Multiple "From" addresses

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has a solution for this problem. I use GMail for all my email. I like being able to find everything in one place. Therefore, I redirect multiple email addresses to my GMail account. Then in GMail, I use their "Send mail as" feature to send mail.

All in all, I'd like to know if I could send mail from multiple addresses under a single account on the iPhone. I know you can do this in Mail.app, but when you sync it with your iPhone, it doesn't sync the settings correctly.

Thanks for your help.

rdepom

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
It is possible...

Must be new in 2.0, because I just discovered that this does in fact work. Set up an account in Mail.app on your Mac, and enter multiple addresses separated by commas in the field for your email address. Force a re-sync of mail accounts on your iPhone, and from then on you can choose. The "CC" line in new mail pages is replaced by "From, CC, BCC" and when you tap on that it expands to 3 separate fields. The From field activated a list selector for the addresses you entered.

Have fun :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Must be new in 2.0, because I just discovered that this does in fact work. Set up an account in Mail.app on your Mac, and enter multiple addresses separated by commas in the field for your email address. Force a re-sync of mail accounts on your iPhone, and from then on you can choose. The "CC" line in new mail pages is replaced by "From, CC, BCC" and when you tap on that it expands to 3 separate fields. The From field activated a list selector for the addresses you entered.

I'm not 100% certain that is what he is looking for. All that does is select what mail account you want the outgoing message to be delivered by. You can only select one account no? Maybe I'm wrong.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I actually use this in Mail.app on my MacBookPro - it does indeed work there. Hven't tried on the iPhone yet...

mqt

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm not 100% certain that is what he is looking for. All that does is select what mail account you want the outgoing message to be delivered by. You can only select one account no? Maybe I'm wrong.

That's exactly what he's looking for. The email RFC standards do not allow you to specify multiple "from" addresses at the same time.

mqt

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site

Good find.

Any idea how I can do this using only the iPhone software? Do the alternate addresses show up somewhere in the account settings?

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com

OK, I have tried this multiple times and can't get it working. Let me make sure I'm understanding the steps:

1. My account on my Mac (a MobileMe account) in prefs/Account/Account information/ Email Address has all my aliases separated by commas.

2. Not sure what you mean by forcing a re-sync of the mail account on the phone, but I deleted and recreated my account on the phone. I figure that should be good enough.

3. In Mail on the phone, when I create a new message the CC line still only expands to CC/BCC.

I have an iPhone 3G with FW 5A345. Thanks for any advice. I separate my various mail by aliases and really need to be able to reply from specific addresses.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
OK, I have tried this multiple times and can't get it working. Let me make sure I'm understanding the steps:

1. My account on my Mac (a MobileMe account) in prefs/Account/Account information/ Email Address has all my aliases separated by commas.

2. Not sure what you mean by forcing a re-sync of the mail account on the phone, but I deleted and recreated my account on the phone. I figure that should be good enough.

3. In Mail on the phone, when I create a new message the CC line still only expands to CC/BCC.

I have an iPhone 3G with FW 5A345. Thanks for any advice. I separate my various mail by aliases and really need to be able to reply from specific addresses.

Update to the latest firmware if you can. You are a version behind.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I am now using the latest (jailbroken) firmware, and it still doesn't work for me. Are my steps above correct?

Do you have accounts setup -- on the phone -- for all those aliases? It can only send through an alias's server if the account is on the phone.

Also, you don't need to enter all those aliases in the "email address" field. So it could be that. If you have the accounts setup on your phone, when you tap CC and it expands, attempting to fill in the "From:" area brings up a list of selectable addresses. I would enter my most commonly used alias in the "email address" field, because then, by default, the "From:" field have that address entered(yet retain the ability to select others).

I hope this all makes sense. Your problem is one of these two things, or both; if not, let me know.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Do you have accounts setup -- on the phone -- for all those aliases? It can only send through an alias's server if the account is on the phone.

Also, you don't need to enter all those aliases in the "email address" field. So it could be that. If you have the accounts setup on your phone, when you tap CC and it expands, attempting to fill in the "From:" area brings up a list of selectable addresses. I would enter my most commonly used alias in the "email address" field, because then, by default, the "From:" field have that address entered(yet retain the ability to select others).

I hope this all makes sense. Your problem is one of these two things, or both; if not, let me know.
Well I've gotten it working, sort of. I found that it would not recognize it when I attempted to create it as a new MobileMe account -- I had to use the "Other" template and put everything in manually. However, I have four aliases on my MobileMe account: the primary, which is entered on the phone as a MobileMe account, the second, which I entered manually, and when I entered the third, suddenly the second account became a clone of the third, as though it wouldn't accept more than one account with the same authentication info even though they are different email addresses. So at most I appear to be able to use my primary and one alias.

