iPhone or BB Bold for a med student?

chetanvedvyas

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I'm a med student and I'm trying to figure out which device to get for the next 2 years: a Bold or an iPhone. I've looked into both, but am unsure about which way to go. I have Verizon and would have to switch to AT&T if I wanted the iPhone.

I think the absolute software development fervor surrounding the iPhone puts it at a clear advantage for medical applications. But, I think the Bold is far quicker and easier to manage in a few arenas, especially for rapidly dialing phone numbers, dialing from contacts, and adding contacts. Also, I feel as though it will be easier to quickly type lengthier messages on the Bold.

Can somebody enlighten me as to why I should go either way?
Also, I only know of ePocrates Rx for the iPhone. Does anyone know of other medical apps currently available or in production for the iPhone?

Thank you!

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
Like I said over on CrackBerry, check out netter's anatomy. Super cool.

Epocrates is really cool too. iPhone has quite the potential for medical applications.

I have had both Blackberry and iPhone and I would go with iPhone, more chance of medical application for iphone than with BlackBerry. Plus with iphone you can access medical websites and view them the way they are supposed to be formatted.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm new to iphone. I've had a Blackberry for the past 4 years and i think in your case for the battery life the Blackberry would be the best route to take but that's it. The iphone would work better for everything else.

WilliamC

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm new to iphone. I've had a Blackberry for the past 4 years and i think in your case for the battery life the Blackberry would be the best route to take but that's it. The iphone would work better for everything else.

You can't judge the Bold based on previous BB devices battery life. The Bold is a 3G device so it will drain more power than edge. At the moment until the device is out for at least a week, we really won't know if the device will fair better or worse than the Iphone. To date all 3G devices don't last much.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
You can't judge the Bold based on previous BB devices battery life. The Bold is a 3G device so it will drain more power than edge. At the moment until the device is out for at least a week, we really won't know if the device will fair better or worse than the Iphone. To date all 3G devices don't last much.

With the bold, can you turn off 3G like the iPhone and save battery?

dcharles

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
What year are you in? If haven't gotten through gross yet the Netters apps are nice, though for the price you can purchase the entire set of cards (although they will not fit in your pocket). There is a new pt tracking/EMR app out that would be alot nicer than using notecards while on rotations, although you had better not let your battery run down when it is time to present. If you are looking at using your phone as a PB as well then you might want to consider WM, much easier to sync and organize notes and documents with than either BB or iPhone.

chetanvedvyas

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the responses everyone! I feel as though I might be leaning towards the Bold...

dcharles: I am done with my first year and, thankfully, anatomy.

Can you tell me about EMR on the iPhone?

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
congrats on getting through gross! that's definitely the killer ;) I couldn't wait to toss all my scrubs and the formaldehyde smell still burned my nostrils for the next week afterwards.

Although the Bold has an excellent screen, it still can't touch the iPhone's for real estate and physical interaction (pun intended :p). Wait until the Bold comes out, see how battery life goes with and without 3G. If you want a physical keyboard, it's your only option. If you can adapt to the virtual (and I have) then I love my iPhone personally!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner