iPhone Tips and Tricks Thread

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Post all of your tips and tricks regarding the iPhone here!

*** THIS WAS POSTED BY HERMDOG AND I ACCIDENTLY REMOVED HIS POST. SO CREDIT TO HIM FOR THIS TIP***

Not sure if ya'll no this or not but check it out. From iPhone 101: Hold your ".com" button for a second - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

If you are running the new 2.0 firmware on your iPhone or iPod touch, you might not have noticed a new handy shortcut in Safari.
When you type in your address, hold down the ".com" button to get a selection of 3 other domain name endings: ".net," ".edu," and ".org." When you tap on any of the endings, it will be automatically inserted in the address bar.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Here are some tips for some of you who are new to the iPhone.

1. If you tap once at the very top of the screen when you are on the internet, it will take you back to the top of the window rather than having to scroll all the way back up. This comes in handy.

***This ^^^ can also be done with emails in 2.0. Tap the top by the time and it brings you back to the top of the email list or the begining of a email.

2. Rather than posting the full address of internet sites in bookmarks, you can post the equivalent RSS address instead into Apple's RSS reader and save that as your bookmark. This way you can quickly see if there's anything interesting on your favorite site rather than downloading the whole homepage.

3. If you are writing something and the iPhone flags a word as misspelled that you know is not misspelled, cancel the correction 3 times and the word will be put into the dictionary.

4. The magnifying glass is a nice iPhone tool when you are typing an email or any other text. If you tap once and hold, a magnifying glass will pop up showing you a zoomed in view of your words and cursor. You can now easily place the cursor wherever you want. Easiest way to make edit your text.

Last edited:

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Here's a tip:

- In Safari when you are typing a web address. If you press and hold the .com button on the bottom of the keyboard for 2 secs a balloon with pop with .net, .edu, .org. Slide your finger across to select one of them.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Here's a tip:

- In Safari when you are typing a web address. If you press and hold the .com button on the bottom of the keyboard for 2 secs a balloon with pop with .net, .edu, .org. Slide your finger across to select one of them.

Read the first post in the thread. :)

That's worth repeating I guess. :p

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I don't know if it applies to the original iphone or not. But if you hit the space bar twice at the end of a sentence and it will place a period and one space. (I found this by accident....and it is very useful.)

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Tips and Tricks

I thought there was a tips a tricks thread for the 3G but can't find it anywhere. Anyways I found out something when typing. Instead of hitting the key for the period button instead at the end of a sentence if you hit the space bar twice it inserts a period.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
while entering a URL into safari... holding the ".COM" button will then display the other endings: .ORG .NET ....

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
A GREAT tip for playing music while using some of your favorite apps...

I don't know if this is common knowledge but I found out that if you're listening to your iPod and launch a game (not all games work this way), double-tap the Home button and a mini-control display will come up and it will give you the option to click "Play" to continue playing once the app has loaded. I tested this on Enigmo and Chopper and both worked. The timing is the only variable really. If you press it too soon it won't prompt you or if it's too late I think it automatically gets overwritten by the in-game music. I was bummed that I couldn't get it work on Aurora Feint or Crash Nitro Kart but I'm sure there are plenty others that do support this feature.

I didn't bother to search because I was so excited about this finding. If it's old news, please disregard and don't be too harsh. I just wanted to share my excitement!

Edit: Apparently Enigmo already supported iPod use in the background but I did double-check Chopper and it does not normally let you play the iPod but using the trick I posted above will allow you to override that.

Last edited:

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Tip: Dropped Calls from 2G to 3G

Here is a CNET Article about fluctuating signal and dropped calls:

iPhone 3G network issues frustrating early adopters | One More Thing - CNET News.com

There are 100's of complaints on Apple.com Forums of this happening to people. (In fact the first thread Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 3G Reception Problems? You're ...got so long that Apple Mods had to lock the first forum and start a new forum Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 3G Reception Problems? You're ... as it became so large people were having problems with their browsers timing out. These are not the only two threads on this issue.)

Apple's official response from their forums????? TURN OFF 3G!!!! I find that absurd as we are paying $15 more a month than those with 2G phones for the same service. Also, when I am on a call I can no longer access data since only 3G can do this. I have found myself needing this occasionally.

Found out that 2.0.1 does not fix this problem.

If you are planning on exchanging your phone due to dropped calls follow this advice:

DO NOT turn off 3G... rack up as many dropped calls as possible... don't change your behavior (like changing routes on your way to work because you drop calls on a certain street).

Reason: Apple will not exchange your phone if you do not have a significant amount of dropped calls... and they know if you are lying. When you go to the Apple store they plug your iPhone into a Mac and use behavior analysis software which reports your number of dropped calls and give a % of dropped calls to non dropped calls.

There have been reports on the Apple forum that later made iPhones do not have this problem... they come in a white box and not in original packaging.
I am going to have to keep 3G on to make my percentage higher as I have been complacently using 2G for nearly all my calls lately and see if a new(er) iPhone will fix my problems.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
There have been reports on the Apple forum that later made iPhones do not have this problem... they come in a white box and not in original packaging.
I had to get my original iPhone 3g replaced with a new one and it came in a white box, but I believe the white box is just for replacement phones. All new purchase iPhones still come in the original box.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner