Brushed metal iPhone

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
reaktor,
did you put the electrical tape right onto the invisible shield?

I actually didn't put any on the front. And I ripped off the invisibleshield backing off because I wasn't happy with it.

Getting the tape perfect takes patience but it's worth it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I actually didn't put any on the front. And I ripped off the invisibleshield backing off because I wasn't happy with it.

Getting the tape perfect takes patience but it's worth it.

Nice, so you didn't put anything over the screen? How much pressure did you apply and how long did it take to get the look you wanted? I'm going to have to pick up a scotchbrite pad tomorrow and practice on my girlfriends phone.... :cool:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Nice, so you didn't put anything over the screen? How much pressure did you apply and how long did it take to get the look you wanted? I'm going to have to pick up a scotchbrite pad tomorrow and practice on my girlfriends phone.... :cool:

Well the invisibleshield front was on my screen still. I suggest taping up the front just in case. Took me about 5 minutes. I started off pretty slow with not much pressure but then got the hang of it. The trick is to use large motions instead of a quick back and forth to really get the lines looking good. I used the corner of the pad and pressed down with one finger pretty hard which seemed to make it easier.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
someone mentioned residue from the electrical tape. If were all going out for the scouring pad, you could also try painters tape. It's made for similar applications.

Last edited:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
someone mentioned residue from the electrical tape. If were all going out for the scourig pad, you could also try painters tape. It's made for similar applcations.

Electrical tape seems more durable to me.
And I used a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol which made the residue come off very easily.

MPKU

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Reaktor5, looks great.

I also took the back part of my invisible shield just yesterday because I was unhappy with it. It felt awkward and the corners would stick out and peel up.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Reaktor5, looks great.

I also took the back part of my invisible shield just yesterday because I was unhappy with it. It felt awkward and the corners would stick out and peel up.

Same with me. Dirt/lint got under there and it really looked awful.
I'm thinking about getting a FullBodyFilms set, iLounge gave it an A- and said it was the best out of the three they tested (including the invisibleshield). And it's the cheapest of the three, go figure.

FullBodyFilms Protection Pack for iPhone 3G | iLounge

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
@Reaktor

Any negative effects of doing this so far?

Nope none yet.
One thing I found was some of the brush strokes weren't going in the same direction (me being dumb and using small strokes) so I went back over it and it seems to look better. Which is good, if you mess up you can fix it.

I also did the sleep/wake button, volume up/down, and the silent button. It blends in a lot better that way. And surprisingly, that's how I thought it was going to look by the Macworld pictures.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Nope none yet.
One thing I found was some of the brush strokes weren't going in the same direction (me being dumb and using small strokes) so I went back over it and it seems to look better. Which is good, if you mess up you can fix it.

I also did the sleep/wake button, volume up/down, and the silent button. It blends in a lot better that way. And surprisingly, that's how I thought it was going to look by the Macworld pictures.

Sounds good. Cool.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I want to, just going to hold off until/or if I scratch the chrome up. Which may take a good amount of time. I baby my phones. I was tempted the other day but I decided against it for whatever reason.

Yeah that's what I was going to do. But the pictures got the best of me. :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I finally got around to doing my girlfriends phone to see how it would turn out and it looks pretty good. Although you can see where I taped too much on the chrome so I will have to go over it again quick. But it does look nice. And no more finger prints on the chrome!!! :)

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
no... took the case off, it was trapping water and "stuff" (explicative removed) under the case and putting little micro scratches on the back, especially the chrome piece, which prompted me to do this project.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh