Hong Kong has MMS - why not the US?

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

Hong Kong has plans that include MMS, but we can't get that here in the US. What's up with that? Did Apple not include it because AT&T wanted to charge too much for it? I don't see why a foreign country has it before we do. I don't have anything against foreign countries, but the iPhone IS an American product, so we should have the better options as early as everyone else.

HawaiiMacAddict

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha Bad Ash,

Thanks for the head's up. I neglected to note that when I originally read the reports myself. If true, it may point to AT&T not wanting to suck up the added cost of MMS vice SMS on the current iPhone plans. In other words, if they were giving 200 text messages per month with data for only $20/month, AT&T probably wanted to ensure that it was only SMS and not MMS, which has a higher cost due to larger file sizes (more pipe needed).

HawaiiMacAddict

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Either:

a) 2.0 enables MMS and 3 in HK is the only carrier willing to risk p!$$ing off Apple PR by pre-announcing it; or

b) They don't mean MMS like everyone else means MMS

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Apple people believe they know better

The iPhone does not have MMS because it is an "old" technology and the apple people believe that it is obsolete. It does not matter what we users think or want, unless we are corporate users, because then, they will definitely cater to our needs. I love my iPhone but I do have to acknowledge, there is something evil about Apple and their wanting to do their things the way they think is good for us, and not the way we users want them to be.

Nakheel

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
It seems like MMS is such an obvious feature?!

But I'm sure itll be added in future updates. Because Apple has been adding most of the things has been adding most of the features that iPhone users ask for (oh, except copy and paste!)

For now, we can still E-mail pictures right?

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
It's called "cafeteria menu." The more services you can charge for separately (look at the new $5 for 200 SMS messages) on an incremental basis, the more marginal profit to the carrier. All in one pricing is an albatross to maximizing profits and if you are going to steeply subsidize these phones, you look for revenue everywhere...it's not just a question of features available.

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that those reports aren't confirmed either. I don't think that even mighty Steve Jobs could get away with offering it to some countries and not to others. I mean, seriously, what would there be to gain by that?

Nakheel

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure it'll come along eventually. It can't be THAT hard for them to code into a software update, can it?

One thing that I'm wondering is whether or not Apple has included any surprises in 2.0 that they havn't told us about, and that we'll discover on July 11th. That would be cool!