Chance for Apple to set record?

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

Until the recent launch of Firefox 3, no record existed for maximum downloads of a software package. I don't remember the final number, but think it was close to either 6 or 8 million. What with both the 2G and 3G iPhones (not counting 3G iPhone owners, but those 2G iPhone owners who don't upgrade), as well as the iPod touch all able to use iPhone Firmware 2.0, I think Apple has an extremely good shot at smashing Firefox's record. Am I just full of it, or does anyone else think Apple has a chance to set yet another record?

HawaiiMacAddict

Last edited:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Well the iPhone 3G already comes with Software 2.0 loaded on. The iPod touch also uses a different firmware download so it would be considered a completely different download.

I'm sure they have most phones sold in one day though. :)

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha Reaktor5,

I was thinking along the lines of the different versions of Firefox 3 (Windows, Linux, and Mac) being somewhat analogous to 2G iPhone and iPod touch firmware. Yes, the hardware is slightly different, but from what I understand, the firmware is close enough to be considered the same package. After all, both iPhones and the iPod touch will be running (iPhone) Firmware 2.0.

HawaiiMacAddict

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I think that a firmware upgrade for a phone is a different animal than a new browser point level release. A lot of people are going to be much more wary about updating their phones right away to make sure that there aren't any bugs in the update. I'd bet that it'll be an automatic download for iPhone users too, so I'm not sure if that would qualify it for the same record that Firefox just got.

marys

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Nope, I'm sure there won't be a new record. And neither in sales they won't do better than last year for a single day or just in the US. Probably they could do one for worldwide sales on July 11th.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox