What do you guys think about the new plastic back on the iPhone?

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking, which iPhone is more prone to scratches. The old gen or the new iPhone, with it's plastic back? Also which iPhone do you think hides the scratches better? The white or the black?

Last edited:

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
i think white is less likely to show fingerprints.
if you get a shield, (like bodyguardz) you don't have to worry about scratches..

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I don't like the idea that someone can tell which phone I have if I pick the white one, it makes it more prone to thieves. IMO. As far as the change of material, I think it will help with reception and if you get a shield you can change it to a different color anyway.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I read on some first look at the iPhone (I forget which blog) that the white seems very feminine. I think white is a little odd seeing as though the front doesn't match the back. However, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder of the iPhone.

As far as the plastic back is concerned, I'm sure it will scratch more readily than the current iPhone, and when dropped, I could see it shattering instead of crumpling like the old iPhone would. I suppose this is why I'm going to be interested in purchasing a case. Hides fingerprints and protects it nicely.

michi_love

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I read on some first look at the iPhone (I forget which blog) that the white seems very feminine. I think white is a little odd seeing as though the front doesn't match the back. However, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder of the iPhone.

As far as the plastic back is concerned, I'm sure it will scratch more readily than the current iPhone, and when dropped, I could see it shattering instead of crumpling like the old iPhone would. I suppose this is why I'm going to be interested in purchasing a case. Hides fingerprints and protects it nicely.

I don't like the idea that someone can tell which phone I have if I pick the white one, it makes it more prone to thieves. IMO. As far as the change of material, I think it will help with reception and if you get a shield you can change it to a different color anyway.

You guys said it perfectly! I think people would be crazy NOT to buy some kind of protective case for it. I'm going to get invisibleShield for the front and an iSkin fuze for the rest of the phone. I hope it doesn't feel too toy-like or cheap but I honestly think it looks pretty substantial and of course, sexy heheh

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

I am a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan who happens to work with an Oakland Raiders fan. He told me that I should get the black model (I'm going to get the 16GB model, whenever I get it) as it matches the Raiders' color scheme. I relayed that to my wife, who then told me that I HAD to get the white model :eek: I'll have to take a look see at both of them before I make my final decision. As it stands now, I probably won't be getting one until next year anyway, so I'll have enough time to check them both out.

HawaiiMacAddict

marys

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
white will better hide fingerprints, black the scratches
the new iPhone will be more sensible to scratches than the one with metal back
overall, I'm going with the black one. it's more representative to the iPhone

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with either color. I am happy that the back is a material that will probably cut down on radio interference. I posted this other places, but I feel as though Apple puts form over function frequently. While I really like the look of the old iPhone back, there was a lot of comments on the metallic material interfering with reception on the phone. Plastic may be a bit more vulnerable to accidents but with a good case it should be well protected.

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm hoping the plastic is hard enough to sustain a hit. Not like I'm planning on banging up my iPhone 3G, but with the original iPhone 2G, the black plastic could take a beating - it's the aluminum backing that seems pliable that one nasty dent could throw the whole look off.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I liked the aluminum backing much more than the plastic. But if the plastic helps with better cell service then I'm for the plastic. I hope Apple made some sort of advanced plastic to resist scratches somewhat like what they did with the front glass. I was really impressed with the stress test videos with people grinding keys over the glass and it held up.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I liked the aluminum backing much more than the plastic. But if the plastic helps with better cell service then I'm for the plastic. I hope Apple made some sort of advanced plastic to resist scratches somewhat like what they did with the front glass. I was really impressed with the stress test videos with people grinding keys over the glass and it held up.

Really? The plastic back helps with reception? I didn't know that! With me, I'm no so worried about the plastic back. I'm going to put a silicone case on mine so it shouldn't scratch that much.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Really? The plastic back helps with reception? I didn't know that! With me, I'm no so worried about the plastic back. I'm going to put a silicone case on mine so it shouldn't scratch that much.

See for me, my reception can not get any better! With the current phone I get 5 bars most places that I go here in the Chicago area. That includes my basement! My last Sprint phone would be 1 bar, maybe Zero bars there...

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
i really haven't put a thought into the back shattering. seeing how the glass on the front kicks ass, i trust apple will make a sturdy back also. plus, i want all the reception i can get!

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a buddy with a 2G iPhone and the back on hers is totally beat up. Shows scratches like mad, and small dents on the sides. Not sure if she just beats up her iPhone or if that backing is more prone to show damage. I kinda like the plastic. If it is the same material that is used on the macbooks it should be pretty resilient.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Personally I prefer the aluminum of my iPhone, but with GPS and 3g now shoe-horned into the iPhone 3g, not counting the existing radios, you have to err on the sid eof radio reception rather than pure looks. Will be interesting to do side-by-side signal comparisons next week.

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I believe the plastic back will make the iPhone much less slippery. Also the plastic back is supposed to greatly improve the reception of the various radios in the iPhone, which is a real good thing.

Sinistar

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've never had the first iPhone but if it really does improve reception I'll take that over alum backs. I'm planning on getting a case anyways.

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty cool with the plastic back

So here are my thoughts. I've heard the whole deal about how the back being plastic might be because of two reasons:

1. It's cheaper to manufacture, thus cheaper to sell
  2. It helps with radio reception for 3g, WiFi, & Bluetooth

Since the bluetooth reception on the original iPhone wasn't that great, and since I like anything that doesn't cost so much, I'm pretty good with both of these reasons. I mean, they do make sense, don't they.

Anyway, although the old metal back was pretty much indestructible, I think I'll be ok with plastic.

Josh

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I hope it does not scratch easily

Well, it does look cooler, but if it scratches easily, then I believe I'll get a transparent cover. It improves reception, though!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234