Is "Unlimited" Data Really Unlimited?

sterling

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Do we know if Iphone data plans will really be unlimited?
I know that my current plan w/ AT&T (a grandfathered ppl allowing "unlimited data +1500 txt for $30/mnth) states it includes unlimited data, but a close review of my contract terms and conditions reveals my data is actually capped at 5GB. According to the fine print, If i hit the 5Gb mark AT&T will inform me and I can cancel service.

Have any of you current Iphone owners checked your contract? Is your iphone data package also capped at 5Gb? Will the new plan be capped as well?

Edit: Sorry, should this post be in the carrier discussion section? I'm new here, no flaming please! :D

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I am sure it will have the same cap. It isn't much of a problem though, because hitting 5 gigs of data is not easy. I am a heavy data user and the highest I have ever reached was around 700mb in a month.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
It's hard to reach 5Gb

Due to the fact that most of the use of the iPhone is through Wi-fi, the use through cellular towers (even at 3G speeds) is not as much. I would not worry about it. I haven't checked the limits, but I haven't reached a limit yet, and I use my iPhone a lot.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I can't imagine anyone using the iPhone, or any smartphone, for its intended purposes would go over. If you read the fine print the limits aren't so much designed to apply to normal use, it's more of a red flag on their end to make sure people aren't using the device in ways it's not intended for. I read the fine print on Verizon's and it was interesting what they said it was for.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
If someone is going over 5GB a month it typically means this person is illegally tethering their phone and thus the "cap" and red flag.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
My frame of reference is my VZW EVDO service on my current Treo 700p. I've never used more than 1.5GB with it in a month. I don't expect to use much more than that with the iPhone because most of the time I'll be on WiFi, whereas with the Treo my only choice is to use EVDO all the time.

BTW, if AT&T is following VZW's lead then they won't terminate you for using too much data, they'll just charge you by the MB (or even KB) once you go over the limit.

sterling

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I can't imagine anyone using the iPhone, or any smartphone, for its intended purposes would go over. If you read the fine print the limits aren't so much designed to apply to normal use, it's more of a red flag on their end to make sure people aren't using the device in ways it's not intended for. I read the fine print on Verizon's and it was interesting what they said it was for.

I respectfully disagree ;)

When tethering my BJII I had to keep a pretty close eye upon my usage; most months i was between 3GB and 4GB with just normal browsing and downloading (itunes albums, etc). One month I actually came right up to about 4.7 GB.

Also, I'm a sup for Verizon customer service and in my call center alone we'll get about 15-20 calls every week regarding data overages (VZW doesn't cut off service @ 5GB, you just incur some wicked overages). Granted, the majority of these are for broadband access cards, but a fair few are from smartphones.

just my $.02

Edit: I should clarify: my usage was probably high because I tethered my device to my laptop all the time. Without tethering, it would be pretty difficult to hit the cap.

Last edited:

1LegisNohandicap

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
AT&T Drop U

AT&T says "unlimited" but that has never really meant what websters definition of the word is. What is the exact limit again, where they have the right to cancel your contract and all that ?
thanks
Rob

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I respectfully disagree ;)

When tethering my BJII I had to keep a pretty close eye upon my usage; most months i was between 3GB and 4GB with just normal browsing and downloading (itunes albums, etc). One month I actually came right up to about 4.7 GB.

Also, I'm a sup for Verizon customer service and in my call center alone we'll get about 15-20 calls every week regarding data overages (VZW doesn't cut off service @ 5GB, you just incur some wicked overages). Granted, the majority of these are for broadband access cards, but a fair few are from smartphones.

just my $.02

Edit: I should clarify: my usage was probably high because I tethered my device to my laptop all the time. Without tethering, it would be pretty difficult to hit the cap.

You got it exactly right. Tethering was what put you up so high, not the device. You can't tether the iPhone 3G, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2