A review of the 3G

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Found this on another site.

Apple Insider highlights three reviews of the iPhone 3G from the Wall Street Journal, USA Today and the NY Times.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._ny_times.html

Here are some highlights:

"Walt Mossberg | The Wall Street Journal
iPhone 3G "is much, much faster at fetching data over cellphone networks" than the original version.

"Surfing the net was typically between three and five times as fast on AT&T's 3G network. In Washington and New York, 3G speeds ranged between 200 and 500 kilobits per second compared to 70 and 150 kbps on EDGE.

"With 3G enabled, the iPhone 3G's battery drained much more quickly in a typical day of use than the battery on the original iPhone.

"Apple has greatly improved the iPhone's audio. The built in speaker is much louder for music and speakerphone conversations, but the phone produced an echo when used with the built-in Bluetooth system in Walt's car.

"Exchange ActiveSync works well and setup takes just minutes. Any changes made on the iPhone are reflected instantly in Microsoft Outlook. Email is also pushed to the phone instantly.

"A side benefit to 3G coverage is that it improves voice coverage: "At my neighborhood shopping center, where the first iPhone got little or no AT&T service, the iPhone 3G registered strong coverage."

"Edward Baig | USA Today
"No equal among consumer-oriented smartphones."

"Baig's corporate data (through Exchange) was a "relative cinch" to setup and works well.

"Most websites take 10 to 30 seconds to load through 3G, which is a lot faster than on EDGE (which often takes an extra 30 seconds or more).

"The phone feels "perfectly comfortable" in the hand courtesy of the plastic back.

"Apple confirms that the plastic should improve reception versus the original's aluminum.

"The journalist is "impressed" by the accuracy of GPS, but says the phone begs for voiced turn-by-turn directions.

"Audio quality is better overall, particularly the speakerphone; headphones are of course still better.

"Parental controls actually remove icons outright from the home screen; they don't just block access.

"You'll still want to charge the phone about once a day if used regularly.

"Old iPod accessories meant to charge over Firewire circuitry (such as a Belkin car kit) don't work; iPhone 3G still only recognizes USB.

"Overall: an "enthusiastic thumbs up."

"David Pogue | The New York Times
"The "gracefully curved" back feels better in the hand than the original iPhone.

"Call quality takes a "gigantic leap forward" and is "crystal clear" on either end of the call; few other phones rival it.

"Apple: the GPS receiver's antenna is too small to replicate turn-by-turn navigation of a full unit.

"Examples of third-party apps: iCall for VoIP calls over Wi-Fi, G-Park for position-based parking, and Urbanspoon for picking a random nearby restaurant by sharing the phone."

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
totally random.. you didn't close one quote (excluding terms) in that whole post.

back on topic.
yea, the main complaint i have seen throughout the reviews is the battery, but i plan on doing things like turning down the brightness of the screen to increase battery time. but otherwise, my current phone barely makes it through a day, so it won't be anything new.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
totally random.. you didn't close one quote (excluding terms) in that whole post.

back on topic.
yea, the main complaint i have seen throughout the reviews is the battery, but i plan on doing things like turning down the brightness of the screen to increase battery time. but otherwise, my current phone barely makes it through a day, so it won't be anything new.

I did not write it. I found it on another site and thought I would share. Blame the other guy for his writing skills.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
i am so excited to get my first iphone, the reviews seem to be for the most part positive
i know! i am so excited. i am trying to think of things to do to make the days go faster.. all i have thought of is sleep, so i have been taking naps mid-day.
ahh!!!

I did not write it. I found it on another site and thought I would share. Blame the other guy for his writing skills.

haha ok, ok:p

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
"Parental controls actually remove icons outright from the home screen; they don't just block access.

Ah, ok thanks 3Guser I was wondering how parental controls worked.

Sinistar

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
"Apple: the GPS receiver's antenna is too small to replicate turn-by-turn navigation of a full unit.

I'm lost on this. Does this mean 3G iPhones GPS hardware is inferior compared to say...Blackberrys, Sprint Instincts, and others out there?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site

I'm lost on this. Does this mean 3G iPhones GPS hardware is inferior compared to say...Blackberrys, Sprint Instincts, and others out there?
Me too - I mean my Freedom GPS is a 1.8" x1.2" package, weighs less than an ounce, and is sensitive enough to remain in my pocket (even in the car!) while it feeds GPS information via bluetooth to my WM Smartphone. That small size includes a GPS receiver, a 10-hour battery, a physical switch and indicator LEDs, a BT 2.0 radio and an antenna that is apparently WAY BIGGER than the iPhone's because I can do turn-by-turn navigation with it. :eek:

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I believe the GPS radio on my BB Curve is always on when I am using navigation. The AGPS radio on the iPhone turns itself on only briefly to get a lock on position then off to save battery, which I am guessing is why it cannot support turn by turn navigation.

I also heard/read that Apple specifically stated in the TOS of the SDK that no apps can be developed for the iPhone to support turn by turn navigational instructions. Originally I thought it is because Apple has their own fee based navigational app brewing for future release and they didn't want any developer interference.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No problem! I am getting more and more excited!
i know, isn't everyone!:D
I also heard/read that Apple specifically stated in the TOS of the SDK that no apps can be developed for the iPhone to support turn by turn navigational instructions. Originally I thought it is because Apple has their own fee based navigational app brewing for future release and they didn't want any developer interference.

it has been rumored that at&t has been developing their own turn x turn directions. i actually think it was mentioned in the last podcast.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro