Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Default Is 8GB Enough?

Well I am looking to get the new 3g iphone, it will be my first iphone. I really like the price of the 8gb model and very comfortable spending that amount. However I was wondering if that is enough space? I don't know what apps are going to be coming out with as time goes by but I think I want that aol aim app. I know too many apps will take up the space but I am not sure if I want to install lots of apps. I don't want any games on it I know that much.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by 3guser View Post
    Well I am looking to get the new 3g iphone, it will be my first iphone. I really like the price of the 8gb model and very comfortable spending that amount. However I was wondering if that is enough space? I don't know what apps are going to be coming out with as time goes by but I think I want that aol aim app. I know too many apps will take up the space but I am not sure if I want to install lots of apps. I don't want any games on it I know that much.
    I'm too much of an audiophile so I rip all my music in Apple lossless which means 8GB or 16GB wouldn't hold 20% of my current iTunes library. So, personally I want all the storage I can get. Video eats up a lot of room - if you plan on carrying a lot with you, I'd go for the 16GB personally (frequent business traveler so movies are important to me - Southworst doesn't show them in-flight). If you only want some applications & a few hundred tunes ripped at 128kps AAC? The 8GB would handle that easily. The apps aren't going to be that big for the most part. Now watch SMB (super monkey ball) eat like 300MB or something as soon as I say that . But video and low compression music would be the biggest consumers I would think.
    iPhone Newbie

I have the 8GB but am always running out of space, so plan on getting the 16GB.
    I don't have any photos on it, just the latest episode of my podcasts, a couple of movies and my contacts and bookmarks and some music, not a huge amount. This is why, if I want any of the new software, I really think I'll need the 16GB.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Thats why I can't make up my mind. I don't carry my music with me and I don't care for videos either. Maybe some pictures and things like that with a few apps but I have no plans for music or vids on my phone. I have other things I use for those. I guess it based all on how you plan to use it. I am going to have to think on this!
    iPhone Newbie

I'm in the same boat, wondering if I should go 8gb or 16gb.

On one hand, I figure that it's always better to have more space. On another hand, I'm not throwing out my iPod, and I feel like in a year, it will be time to get yet *another* new iPhone, so should I really pig out on 16gb right now?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ahambone View Post

On one hand, I figure that it's always better to have more space. On another hand, I'm not throwing out my iPod, and I feel like in a year, it will be time to get yet *another* new iPhone, so should I really pig out on 16gb right now?
    My thoughts exactly. Luckily (just for this reason... otherwise unlucky) I am buying my phone on July 17... hopefully more news will be out about the app sizes by then. While I am forced to wait until the 17 (contract is up with Verizon then) it may be a good idea to wait a few days (if you can handle it without exploding... like I feel I may) to get a read on the apps.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

8gigs should be plenty if you dont plan on having music/videos/games on it, but more memory is always better if you can afford it, just in case. I have about 200 cd albums so I'm assuming it would take every bit of that 8gigs so 16gigs for sure here.
    iPhone Newbie

Well, Apple announced that the largest app size possible will be 2 GB. I think the only applications being able to reach that size are meant for professional applications where thousands of images are necessary to illustrate something. If you take a look at the current iPhone software created by Apple, the entire OS takes up less than half a GB of memory. This should be a good judge of applications that are coming.

All in all, I'm definitely standing in line for an 8GB.
    iPhone Intermediate

3Guser,
    I think that 8GB is a good choice for you because you won't be using your iPhone for music or videos. The Apps won't fill up that much space. Like dhp1080 said, the largest app is 2GB. So I think the 8GB is a great choice I'm thinking about getting the 8GB myself.
    Vote for me for the Chapstick Youtube Contest! Wait for the banner, click the big thumbs up, and vote! Thank you! http://lnk.ms/KSBQn
    iPhone Newbie

Originally I was all set on the 8GB. I only use about 2GB on my ipod. But then I started reading the posts about "better to have too much memory" and all the talk about the potential for a 32 gb iphone coming out in not too long, and I realized that if I want to get my money's worth out of this phone, I may be best to just go with the 16gb and not end up needing to upgrade before my 2-year contract is up.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveiPhones View Post
    3Guser,
    I think that 8GB is a good choice for you because you won't be using your iPhone for music or videos. The Apps won't fill up that much space. Like dhp1080 said, the largest app is 2GB. So I think the 8GB is a great choice I'm thinking about getting the 8GB myself.
    I have been thinking about this all day and I agree with you. Since I will only use the phone for it emails and text and apps it should be plenty. I won't use it for music or games. I made up my mind right now im sticking with the 8gb.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ahambone View Post