At any rate, I think Mail should be better able to detect that I have aliases on my MobileMe account and add them to the "From" line on my primary account. Hopefully in 2.1...

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Well I've gotten it working, sort of. I found that it would not recognize it when I attempted to create it as a new MobileMe account -- I had to use the "Other" template and put everything in manually. However, I have four aliases on my MobileMe account: the primary, which is entered on the phone as a MobileMe account, the second, which I entered manually, and when I entered the third, suddenly the second account became a clone of the third, as though it wouldn't accept more than one account with the same authentication info even though they are different email addresses. So at most I appear to be able to use my primary and one alias.

At any rate, I think Mail should be better able to detect that I have aliases on my MobileMe account and add them to the "From" line on my primary account. Hopefully in 2.1...

I don't have MobileMe so I don't know how it works. Congratulations on getting it working though!

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I just set this up for myself with about 15 different addresses (I use a lot of aliases on my personal account).

What I did was:
  1. Deleted my old IMAP account on both my iPhone and my MacbookPro and synced iPhone to Mac (I don't know how that would work with POP3, but IMAP means everything's on the server).
  2. After confirming account was removed, I re-added it to Mail.app and included a comma-separated list of the different addresses I wanted to include in the "From" field
  3. Re-synced iPhone, making sure to set it to sync mail accounts
  4. Voila. 15 different email addresses.

Now, the caveats.

• I use a 3rd-party SMTP server named Fastmail.fm - they allow me to use multiple from addresses. The Cingular SMTP may allow this too - Verizon used to do so (assumption is that they can figure out if you're spamming since the login info is your phone #)
  • I have no idea how this would work on a PC or with POP3
  • You could do this much more simply if only we had access to the comma button while editing the "From:" field in the account preferences on the iPhone

Just wanted to give a heads-up that this does indeed work!

tco2487

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
Multiple From Addresses with one IMAP Mailbox

Here's how I was able to set up mail accounts on the iPhone for the case of one mailbox known by multiple email aliases. My service is not with one of the blessed email providers.

(Note that each "at" in the email addresses below should be converted to @.)

Let's say I have two email addresses:

1) "My Name" <me "at" example.com>
2) "My Alias" <alias "at" example.com>

and I receive email using IMAP over SSL from port 993 of mail.example.com and I send using SMTP over SSL to port 465 of mail.example.com. My credentials with mail.example.com are, say, user=me and password=mypw.

Here's what I did:

* Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account...
* Choose Other and enter the following:
Name: My Name
Address: me "at" example.com
Password: mypw
Description: example.com <- This is used as the account name.​
* Click Save and enter the following:
Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: mail.example.com
User Name: me
Outgoing Mail Server
Host Name: mail.example.com
User Name: me
* Click Save and the IMAP account information is verified.
* Choose the example.com account. Choose SMTP and then the primary server. Make sure the Server and Use SSL are ON. Authentication for my case is Password and Server Port should be 465.
* Go back twice and choose Advanced at the bottom. Ensure that Use SSL is ON and Server Port is 993. For my case, Authentication is Password and IMAP Path Prefix is /.
* Go back twice and choose Add Account...
* Choose Other and enter the following
Name: My Alias
Address: alias "at" example.com
Description: Alias <- This is used as the account name.
* Click Save and enter the following
Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: localhost
User Name: anything <- We'll change this later.
Password: anything <- We'll change this later.
Outgoing Mail Server
Host Name: smtp1.example.com <- Enter this exactly.
User Name: x
Password: x
* Click Save
* You will be asked, "Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?" Choose No.
* You will be asked, "This account may not be able to send or receive emails. Are you sure you want to save?" Choose Save.
* Choose the Alias account.
* Erase the entries for the Incoming Mail Server User Name and Password.
* Choose SMTP and then the primary server. Set this server to OFF. Go back and set the server for mail.example.com to ON. Note that we can't delete this unwanted server because it is the primary server. I can't find a way to change which is primary.

The biggest problems have been with the SMTP servers. One time, I unexpectedly found that a server had been set to No Server. Other times, the server would be immediately reset to ON just after I set it to OFF.

All incoming email should now be received into the INBOX of me "at" example.com. You should also be able to create email using both me "at" example.com and alias "at" example.com as From addresses.