3g Activation Home/In Store

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I thought this topic should have it's own thread as we are getting closer to release time. Nice little piece of info I came across yesterday.

"Reports of required in-store activation in the U.S. remain, but one unconfirmed tidbit we've heard is that customers with existing iPhones will be shunted to a separate line and will simply need provide the new IMEI number (printed on the outside of the box) from their iPhone 3G. Activation will reportedly then be completed at home after switching your sim card to the new phone and plugging into iTunes. If true, this would speed up sales for those upgrading their existing phones and also leave the iPhone 3G's packaging intact (to the relief of many)."

This would be nice if it was true.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Rogers iPhone 3G In-Store Activation Process Explained

Granted this is Rogers method of doing things, not At&t's but still interesting...

"In order to unbrick the iPhone in store (which is a requirement of the iPhone Sales Process), you must have iTunes version 7.6.3b4. Installed on your computer. This version has a special 'Activation Only Mode' that must be enabled and used in store.
The iTunes version that is currently available on the Apple website is version 7.6.2. This version does NOT have the activation only mode and as such please action the following steps to complete the installation of version 7.6.3b4: "

Ok this is interesting because later on it goes to say this:

"Note: As of July 11 2008, an updated version of iTunes (7.7) will be publicly available from Apple Canada. It will have the activation only mode built in (like 7.6.3b4) so you will not need to use unique Weblinks to download it. As it is a publicly available version of iTunes it still needs to be configured for store use. Therefore you MUST 'enable' version 7.7 in the same way as you did for version 7.6.3b4 that is detailed above."

I can see all the hackers getting real excited over this ^^^ now...

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
will this nessarily "speed up" the process? because if your in line more clerks are going to be focusing on the iphone 1 owners than new. a nother, faster line seems stupid. it would just go fine if the original iphone owner just waited in lline like the rest. and it would be more fair.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
will this nessarily "speed up" the process? because if your in line more clerks are going to be focusing on the iphone 1 owners than new. a nother, faster line seems stupid. it would just go fine if the original iphone owner just waited in lline like the rest. and it would be more fair.

I personally feel that right now this whole thing is a mess. I really hope they figure out what they are doing and it's done the best way. They should have just left it alone... :cool:

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Even if the new iTunes will have an activation mode, that doesn't mean the Apple and AT&T stores are going to let you walk out of the store without a contract. I think they will at least tie your IMEI number to a list of phones they didn't activate in store and if not registered in 30 days, pull the plug on said phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Even if the new iTunes will have an activation mode, that doesn't mean the Apple and AT&T stores are going to let you walk out of the store without a contract. I think they will at least tie your IMEI number to a list of phones they didn't activate in store and if not registered in 30 days, pull the plug on said phone.

Sooner or later I'm sure someone will figure something out... Only a matter of time.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i read somewhere today that Apple needs to "unbrick" the iphone prior to sale (i think slashdot).. perhaps, they need to put the final firmware on the phone once you get it? just specualtion on my part..

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Sound like a good idea but this probably wount work in att stores. you see the reps will want their comminssion so they will be activating everyone they touch in stores. tis is because last time iphones were sold and reps werent paid for them. (unlocking the phones)

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
will 3g come with 2.0?

Yep it will come with firmware 2.0. Seeing as how word on the street is that they finished it last Fri. I imagine they have some automated device loading the software on all of the iPhones and puting them in their new Eco friendly boxes. Now the question is why don't they just release it to the public??

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure there is a backup to do it at home, it is probably just a matter of downloading the special version itunes. Imagine att's itunes crashing or whatever, they must have some contingency plan. either way, I'll move in to the store as long as I get my phone!

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
yea, i expect clarification from at&t or apple ANY DAY now.
but then again we still don't have clarification on a lot of other things

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

All this confusion, and Apple is only working with ONE cell phone company. Imagine the possibility of all cell phone companies using the newer 4G network (I don't know if this is even technically feasible - it's just used for comparison purposes), and the confusion that will arise when comparing the plans for the other telcos.

Perhaps that would be a good thing, however AT&T has good service and rollover minutes, Verizon has the "most dependable" network, T-Mobile has a lot of people on their network with their mobile-to-mobile plans, etc... Each telco has their own "talking points", and that would definitely provide competition for additional users.

Of course, that would also serve to muddy the waters a bit unduly. What with the mess we're already anticipating for 11 July, I wouldn't want to really think about the mess created from all cell phone companies offering the iPhone :eek:

HawaiiMacAddict

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com

Bingo. I suspect this is the most likely method that we will see in the Apple Store. I seriously hope they know how geeks like us want to unbox new gadgets like it's a religious ceremony. Pulling the IMEI off of the box seems like the easiest way to accomplish this.

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
This makes some sense, but what the heck are they going to do if I buy the phone at 199 and I'm not eligible for an upgrade? Am I going to go to AT&T to get it activated and they are going to say....I'm sorry sir, you weren't upgrade eligible, you have to go pay the Apple Store another 200.00?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This makes some sense, but what the heck are they going to do if I buy the phone at 199 and I'm not eligible for an upgrade? Am I going to go to AT&T to get it activated and they are going to say....I'm sorry sir, you weren't upgrade eligible, you have to go pay the Apple Store another 200.00?

If you are not eligible you will not be buying the phone for $199 regardless if it is a Apple store or At&t store. Both places will be able to tell if you are upgrade eligible.

marys

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd say we shouldn't make any plans for an out-of-the-store activation. At least for now. They will be very strict

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I don't want them opening my box for me and playing with my phone before I get a chance to, why can't they just type the number in off the side of the box and activate it that way and let you leave the store

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77