I was thinking that too today. Thats why I think I'll save some money and get the 8gb.
    iPhone Beginner

Aloha everyone,

I currently have an 8GB 1st gen, but I'm able to manage 2-3 movies, a pretty good-sized music library, and a few jailbrake apps. That being said, I don't think I'll ever really have enough storage

HawaiiMacAddict
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
    Aloha everyone,

I currently have an 8GB 1st gen, but I'm able to manage 2-3 movies, a pretty good-sized music library, and a few jailbrake apps. That being said, I don't think I'll ever really have enough storage

HawaiiMacAddict
    With that being said Im sold on the 8GB! Thanks!!!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts

I would go for the 16 GB simply because well if/when they allow you to use the iPhone as a usb storage device you will be able to keep all of your other files on it. Also it will make the resale value that much better. Just look at the 4GB iPhones how much are those selling for now? I wish that they would have had the 16GB iPhones when I bought mine. Heck I wish they had a 1TB iPhone now I dont think everyone would be able to use that much space but I know I could.
    iPhone Newbie

I'm kinda concerned too...
    I probably only keep about 250 songs in my devices depending on my tastes that month, but I'm worried about going App crazy.
    Does anyone that has an iPhone now have alot of problem with their space due to apps?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

I think that should be enough for your average user. keep in mind if you add video and a bunch of songs you will be able to delete them for more memory. i really do think 8 will be enough unless you have a millions songs on your itunes
    iPhone Newbie

The way I look at it, I take a day, maybe two days worth of media, if I go on a short trip w/out MBP(which never happens). The only problem now is how many apps I want on it which can not be added or deleted then readded without buying them twice. I'm probably going with the 16 GB for that reason, but If you don't care about getting alot of applications, I'd just pick the media you want for the day or two and change it up when you get bored...
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

I lot of people are media crazy if so the 16gb I think is better, I still think that the average user who won't use much media except for apps then 8 should be enough. I least I sure hope so since apps won't take up much space from what I have been gathering.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 3guser View Post
    Thats why I can't make up my mind. I don't carry my music with me and I don't care for videos either. Maybe some pictures and things like that with a few apps but I have no plans for music or vids on my phone. I have other things I use for those. I guess it based all on how you plan to use it. I am going to have to think on this!
    Go with the 8 GB in this case
    I'll be doing the same. Don't need 16 GB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,222 Global Posts

I was just going to get 8Gb because, oh I already have an iPod for my serious music and video needs, etc. The iPhone is more of a phone to me.
    But then I got thinking. I 'm sure I'll put music on it, then want to put videos on it, then a movie or two, and some TV shows and then...."Dirt! Why didn't I get the 16GB, now I'm out of space."

It's just good to have that stuff on your phone so when you end up tied up somewhere waiting for hours you have entertainment.

But that's me. I'd rather buy higher and plan for the worst than regret not doing it.
    Plus I'm already paying 4 bones for it. I might as well go all the way.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marys View Post
    Go with the 8 GB in this case
    I'll be doing the same. Don't need 16 GB
    Ya I decided on the 8GB! Now can 8 days go buy faster?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

If they had a 32GB for $349/399, I probably would have gone for it. What about you guys?

It'll definitely be 16GB for me. I'm peaking at 7.2GB all the time.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

yea, 16 deffinatly. it is a no brainer. i will be constantly downloading things from the app store, plus i have enough music, videos, and podcasts to fill 3 16gb iphones.
    iPhone Newbie

Default Not really

I feel very limited with my 8Gb. However, I have to admit that the limited space allowed me to decide what music I like best and what pictures I really wanted to carry with me everywhere. I don't have to skip songs as often as I did with my 30Gb iPod, which was not full by any means. In the end, I don't resent having "only" 8Gb, but I wasn't willing to spend more for 16Gb. Not even this time, when it is "cheaper".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast