is a long lag time... I will admit I do not have much lag at all. It's odd how some people have lag, others do not. Weird. Like I've been saying we need to keep reporting all these issues to Apple. All we can do at this point and hope the issues get corrected.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/apple-iphone-3g/166348-report-your-bugs-2-0-2-apple-link-inside.html

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, contact app is more responsive... but 3G performance is still terrible. This morning on my way to work, I tried calling audio voicemail 10 times - and the call failed 7 times! This was at 6:30am, so I don't buy the network congestion argument. This was also all in the distance of about 2 miles, as I watched my signal meter jump around between 2 and 5 bars.

Fortunately I'm less than 3 weeks into my AT&T contract, so if I can't get a decently performing replacement at the Apple Store or a magic software update in the next week, I can go back to my trusty 4-year-old Treo 650.

Has anyone had any luck getting a better-performing replacement at an Apple Store after complaining about 3G performance issues?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, contact app is more responsive... but 3G performance is still terrible. This morning on my way to work, I tried calling audio voicemail 10 times - and the call failed 7 times! This was at 6:30am, so I don't buy the network congestion argument. This was also all in the distance of about 2 miles, as I watched my signal meter jump around between 2 and 5 bars.

Fortunately I'm less than 3 weeks into my AT&T contract, so if I can't get a decently performing replacement at the Apple Store or a magic software update in the next week, I can go back to my trusty 4-year-old Treo 650.

Has anyone had any luck getting a better-performing replacement at an Apple Store after complaining about 3G performance issues?

You may just be in a spot with poor 3g coverage. Your phone is probably fine.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
my install was a total pooch screw. Needed to restore as iTunes crashed during install. Ugh. Seems to be a bit snappier. But not sure if it's from re update or from the fresh install.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
You may just be in a spot with poor 3g coverage. Your phone is probably fine.

...except that I have the same problems no matter where I try this experiment. I live in Silicon Valley. AT&T's coverage map (I know, grain of salt) shows seamless 3G coverage everywhere I go in the course of a day. There's an Apple building 100 yards from my house! You'd think Apple would make sure its hardware works in its own backyard.

Anyhow, I guess I'm one of the "2%" (yeah, right) of users who Jobs admits is having "issues". I'm going to try to get a replacement, and if it gets the same reception then I'll have to decide if I'm willing to pay a 3G monthly bill for what is essentially a great 2G phone.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Contact speed is much better (I was having to wait 1-2 seconds previously with around 700+ contacts from Exchange on the phone). 3G still blows sitting in my living room but EDGE reception shows more bars. Made a call just a minute ago - voice quality is fine. Then again, it was very good before. My townhouse is in a crappy 3G coverage area. When I get out later on today, I'll test out 3G coverage since AT&T is pretty good around here (Columbia, MD between DC & Baltimore). 2.0.1 seemed to fix a lot of the overall UI speed and response issues for me before. We'll see if this does anything to make it better (although I was fine with 2.0.1).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711