Battery Life: Question on what is typical, esp using Wifi heavily

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
I took the plunge and have shelved my Blackberry 8830 in favor of a 16GB Iphone 3G. There are some things I love about it, and some things I already miss about my Blackberry. (Subject for another post :) ). However, I share the common issue with battery life, and I am trying to determine if my phone is typical, or if it might be a unique lemon, while I am still in the trial period.

I have 3G off and Wifi on, and have talked about 30 minutes on the phone today thus far. However, I have done a fair amount of web surfing via Wifi. (No YouTube or podcasting, just browsing. This will be my likely usage pattern in the long run, with 3G only on when I am away from hotspots.) I just received the 20% warning, after the phone has been off the charger for about 4 1/2 hours. Obviously, everybody's battery life is going to differ a bit, but, for those of who who have the phones already, is this typical for people who leave the Wifi radio on -- 1/2 to 2/3 of a day of use, or is this below norm enough that I should check back with the Apple Store about getting a replacement?

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome -- actually, I had read that post, and I am already doing everything described in the linked article. Still, the battery life is ~6 hours, and, since I had not seen any postings indicating mean battery life, I thought to ask.

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Thank you, but I have read the specifications as well -- that was the reason for my original question, because my experiences so far fall well short of those specifications. (The specs page says up to 6 hours using the internet via Wifi, but I have to recharge after 6 hours, period -- with perhaps 2 hours of Wifi use in there, and 30 minutes of talk, and the remainder on standby.) I was/am hoping that other iphone 3g owners can let me know their experiences, so I can determine if the specs page is wishful thinking, and this is what I should expect, or if I simply have a bad unit.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well you fall in with the rest of us. That's why I pointed to the battery tip thread. In there a lot of us posted screen shots of what we are getting out of the battery. You are not alone as you fall in with the rest of us.

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks -- I am not sure if that is good to hear or not :) In the next couple of days I will try an add my numbers/shots to that thread as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711