Has the 2.0.2 fw really fixed anything for you???

Wegmans#IM

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
You may just be in a spot with poor 3g coverage. Your phone is probably fine.

Well we know the iPhone has horrible 3G reception. I have a friend with a RAZR and he gets 3G everywhere (i'm in Baltimore) and I barely even get one bar. Our phones reception is poor, but the phone is fantastic, so i'll accept that trade off since if i'm sedentary, i'm around WiFi..

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well we know the iPhone has horrible 3G reception. I have a friend with a RAZR and he gets 3G everywhere (i'm in Baltimore) and I barely even get one bar. Our phones reception is poor, but the phone is fantastic, so i'll accept that trade off since if i'm sedentary, i'm around WiFi..

My 3g reception is excellent here in Chicago... even in my basement I have 5 full bars right as I am typing this. Move to Chicago... ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I am not noticing, more bars in more places.

Don't think that was the point of this update. From what I understand it's not going to give you better reception, it's just going to stop the switching from edge to 3g {vice versa} and the dropped call issue.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
3G patch

Very interesting lunch. I decide to run out to my favorite sports bar in Columbia, MD and get in a game of Golden Tee along with a couple of beers. Struck up a conversation another 3G iPhone owner. He turns out to be the VP of operations for AT&T here in the Maryland region. Some high points.

Obviously AT&T's network coverage map isn't accurate. I asked, since we're shown as fully covered here, why isn't 3G worth beans on the iPhone. Couple of reasons. First - AT&T lies. Duh. Even though I live in a "fringe coverage zone" it is still shown as full coverage on the map. On the bright side, much more 3G rollout is literally in the works despite AT&T's claim that the rollout was complete back in July.

Second - and this makes a lot of sense given 2.0.2 update today. What did it do? Well, besides UI upgrades and bug patches the big thing is the 3G fix. He said that it increases network power on request from the phone (I'm not an electrical engineer so no clue here) and should not only improve 3G reception but also decrease 3G battery consumption. This is a good thing.

Finally - and I like this part. He said that currently most of the 3G towers around here (Baltimore/DC area) are 1900 mhz. The new hardware (I'm assuming towers, etc.) going up is 850 mhz which should significantly increase building penetration and generally improve the entire experience. He threw around some numbers such as 60% improved in building reception, blah, blah. I take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway - FYI. The guy was geniunely friendly and seemed to know every detail of iPhone geekdom (I would certainly hope so). And if it makes you feel any better, I beat him by 4 strokes on Golden Tee :cool:

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I just posted a new thread on "3G patch" after lunch today. It might answer some of the 3G questions especially for Baltimore (I live in Ellicott City and work at Hopkins).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Judging from the responses here so far the patch did nothing for reception. I personally can not verify or deny the claim that it does because where I am at I have do not have reception issues. Like I have said a few times in other posts I have not heard of the patch making reception better. I want to hear what Apple has to say about the patch. Plain and simple.

***And I could not take it... I lost my sounds a total of 5 times this morning. It has never been that bad! So I restored from scratch and ditched the old backup file. See if that clears anything up...

Last edited:

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Man, just when I was about to JB my iPhone they release this update. Well I rather have the bug fixes. As mentioned by others the contacts speed is 100% better for me. I haven't noticed any difference it signal strength.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
This is all so strange to me. I never had lag until the last update (2.0.1) and it was HORRIBLE lag. Since updating to 2.0.2 I have had problems with Safari working (had to do a hard reset a couple of times today) the error says it cannot connect to the server (or something along those lines). It didn't matter what website, Safari would either freeze or give me that error message. As for 3G fix... right now it isn't looking good. I will update more tomorrow with what I am experiencing as far as call drops. However, my phone still wants to hang on to a extremely weak 3G signal (no bars but the phone does not say "No Service") rather than kicking me out to a 2G signal that has 3 bars. Again, I will update on the call drops tomorrow. It has been an odd last couple days as family has come into town I haven't seen in ages and have not been on the phone (or in my normal routine).

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if it's just me or the places I've been putting down my phone, but I've actually had service in my room now. Before the update I could only barely get one bar in the weirdest spots in my room. Now in some places I get 2-3 bars!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Latest issue I was having on my way home from work today.... full bars on 3g. My maps were coming up blank... gps was working fine but as you can see... Did a reset on the network settings and it seems to have cleared it up. Either way if this continues I see a BOLD in on the horizon as much as it pains me to say it. Trust me, I want this phone to work the way it should, so leaving it would be my last resort.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Latest issue I was having on my way home from work today.... full bars on 3g. My maps were coming up blank... gps was working fine but as you can see... Did a reset on the network settings and it seems to have cleared it up. Either way if this continues I see a BOLD in on the horizon as much as it pains me to say it. Trust me, I want this phone to work the way it should, so leaving it would be my last resort.

The Bold could be having issues with the 3G network as well.
Blackberry Bold: BlackBerry Bold Plagued by Same 3G Problems as iPhone

You know Apple Engineers and Steve are not happy about having all these issues. 2.0 seemed rushed and not fully put through its paces.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The Bold could be having issues with the 3G network as well.
Blackberry Bold: BlackBerry Bold Plagued by Same 3G Problems as iPhone

You know Apple Engineers and Steve are not happy about having all these issues. 2.0 seemed rushed and not fully put through its paces.

Interesting. I actually did a complete restore from scratch earlier and so far not a single issue I was having prior. At first I was not going to install any apps what so ever but I added just the ones I use on a regular basis and all is well. I'll report back in a day or so to see if anything acts up again.

Since the 2.0.2 update, my phone lags in almost all aspects...especially on the contacts page and the keyboard. My phone seemed to work better on the original s/w out of the box (2.0) and I am almost ready to downgrade.

Of course, my phone is jb'd...maybe that is causing some of the issues(?).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Since the 2.0.2 update, my phone lags in almost all aspects...especially on the contacts page and the keyboard. My phone seemed to work better on the original s/w out of the box (2.0) and I am almost ready to downgrade.

Of course, my phone is jb'd...maybe that is causing some of the issues(?).

You are jailbroken on 2.0.2? Brave man...

* Ah update for pwnage tool is out for 2.0.2...
** And here is a update on my issues the past two days. Yesterday afternoon I just decided to do a complete restore and ditch my backups. So far so good actually. The issues that I've complained about are not showing up. Loss of sounds, web browsing issues, map issues, no lag, etc... So if you are having issues with 2.0.2 you may benefit from doing a restore and leaving your old back up files behind. It just may help solve your problems.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen