Yahoo Calendar Sync...now?!

brightcell

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
Has the Yahoo Calendar sync been added in the new iTunes??

Apple - iTunes - Syncing - iPhone

"Sync calendars and contacts.
iTunes makes address book syncing one-click simple: Choose individual groups or choose ?all contacts? to keep your entire contacts list with you wherever you go. iTunes also syncs your calendar events from Yahoo! Calendars on a Mac or PC, iCal or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook on a PC. Any new calendar events and contacts sync back to your computer the next time you sync your iPhone"

That would be awesome!

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Sync with Yahoo! Calendar (?)

Well I tried to post this on the Apple help site but to no avail (wow Apple is buggy right now)... so I am hoping someone else can help me on this one:

According to Apple's website: Apple - iPhone - Features - Calendar

When you sync your iPhone with your computer, the events you?ve created on the go sync back to Yahoo! Calendars on a Mac or PC, Microsoft Outlook on a PC, and iCal or Entourage on a Mac. And all the events you?ve added on your computer sync to your iPhone.

However, when you click the "Learn More" link this is what it says:

iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer ? iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC ? just as it does with your contacts. If you don?t already use one of these applications to manage your appointments, now is a great time to start, so you?ll be ready to sync when your iPhone arrives. If you choose not to use a calendar program, that?s OK. You?ll be able to enter appointments directly into the iPhone calendar.

Also the 3G manual says nothing about being able to sync with Yahoo! Calendars. So the question is, can you... or can't you? If so, how?

YCaltoiPhone

Aug 29, 2008
Visit site
I don't know why, but this advertised feature on the iPhone is still not available. Its been killing me as I have been waiting for a solution.

I have been researching this for months and haven't been able to find any solution on the web for how to sync Yahoo calendar to the iPhone on a Mac. FYI, on a PC, it is pretty easy - download Yahoo Autosync, sync to local copy of Outlook, and from there to your iPhone. After testing different things out for hours, I figure out a pretty ugly solution, but one that works. Figured others might find it useful.

For it to work on the Mac, you need to get your Yahoo calendar to iCal. Unfortunately, there is no way to do it directly or through a single intermediate step. FYI, the web docs that say Plaxo works are not right - as of right now, it does not sync Yahoo calendar.

So here is the ugly solution: I am running a virtual copy of windows xp on my mac, which I leave open. On this, I have Outlook installed and Yahoo Autosync. This gives me a local copy of the calendar. Then I install Google Calendar sync. This takes the local calendar to Google calendar. From there, I bought Spanning Sync (free to try; $25 for a one year subscription), which syncs Google calendar to iCal. Then from the iCal to the iPhone. You need to make sure that all syncs are set up as two-way syncs.

Another note - Google calendar now has two way direct sync for free to iCal, but it doesnt let you do two way sync from iCal to iPhone on that calendar. Meaning, if you input calendar entries on the iPhone, they wont end up on Google calendar.

I recommend backing up your Yahoo calendar to a CSV file first. However, all the sync apps are good about alerting you if they are about to do something you dont want (like deleting all your calendar entries). It took a while to figure out all the syncing, but have had running for a couple days now and it seems to work. It also seems to retain repeating events, etc. in original setups (as opposed to turning repeating events into multiple separate entries). The best starting setup is to have only a Yahoo calendar and everything else blank (or deleted). Also, make sure your time zones are all set to the same one (caused me a bunch of headaches). Then sync to outlook, then to Google calendar, then to iCal, then to the iPhone.

The only software I had to buy for this was Spanning Sync. I already had Parallels (for the virtual Windows xp) and Outlook. Yahoo Autosync, Google Calendar Sync and, of course, iCal and iTunes are free. Spanning Sync is free for 15 days, so you can test it out first to see if it works. If you do end up buying, I would appreciate you using my referral code: 8E3XP3. It will get you $5 off and give me $5 as well. Would help me recover from the countless hours I have invested to figure this out...

Look, I know this may sound like a crazy solution on paper, but it actually works and it isnt really that hard to set up. If you are like me and absolutely NEED a solution, try it out!

akeyser

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Yahoo Calendar works with iphone and ipod touch

Here is how you sync your iphone or ipod touch with yahoo calendars!

Go to this link agree terms to share your yahoo calendar.

switch.calendar.yahoo.com

great now go to your iphone 3.0 os setting icon and select. Then choose mail, contacts, calendars and then add account. Next choose "Other" and then choose add CalDAV account. For server use caldav.calendar.yahoo.com and the use your yahoo user name and password! Your calendar will now show up on your iphone or ipod.

Shuckster

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I killed my iphone a while back and will be getting a new one at the end of July.

I was using Yahoo Mail Contacts for Contacts and my Outlook on my laptop for my calendar.

Is there an easier way?? Can I use Yahoo Calander and Contacts??

Is there a better syncing system out there?? I don't have outlook on my PC.

Thanks for any help..

brightcell

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
I killed my iphone a while back and will be getting a new one at the end of July.

I was using Yahoo Mail Contacts for Contacts and my Outlook on my laptop for my calendar.

Is there an easier way?? Can I use Yahoo Calander and Contacts??

Is there a better syncing system out there?? I don't have outlook on my PC.

Thanks for any help..

If you follow the link I posted or the instructions posted previously, you can definitely sync your Yahoo Calendar with your iphone with using your PC.
Regarding synching Yahoo Contacts, over the air, I don't think that Yahoo supports LDAP protocol right now but here is an interesting article about it:
iPhone 3.0 from a corporate point of view by Macworld.com: Yahoo! Tech

Last edited:

k-bear

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Here is how you sync your iphone or ipod touch with yahoo calendars!

Go to this link agree terms to share your yahoo calendar.

switch.calendar.yahoo.com

great now go to your iphone 3.0 os setting icon and select. Then choose mail, contacts, calendars and then add account. Next choose "Other" and then choose add CalDAV account. For server use caldav.calendar.yahoo.com and the use your yahoo user name and password! Your calendar will now show up on your iphone or ipod.
I followed these directions but I get the error message "Cannot connect using SSL".

What is wrong? If I hit continue (to connect without using SSL), it says the CalDAV account verification failed.

I entered my username and password correctly. Am I just missing something?

brightcell

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
I had the same problem once. I think it's on Yahoo's side because I tried again later and everything was fine.
Just delete the settings and keep trying entering them again.

jmjbm

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Syncing back from iphone calender to yahoo possible??

Your instructions were great at linking my yahoo calendar to my iphone. I am wondering if there is any way yet to sync my iphone calendar BACK to yahoo calendar?

Soulsiphonelover

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Hey akeyser........

You have to go to switch.calendar.yahoo.com and check agree to terms first to give yahoo permission to sync, then repeat the steps on your iphone and it should work then. Hope that helps :)

TahoeTR

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've got my iPhone and Yahoo calendar syncing. However, I cannot figure out how to get it to sync with iCal and Entourage on my Mac.

TahoeTR

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have OS 10.5.8. I've setup the Yahoo account like you mentioned. It says, "availability is not supported on the server for this account." What does that mean?

brightcell

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
Weird.
Did you choose "Yahoo" in "account type" when setting it up in iCal?
The server address should be: caldav.calendar.yahoo.com
and the server path: /principals/users/yourusername/

I have a free Yahoo account. You don't have to pay anything to Yahoo.
One thing maybe, you need to upgrade your Yahoo Calendar to beta.
It's explained here:
Can I sync with Apple iCal? | Yahoo! Calendar Help

Good luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2