Proper version of 2.0 software for iPhone (1st gen)?

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
I know there was some confusion for people who upgraded their iphone 1st gen software to 2.0 on Thursday. There was a blurb about it on the blog (That Leaked iPhone 2.0 Firmware Update? It’s Buggy | The iPhone Blog) Friday morning that the released software on Thursday may have been meant for the 3G version and it may cause problems. What is the current version of the 2.0 software that should be used for the iphone 1st gen? Thursday's version was 2.0 (5A347). Is this the correct 2.0 software for 1st gen? Thanks.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I know there was some confusion for people who upgraded their iphone 1st gen software to 2.0 on Thursday. There was a blurb about it on the blog (That Leaked iPhone 2.0 Firmware Update? It?s Buggy | The iPhone Blog) Friday morning that the released software on Thursday may have been meant for the 3G version and it may cause problems. What is the current version of the 2.0 software that should be used for the iphone 1st gen? Thursday's version was 2.0 (5A347). Is this the correct 2.0 software for 1st gen? Thanks.

That is the current version yes.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
That is the current version yes.
Hmm I think it's the right version number but the leaked one was for the iPhone 3G not the original. They have different file sizes. You can find a post on macrumors.com about it as well as a link to download it under the iPhone section it was posted on the 11th I would include a link but apple didn't include cut & paste so blame them not me ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmm I think it's the right version number but the leaked one was for the iPhone 3G not the original. They have different file sizes. You can find a post on macrumors.com about it as well as a link to download it under the iPhone section it was posted on the 11th I would include a link but apple didn't include cut & paste so blame them not me ;)

I think you are right... but at the same time I restored my phone and it did download it directly from Apple via iTunes... so that does not seem right then?

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm actually running both of them one on my phone one on my wifes just to see if there are any differences I'll post my findings.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was correct in saying the 5A347 is the newest. Even though it was leaked the day before. If you update now you get it.

"The 5A347 firmware in question is the same firmware that was leaked a day early and installed on many of our original iPhones. The firmware comes from Apple and is intended for iPhone 3G use only. (Although this makes no sense since I updated a original iPhone and it put the same firmware on that)

This firmware is still available, but only when you click on "Restore" in iTunes. The actual iPhone 3G ships with 5A345 firmware which is not upgraded automatically to 5A347. However, upon restore, iTunes pulls this newer firmware and uses it.

Ars warns that the upgrade will take at least 30 minutes."

And don't bother with just doing this for the yellowish screen. It does not make a difference.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
OK, thanks. So I should be able to restore my first gen phone to the 1.1.4 version (or whatever the previous one was) and then update it normally through itunes. I have the early Thursday version, although I havent seen many issues. I have had 1 or 2 unrequested reboots, but I am not sure if that was caused by a faulty app or similar. Thanks, Ill give it a try.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2