Why are used Iphones still so expensive?

Ana#IM

Jul 12, 2008
Visit site
I was hoping that once the Iphone 3G came out for 200$ the used iphones would drop in price... but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Why would anyone buy a used, old version for more than 200$ when they could get a new better version for less?

My Iphone was stolen a few months back and I can't really afford a new one... but I was hoping that once the G3 came out my luck might change!

Does anyone have any advice? Or could someone at least shed some light on my confusion!

Thanks!
Ana

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
the reason they are so expensive is because people with carriers such as tmobile can not use the 3g iphone. And you can't buy the first gen at stores... So they are in high demand.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Ana,
I would try calling AT&T customer service and/or go into a store and see if you can get a 3G for $199 because it was stolen. If the person says no... try calling back... and again... and again.

If that doesn't work (or you may want to try this first) you should check with the credit card company you bought your iPhone with (assuming you used a credit card) to see if it is covered under theft protection.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The simple answer is because it is easy to unlock and jailbreak a 1.1.4 1st gen iPhone.

There is no publicly available unlock for the iPhone 3G yet, and besides, the iPhone 3G's 3G radio won't work on T-Mobile. This makes the first gen iPhone the iPhone of choice for people that want to unlock.

I knew it would happen like this, and I even posted about it. People called me crazy...

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Even AT&T's 3G is not in all areas. So for some the 2nd gen doesn't give you much benefit. Also, not all people are eligible for the $199.00 (8GB)/$299.00 (16GB) (this price seems to be left out of price discussions alot) price.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner