Madness is starting already!!

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Waiting in line for the new iPhone 3G

Hi everyone,
Since the iPhone 3G is coming out in less than 2 weeks I was just wondering what everyone's game plan is when it comes to where their going to get their iPhone and how long it will take to get it. As for the previous iPhone, I never waited in line to get mine and was just wondering how long it usually takes when your there the first day.

Also if you were the few that waited in line for the first iPhone, do you have any crazy stories to share with everyone about your experience?

Thanks and can't wait to hear your gameplans and stories :)

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
That is hilarious. That would b very frustrating. I can see waiting out there for a day, but a week is over kill.

marys

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe it. I don't really think it's true. Maybe they were paid :D
I think it's time some of you reconsider your staying in line strategies :p

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I don't see how anyone could take a week off from practically anything and everything (work/school/life?) with no consequences or consideration of the fact that it's COMPLETELY unnecessary.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If this is indeed true it is pretty sad... but I figure in major Apple stores like the New York store you will see people camping out. Probably a hour away you can walk into a At&t store and walk right out on July 11th.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
And yet this is probably the least strange thing going on in NYC right now... our forefathers would be proud. ;)

ETA: Maybe this is the strangest thing going on in New York... I posted the above statment without watching the video clip. Hmmm... 6 Billion people to sign a petition. Good luck with that Captain. Considering that is almost the population of the world you will have to have infants sign, hunt down small African tribes to get their signature in goat's blood, break into the world's prisons, etc.
I must admit though... I love the loonies.

As for the person who said that Apple must be paying these people.. I highly doubt it. I don't think this guy (who is chewing with his mouth open and spewing bits of apple and political bizarrities) is the face Apple wants to portray as various news agencies check in with him for a week.

Last edited:

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Man, I can't believe anybody would do this. Won't it be the same phone if they wait a week or a month?!? Like lemmings.

Billsteve

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
the camping out part is one of my most favorite part. a week is a little silly, but am i the only one that loves to camp out that night?

michi_love

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I mean, I thought I was a pathetically obsessed with this phone - they take the cake! I was thinking, since the NYC is a flagship store, wouldn't they be the best at being IN-STOCK? I'd be mad if I waited that long and found out I could've waited like a day or two later and had on in my hands. But I guess they HAVE TO BE THE FIRST ONES to have it. I hate to sound harsh, but do they not have jobs? How can they afford an iPhone? Unless it's actually the opposite and they're filthy rich or retired or something like that.

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
the camping out part is one of my most favorite part. a week is a little silly, but am i the only one that loves to camp out that night?

OK, so my take on this is that 24 hours is too long for me, but I dont think it is obsurd. one week definitely falls into the "what the heck are you thinking" category. I plan on 6 to 8 hour advance wait, but I do live in a Chicago suburb where I would not expect the same sort of traffic as if I were in the CHicago Loop or NYC.

Billsteve

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
yeah i meant getting a tent and a 12 pack of beer and heading out at about 10. i mean they have should have ton of them... i just like camping out.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's a bogus line...

The story was updated:UPDATE:
“This is the first line forming for the 3G iPhone at the flagship Apple 5th Avenue Store in New York City. About 10 people in line with the first two being a man and woman with a young child. I talked to the security guards and New York police who will allow everyone to stay and indicated that as of yet there are no plans to put out barricades. It appears that most (if not all) of the people in line are part of some group who may be either attempting to set a record for waiting in line or gain some publicity for themselves. It’s too early to tell if this is a hoax or whether these folks will stay in line through sun and rain for the next seven days”.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
Real or not, these people are idiots. Yes, the iPhone 3G will be amazing and worth the wait. But waiting outside for an entire week for it? Just plain stupidity. There's no reason for it. I can see some true fans who are a bit overzealous getting in line the day before, but not 7 days out.