Overseas Using New iPhone

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I haven't used a phone with a SIM card in almost a decade (ah!)
Is it possible to pop in a pre-paid SIM in Europe next year and have the iPhone 3g work?

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes, silly! I cannot LIVE without a cell phone. :D
Verizon does not use SIM cards. Back when I was with Cingular (maybe it was 7 years ago) I had one... and I think my Cellular One account had one.... but I am not positive...

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

There is another thread asking just this same question, but from a slightly different perspective - why include the SIM extractor tool?. One possible purpose would be to pop in a different SIM, although I haven't seen anything on pre-paid SIMs - maybe it is just to pop in a SIM from a participating country while on vacation.

HawaiiMacAddict

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I just don't like the cost of AT&Ts overseas rates... they are frightening. Yes, I will be using a calling card from a pay phone when I call home BUT I am traveling with a group and when we need to meet up/are lost/etc. it would be nice to do it at a price that isn't going to break the bank.
Here's to hoping Orange and AT&T can work together to allow tourists to switch SIMS (raises glass).

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I just don't like the cost of AT&Ts overseas rates... they are frightening. Yes, I will be using a calling card from a pay phone when I call home BUT I am traveling with a group and when we need to meet up/are lost/etc. it would be nice to do it at a price that isn't going to break the bank.
Here's to hoping Orange and AT&T can work together to allow tourists to switch SIMS (raises glass).

Doubt it. Probably have to jailbreak/unlock to switch SIMs. I'm going to Mexico to see Mom so this will be something I'll be watching closely. If I jailbreak/unlock the phone, then pre-paid SIM and NO DATA roaming enabled on the iPhone would be my preference. Otherwise, I'll just live without a cell phone as previously which isn't the end of the world :D. Laptop, wi-fi, Skype - gets 95% of it right there. Besides, I have enjoyed being incommunicado for trips down there before (had VZW previously and once you leave the States, adios CDMA signal).

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I guess I can just buy some junky cheap phone off of Craigslist (if all else fails) and put a prepaid SIM into there when I head overseas...

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Might be a good plan. If you search around, you'll find a lot of horror stories about folks getting nailed on data simply because they didn't know any better than to disable data transfer on iPhones, Blackberrys, etc. In fact, I might go that route anyway since I'd hate to buy a new iPhone and then get jacked for it 2 weeks later in Mexico. Just have to go find the best pre-paid plan for Telcell with international calling.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73