12-08-2010 04:50 PM
- Hey everyone,
I wanted to write this small little solution, and also kind of an description of the issue I was having, and I think most of you will discover that you've had it before or hopefully if it does happen to you this will help you out. Instead of going into the apple store.....
Heres the problem, First off most of the time i am on the go, so i never use itunes, especially to install Apps. i am always buying new games and new apps (i've got like 5 home pages now) So i am always buying them through the App Store ICON and not through Itunes.
This problem has happened to me 3 times now sine 2.1 update.
Before i get into it, i'd like to say that I DO enjoy the 2.1 update i'm not bashing it at all, it has indeed improved overall speed and stability of using apps. However there is this one huge bug that i keep running into.
This is what happens. I click on BUY NOW, and then INSTALL from the App Store and it takes me to the Home page and shows the app starting to install and download. All of a sudden out of NOWhere the iphone locks up, screen goes black and i get the Apple Logo. When this first happened i said to myself... Ok it's rebooting itself, i'll buy that. However it stayed FROZEN at the apple logo screen. I thought it just need time to sit there, so i let it sit for 30 minutes and it never changed.
Still frozen at the apple logo screen black, I tried rebooting the device (hold down the home button and the sleep button and it will do a hard reset) It turns off and back on and comes up to the apple logo screen, STILL no avail it just sits there.
I thought to myself well crap i'm screwed now I think installing this new App just Hosed my phone...
Well here's what to do, and also my few pieces of advice
1. If you are an avid app installer like me, and also song purchaser movie purchaser, or if you are just in general a person who is constantly putting NEW stuff on your iphone i recommand doing a backup on a DAILY basis. with the new backup tips you can accomplish this is 30 minutes or less now. Backing up is indeed faster.
2. Don't use the app store icon to install apps, or at least try your best not to... this is the cause of the crash. Use itunes instead. or..... just know that it's risky.
-----------Here is the fix.
If your iPhone is stuck at the Apple Logo here's how to fix it.
Open up itunes and have it just sit there.
Make sure your iphone is turned off
Plug in the sync cable then turn on the iphone.
while the iphone is turning on HOLD DOWN THE HOME BUTTON and ONLY the home button by itself, do not hold down the sleep button just do the home button.
Keep doing this it takes like 15 seconds or so, it will invoke the restore mode through itunes.
You will notice a dialog box come up in Itunes saying would you like to restore your iPhone . Choose yes and kick that off.
This is pretty much what an apple store employee will do if you bring in your phone with a Crashed Apple Logo screen. So now you can just do this yourself....08-08-2008 08:32 AM
- Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
My first iPhone shut down twice because of this and they sent me out a new one because they thought it was faulty - but your solution completely worked!
Thank you a million times!! Now I must try to curb my Applications addiction....09-12-2008 10:39 AM
- JeremyRetired Moderator09-12-2008 02:17 PM
- Well it's good to know I'm doing it right. It's bad to know there's no other solution than the painful re-install process. Last week I re-built my phone 5 times in 2 days. I'm convinced there is some sort of conflict with Intelliscreen and Winterboard. No I'm only running Intelliscreen and all is good.09-12-2008 02:27 PM
- For me I had to do the home and sleep button until the logo reappeared, then just held the home button down to enter in recovery mode. I used iClarified to jailbreak my phone, all I had to do to get the software back on was click alt while pushing restore in iTunes, then clicked on the custom restore I had with the iClarified jailbreak. Hope this helps!
And the reason mine crashed like this in the first place was trying to get the MMS installed through the jailbreak app downloader.
Thanks for the help and hopefully this helps someone06-29-2009 11:41 PM
- I had my brand new Iphone 3gs freeze up, it would just stay on the apple logo screen. I would try shutting it off and it would but when i turned it back on it would just stay on the apple screen again. And it wouldn't sync with Itunes or anything. I thought I was screwed! But i found this video on youtube that shows how to restore the phone which is way easier to follow than someone trying to explain it in text.
This post wont let me post the link for some reason though so just go to youtube.com and type this exact thing in... "How to RESTORE iPhone / iPod Touch. FIX FREEZING AND ERRORS!" (without the quotes) and it will bring up the video.
hopes this helps people like it did me!03-16-2010 10:25 AM
- Hello everyone here`s my frozzen Iphone story. Last night my 3GS got stuck while i was using Skype, i just couldn`t close that app, i rebooted the Iphone (sleep and home buttons) just to get the famous Apple logo for a very, very, very long time.
At home i tried everything, but i mean every trick on the book, pressing both buttons for rebooting, letting it reboot 2 times, disconnecting the cable and rebooting and then connect the usb cable while holding the home, etc. The only method that worked was one i read that gave the advice to just press both buttons for over a minute and thirty seconds (Iphone got in DFU mode), well that worked BUT...... when i wanted to restore it with the ipsw 3.1.2 firmware (my Iphone is jailbroken that`s why i keep 3.1.2 version) i got a message that went something like this: the current version is not compatible with your Iphone.
Ok so while that happenned i left my Iphone connected to my MAC, i couldn`t restore it, so i thought, let`s leave it recharging for a while (it had been like 3 hours with the same problem) and i`ll see what can be done tomorrow (today) i went to get a drink and while on the kitchen i heard the Iphone beep when it connects to itunes and iphoto. That`s it it came alive alone, i tried everything and nothing worked, i didn`t loose any apps nor information, i just did a backup and i`m cool.
I think that sometimes if you are not in a hurry, connecting it to the computer with itunes open or not, might do the work.
Cheers and good luck.
Last edited by LexGti; 06-13-2010 at 10:21 AM.06-13-2010 10:17 AM
Also, try plugging it in to the computer and see if iTunes recognizes it.06-21-2010 07:02 PM
- My problem... I messed my jailbroken iPhone 3g up by doing a reset on the phone, then restore through iTunes. Now it's stuck on the apple logo screen, and my power button is broken. I know, I'm an *****....Also, my laptop has Win7 Professional and it won't see it when I plug it in. I can get it to go into recovery mode.
Any suggestions?12-08-2010 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD