Is it safe to update my iPhone yet?

mjchaelangelo

Jul 14, 2008
www.bio-allergenix.com
I have the older, twice as slow, twice the price model. Is it safe to go into the water with the 2.0 update, yet, or is it still gobbling up hapless swimmers like the girl in the opening of Jaws? Any experiential guidance available (as opposed to theoretical or anecdotal)? Can't afford to brick my own phone - never have toyed with it - still all original - 'cause I never wanted to take that chance. Still don't. Any answers?

Feel free to respond privately, if you prefer, for any reason.

No death threats, please.

Meh_whatever

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
My son got that message on his iPhone several days ago BEFORE the software update.

I don't think it's bricked. He thought his was bricked, but alas, it was not, and he's now on 2.0, and merrily using it today.

Try it again.

If it is indeed bricked, what's the worst that can happen?

(Breathe into a paper bag if needed, don't pass out).

:)

mjchaelangelo

Jul 14, 2008
www.bio-allergenix.com
ok = define "Bricked"

The first time I tried to update, it started to go through the update process, but stopped and said "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)."

When I started over, it said, "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this phone before it can be used with iTunes."

I've been through this process 3 times so far. What's the magic number?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The first time I tried to update, it started to go through the update process, but stopped and said "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)."

When I started over, it said, "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this phone before it can be used with iTunes."

I've been through this process 3 times so far. What's the magic number?

You have not done any sort of hacking prior to this have you? If it continues you just have really bad luck... Call Apple.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone who has succesfully updated their 1st gen iphone to 2.0 software post July 11th, using the normal itunes updater, please post the exact rev of the software? I have not had much luck with responses to my other thread. http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/apple-iphone/166040-proper-version-2-0-software-iphone-1st-gen.html

I updated Thursday night, the 10th, using that downlaodable file. My version is 2.0 (5A347) and I'm wondering if that is the correct one. Thanks for any help.

mjchaelangelo

Jul 14, 2008
www.bio-allergenix.com
I have NOT, and would NOT take it upon myself to hack into a $400 phone. I want the (@#$^ thing to work - AT LEAST as a phone, even if NOT as the fancischmanciest gizmet to come along in decades. It's a (#$^) expensive paperweight.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Can anyone who has succesfully updated their 1st gen iphone to 2.0 software post July 11th, using the normal itunes updater, please post the exact rev of the software? I have not had much luck with responses to my other thread. http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/apple-iphone/166040-proper-version-2-0-software-iphone-1st-gen.html

I updated Thursday night, the 10th, using that downlaodable file. My version is 2.0 (5A347) and I'm wondering if that is the correct one. Thanks for any help.

Yes that is the updated firmware. {5A347}

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have NOT, and would NOT take it upon myself to hack into a $400 phone. I want the (@#$^ thing to work - AT LEAST as a phone, even if NOT as the fancischmanciest gizmet to come along in decades. It's a (#$^) expensive paperweight.

Call Apple then. They will be able to help you. Good luck!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2